This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

C. S. Lewis' interaction with the Mormon faith

The man. The myth.

C. S. Lewis' interaction with the Mormon faith

Postby andy » October 6th, 2007, 1:56 am

Some friends and I recently were discussing a panel discussion from Brigham Young University that posed a number of connective themes from Lewis to Mormonism. I am not here to debate a faith stance. My question is: "Does anyone know what exposure (if any) that C. S. Lewis had to the Mormon faith?
andy
Wardrobian

Postby Leslie » October 6th, 2007, 3:11 pm

"What are you laughing at?"
"At myself. My little puny self," said Phillipa.
--Rumer Godden, In This House of Brede
Leslie
Wardrobian

Postby john » October 6th, 2007, 4:01 pm

It is a serious thing to live in a society of possible gods and goddesses, to remember that the dullest and most uninteresting person you talk to may one day be a creature which, if you saw it now, you would be strongly tempted to worship. - C. S. Lewis (The Weight of Glory)

There are a couple of books, written by members of the LDS church (Mormons), that attempt to tie their theology with the writings of Lewis.
You can look them up on your online bookstore of choice.

The Restored Gospel According to C.S. Lewis
C.S. Lewis: The Man and His Message

And now for something completely different:
john
Chief Wardrobian
john
Chief Wardrobian

Postby andy » October 25th, 2007, 3:17 pm

"When you get to a fork in the road . . .
Take it" - Yogi Berra
andy
Wardrobian

Postby Stanley Anderson » October 25th, 2007, 3:21 pm

There has been some suggestion in the past that the description of Eustace's parents in Voyage of the Dawn Treader might be a bit of a vague reference to Mormons. Can't say myself.

--Stanley
…on a night of rain Frodo smelled a sweet fragrance on the air and heard the sound of singing that came over the water. And then it seemed to him that as in his dream in the house of Bombadil, the grey rain-curtain turned all to silver glass and was rolled back, and he beheld white shores and beyond them a fair green country under a swift sunrise.
Stanley Anderson
Wardrobian

Postby john » October 25th, 2007, 3:43 pm

The only possible reference that would tie Eustace's parents to Mormonism is the fact that they were teetotalers and wore a different kind of underwear. He makes reference to vegetarianism as well, but that isn't part of LDS theology (although there are, of course, Mormon vegetarians...and it's possible that Lewis could have mistakingly believed it was).

To my knowledge, Lewis never had any direct exposure to anybody of the LDS faith. As one who was raised in the LDS church, I am quite certain that I would have heard of such an encounter.
john
Chief Wardrobian
john
Chief Wardrobian

Mormon

Postby galion » October 25th, 2007, 9:34 pm

galion
Wardrobian

Re: Mormon

Postby digorykirk » October 26th, 2007, 9:59 pm

digorykirk
Wardrobian

Postby galion » October 26th, 2007, 10:13 pm

galion
Wardrobian

Postby galion » October 26th, 2007, 10:14 pm

galion
Wardrobian

Postby john » October 26th, 2007, 11:26 pm

The real problem is when socks are worn with sandals. :tsk:
john
Chief Wardrobian
john
Chief Wardrobian

Postby loeee » October 26th, 2007, 11:28 pm

"You can't go walking through Mordor in naught but your skin."
Put on the full armor of God.
loeee
Wardrobian

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » October 29th, 2007, 9:43 am

Member of The 2456317 Club
Warrior 4 Jesus
Wardrobian

Postby Stanley Anderson » October 29th, 2007, 12:38 pm

What a coincidence! We were just watching the first Campion mystery episode (they are available on the Watch Now for free on Netflix (Campion is played by Peter Davison who was Tristan on All Creatures and Dr Who for a while I believe). It takes place in about that time frame and they are talking about a bunch of artists and progressives and they are described in part as "wearing sandals". So I knew what they were talking about because I read it first here on this thread!:-)

--Stanley
…on a night of rain Frodo smelled a sweet fragrance on the air and heard the sound of singing that came over the water. And then it seemed to him that as in his dream in the house of Bombadil, the grey rain-curtain turned all to silver glass and was rolled back, and he beheld white shores and beyond them a fair green country under a swift sunrise.
Stanley Anderson
Wardrobian

Return to C. S. Lewis