This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

World Religions;

The man. The myth.

Postby Robert » June 9th, 2008, 6:44 pm

[I am] Freudian Viennese by night, by day [I am] Marxian Muscovite

--Robert Frost--
Robert
Wardrobian

Postby Kolbitar » June 10th, 2008, 12:55 pm

The man who lives in contact with what he believes to be a living Church is a man always expecting to meet Plato and Shakespeare tomorrow at breakfast. He is always expecting to see some truth that he has never seen before. --Chesterton

Sober Inebriation: http://soberinebriationblog.blogspot.com/
Kolbitar
Wardrobian

Postby Karen » June 10th, 2008, 2:00 pm

Hi Jesse,

If I may leap in here, there's a pretty big divide on this between Orthodox and Conservative Judaism. While you can certainly find some Conservative Jews who are atheists or agnostics (I know a few of the latter myself), I imagine that number is vanishingly small among the Orthodox. Their entire way of life is built around the belief that God exists and is to be worshipped and glorified through prayer and the mitzvot, extending, in detail, to every single facet of one's life. Hence their strict adherence to Torah and Talmudic law. (And of course there are different 'flavors' of Orthodoxy, ranging from Modern Orthodox such as Joe Lieberman, to the haredi, or ultra-Orthodox. Each group has its own take on how to live one's life towards God.)

The best website I've found for understanding the basics of Judaism, written from the Orthodox point of view, is this one: . As for Conservative beliefs, this page may be of help: . I'm sure Rose will have others.
I have always imagined that paradise will be a kind of library. -- Jorge Luis Borges
Karen
Wardrobian

Postby JRosemary » June 10th, 2008, 2:28 pm

JRosemary
Wardrobian

Postby Kolbitar » June 10th, 2008, 3:12 pm

The man who lives in contact with what he believes to be a living Church is a man always expecting to meet Plato and Shakespeare tomorrow at breakfast. He is always expecting to see some truth that he has never seen before. --Chesterton

Kolbitar
Wardrobian

Postby Kolbitar » June 10th, 2008, 3:16 pm

Kolbitar
Wardrobian

Postby JRosemary » June 10th, 2008, 3:39 pm

JRosemary
Wardrobian

Postby Dan65802 » June 13th, 2008, 5:14 pm

"Returning hate for hate multiplies hate, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that." - Martin Luther King
Dan65802
Wardrobian

Postby john » June 13th, 2008, 6:18 pm

john
Chief Wardrobian
john
Chief Wardrobian

Postby Dan65802 » June 13th, 2008, 6:21 pm

Well, ahem, if you're, um, zealous enough (boom-chicka-waugh-waugh).

- Dan -
"Returning hate for hate multiplies hate, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that." - Martin Luther King
Dan65802
Wardrobian

Postby Leslie » June 13th, 2008, 6:25 pm

"What are you laughing at?"
"At myself. My little puny self," said Phillipa.
--Rumer Godden, In This House of Brede
Leslie
Wardrobian

Postby john » June 13th, 2008, 6:56 pm

john
Chief Wardrobian
john
Chief Wardrobian

Previous

Return to C. S. Lewis