This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

A New Book About Lewis and Faith

The man. The myth.

A New Book About Lewis and Faith

Postby Carrie » February 29th, 2008, 1:32 am

Has anyone read "Is Your Lord Large Enough? How C. S. Lewis Expands Our View of God," by Dr. Peter Schakel, an English professor at Hope College? It looks to be quite the promising book, but I can't really afford it right now, so I want to know if it's good before I buy it. I never had Dr. Schakel in my English courses at Hope, but other people had him and loved him, so I'm assuming his writing will be good.
"I can do everything through Him who gives me strength." Phil 4:13

Member of The 2456317 Club
Carrie
Wardrobian

Postby repectabiggle » February 29th, 2008, 2:41 pm

I enjoyed Dr Schakel's Reading with the Heart: The Way into Narnia (since renamed, I believe) a long time ago, and I recently read his Reason and Imagination in C.S. Lewis: A Study of "till We Have Faces." I found Dr. Schakel's writing enjoyable and his understanding of Lewis's work enlightening. I'll admit that the title of his latest work doesn't exactly strike me as intriguing, but I would guess the book would be interesting and insightful despite that.
repectabiggle
Wardrobian

Postby Sven » February 29th, 2008, 10:21 pm

Rat! he found breath to whisper, shaking. Are you afraid?
Afraid? murmured the Rat, his eyes shining with unutterable love.
Afraid! Of Him? O, never, never! And yet -- and yet -- O, Mole, I am afraid!
Then the two animals, crouching to the earth, bowed their heads and did worship.
Sven

Postby Sven » March 5th, 2008, 10:19 pm

Rat! he found breath to whisper, shaking. Are you afraid?
Afraid? murmured the Rat, his eyes shining with unutterable love.
Afraid! Of Him? O, never, never! And yet -- and yet -- O, Mole, I am afraid!
Then the two animals, crouching to the earth, bowed their heads and did worship.
Sven

Postby Carrie » March 6th, 2008, 12:02 am

"I can do everything through Him who gives me strength." Phil 4:13

Member of The 2456317 Club
Carrie
Wardrobian

Postby Larry W. » March 6th, 2008, 8:43 pm

I remember Dr. Peter Schakel who taught a C. S. Lewis course that I took at Hope College when I was a student there many years ago. I read his first book Reading with the Heart: The Way into Narnia and found it to be a very helpful guide to interpreting the Narnia series. I'll be watching the book stores and libraries for the new book. Being a former student of his, I think you will enjoy his books as much as I enjoyed the course I took with him as professor over thirty years ago.

Larry w.
Larry W.
Wardrobian

Postby Larry W. » April 23rd, 2008, 12:43 pm

Searching through Amazon, I found a another book by Dr. Schakel, The Way into Narnia: A Reader's Guide, published in 2005. Was this a revision of his earlier book, Reading with the Heart? I am going to borrow it from the library since it appears to be an updated version of his previous book.

Larry W.
Larry W.
Wardrobian

Postby repectabiggle » April 23rd, 2008, 2:06 pm

Yes, Larry, they are the same book, with, I think, minor revisions.

I have a special affection for Dr. Schakel's work as it was the first work about Narnia/Lewis I ever read.
repectabiggle
Wardrobian

Return to C. S. Lewis