This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

Mary Midgley on C. S. Lewis

The man. The myth.

Postby Arend Smilde » April 13th, 2008, 7:23 pm

Ever heard of Mary Midgley? She was born in 1919 the daughter of an Anglican curate and began studying in Oxford in 1938. She married in 1950, raised a family, and for many years taught moral philosophy at the University of Newcastle. Her first book was published in 1978 when she was 59. Her autobiography The Owl of Minerva appeared in 2005. Her writing is a marvel of readability.

Years ago I wrote to ask her for possible reminiscences of C. S. Lewis. The result was far from disappointing. The letters are now posted on my website at .
Last edited by Arend Smilde on April 19th, 2008, 9:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Arend Smilde
Wardrobian

Postby A#minor » April 13th, 2008, 10:38 pm

"My brain and this world don't fit each other, and there's an end of it!" - G.K. Chesterton
A#minor
Wardrobian

Postby kbrowne » April 15th, 2008, 11:37 am

kbrowne
Wardrobian

Postby Arend Smilde » April 15th, 2008, 1:34 pm

Yes, that piece is now online:
http://www.philosophynow.org/issue64/64midgley.htm.
I found this through the "Selected Articles" list following the Wikipedia item on MM.
Arend Smilde
Wardrobian

Postby Mornche Geddick » May 20th, 2008, 11:53 am

Mornche Geddick
Wardrobian

Postby postodave » August 17th, 2008, 4:10 pm

So I drew my sword and got ready
But the lamb ran away with the crown
postodave
Wardrobian

Postby postodave » August 29th, 2008, 9:13 pm

I've finished 'The Ethical Primate' She raises some very good points especially the one about abstraction being necessarily relative or partial truth. Her point about the various enlightenment views of ethics involving a dualism placing one aspect of human nature considered as an abstraction over and against our supposedly causally determined animal nature is also very much to the point. However I'm left wondering if she is still not reductive in her own view of ethics in that she reduces it to the affective. That is she regards ethics as a quest for psychological harmony, as a way of finding inner peace in the midst of conflicting desires. This raises the question why ought we to seek this kind of peace. Can we get beyond the purely descriptive and in some measure determined desire to do so? Is the ethical choice sometimes the most upsetting?

I would also like to see how she would fit her ideas in with forms of therapy more recent than Freud. A comparison with Carl Rogers would be very interesting.
So I drew my sword and got ready
But the lamb ran away with the crown
postodave
Wardrobian

Return to C. S. Lewis