This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

C. S. Lewis's Letters Vol II: A Review

The man. The myth.

C. S. Lewis's Letters Vol II: A Review

Postby Guest » July 5th, 2004, 4:49 pm

I have just finished reading the second volume of C. S. Lewis's Letters. I can heartily recommend it to all those interested in Lewis's life.

Lewis in the thirties does not shine out as he does in the forties. There, one really does got a sense of his holiness. I think this is not necessarily because he became a better man in the forties, but that the opportunities for it to come out in his letters became more frequent: a result of his radio broadcasts, which lead to many people asking him for advise and counsel over problems in their lives.

If any latinists read the Letters, they will enjoy Lewis's correspondence with Don Giovanni Calabria as the original Latin text is given alongside the English translation. Don Calabria died in the early fifties and I believe is a candidate for canonisation by the Catholic Church.

The only letters which I ever tired of were the thank you ones to to various American friends (Dr. Firor Warfield and Vera Mathews, especially) for gifts of food in the post war period. It was not that these were boring letters as such, but as Lewis himself says in those letters, there are only so many ways one can say thank you! BTW: I never appreciated how much America helped Britain (and indeed, Europe) after World War II in this regard. Apparantly they sent millions of pounds worth of food over. Given how America can sometimes antagonise one, this was good to read (I know the problem: I am confusing the American Government with the people.)

A while ago, Arend Smilde posted a link to A N Wilson's review of the Letters in the Times Literary Suppliment. If I remember rightly, Wilson called Lewis a mysoginist. He may even have quoted from the book in support of this statement. The truth is that Wilson was talking nonsense. No mysoginist would have maintained such a correspondence with women such as Lewis did - regular and very friendly - nor, if he had, spoken to them like Lewis did: supportive, loving, humble.

Anyway, I am really pleased and grateful to have been given this opportunity to read Lewis' Letters. Once more: I heartily recommend it!

Well done to Walter Hooper and HarperCollins for editing and producing a super book. Here's to Vol. III!

Malcolm

Re: C. S. Lewis's Letters Vol II: A Review

Postby Bill » November 14th, 2004, 10:28 pm

Time is the fire in which we burn!

Bill
Wardrobian

Postby Guest » November 15th, 2004, 9:48 pm

Postby Guest » November 17th, 2004, 9:54 am

I have been reading the second volume of Letters recently and I agree it is fascinating. There are so many bits of it that are worth reading that it's hard to pick out any for comment. I am glad that some of the letters show Mrs. Moore in an attractive light. Some people have written as though Lewis hated living with Mrs. Moore and only continued to do so out of charity. It is clear that he liked her and that the arrangement suited him.

It has been a long wait for this book. I seem to remember that the first publication date given for it was about three years ago. The third volume has now been given a 2005 publication date but who knows whether it really will come out next year.

I think Walter Hooper has done a very good job with this volume, though. There are a lot of detailed footnotes and brief biographies at the back of the book. All the same, I did notice a few places where I think he was wrong and a few where more information was needed.

By the way, Giovanni Calabria was canonised in 1999.

Postby Guest » November 17th, 2004, 5:47 pm

Return to C. S. Lewis