This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

The Kilns designated as an historic landmark

The man. The myth.

The Kilns designated as an historic landmark

Postby Dan65802 » 24 Jul 2008, 19:20

C.S. Lewis Home to be Designated as Historic Landmark

The Oxford home where Christian scholar and author C.S. Lewis wrote the popular The Chronicles of Narnia series is being designated as a historic landmark.

Thu, Jul. 24, 2008 Posted: 09:00 AM EDT

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Oxford home where Christian scholar and author C.S. Lewis wrote the popular The Chronicles of Narnia series is being designated as a historic landmark.

Lewis lived at The Kilns from 1930 until he died in 1963. It was at the Kilns where he wrote many of his works, from The Screwtape Letters to the Narnia series.

The Oxfordshire Blue Plaques Board will be unveiling a special blue plaque at The Kilns on Saturday, July 26, to mark Lewis' contribution to scholarship and literature, according to a news release.

Lewis wrote a total of 40 books in his lifetime but is widely known for The Chronicles of Narnia, based on four children who lived with Lewis and his family as evacuees during the Second World War. The first installment of the series, The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe, was adapted to the silver screen by Disney in 2005. In May 2008, the second book, Prince Caspian, also hit theaters.

Although his children's fiction books were widely popular, Lewis was also known as a Christian apologist. Lewis' books, including Mere Christianity, The Problem of Pain and Miracles, which responded to common objections to Christianity proved him to be one of the most influential Christian apologists of his time.

To date, his books have sold over a 100 million copies.

"We have very stringent rules and only award blue plaques for the highest level of achievement," says Eda Forbes, secretary to the Oxfordshire Blue Plaques, which recognizes famous residences in Oxford with a permanently-installed plaque.

The Kilns is now a Christian study center owned by the C.S. Lewis Foundation in California.

Stan Mattson, founder and president of the C.S. Lewis Foundation, and Walter Hooper, Lewis' former secretary and literary advisor to his estate, will join in the plaque unveiling event.

While the plaque will be the latest addition to the restored Kilns, the estate still houses the period wardrobe that inspired the magical portal in Lewis' Narnia story.

Katherine T. Phan
Christian Post Reporter

- Dan -
"Returning hate for hate multiplies hate, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that." - Martin Luther King
Dan65802
Wardrobian

Postby Sven » 24 Jul 2008, 19:48

Good catch, Dan!

Here's what the plaques look like:

Rat! he found breath to whisper, shaking. Are you afraid?
Afraid? murmured the Rat, his eyes shining with unutterable love.
Afraid! Of Him? O, never, never! And yet -- and yet -- O, Mole, I am afraid!
Then the two animals, crouching to the earth, bowed their heads and did worship.
Sven
Wardrobian

Postby matdonna » 29 Jul 2008, 02:13

I think they got the bit about the wardrobe wrong though.....I think there is **A** period wardrobe in the house, but it didn't belong to Lewis originally..... Both Wheaton College in IL. and another school apparently claim to have "the" wardrobe that had some sort of inspirational influence on Lewis.....
matdonna
Wardrobian

Postby Paul F. Ford » 09 Aug 2008, 23:27

matdonna wrote:[snip] Both Wheaton College in IL. and another school apparently claim to have "the" wardrobe that had some sort of inspirational influence on Lewis.....

The other school is Westmont College in Santa Barbara, California: http://www.westmont.edu/_academics/departments/english/cs-lewis-wardrobe.html

Blessings,
Paul
Paul Ford—self-appointed president of the "245-3617 Club" and proud member of the "245-6317 Club"; author of the Companion to Narnia and the Pocket Companion to Narnia.
Paul F. Ford
Wardrobian

Postby Dan65802 » 11 Aug 2008, 13:49

I suppose you could make two wardrobes from a magical apple tree.

- Dan -
"Returning hate for hate multiplies hate, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that." - Martin Luther King
Dan65802
Wardrobian

Postby CKinna » 19 Aug 2008, 22:42

I had the honor of living in the Kilns for 1 week this summer (and I also had the money - now I have none) and the main wardrobe in the hall by the kitchen is a mirrored wardrobe - almost like the one at Westmont. Every bedroom has a wardrobe as well, more like the one at Wheaton, though not as large. I will field any other questions concerning the details of the Kilns for, let's say, $2 a question.
What does not satisfy when we find it, was not the thing we were desiring. - Brother Jack
CKinna
Wardrobian

Postby Stanley Anderson » 20 Aug 2008, 00:02

I've wondered in the past whether the curiosity about whether a particular wardrobe is THE wardrobe that inspired Lewis is really an American (or perhaps fairly recent) phenomenon because wardrobes are somewhat unusual to find here and seem "odd" to American eyes, and so one thinks of them as rare (and since Witches and Lions are relatively rare in our experience too, we lump Wardrobes in the same "mythical" category). And I mention "recent" because I don't know what it is like in England now -- perhaps they are also rarer these days and seem "unusual" there too now? Not sure -- maybe any Brits can say more there.

In any case, if they are as ubiquitous as you seem to indicate, CKinna, then perhaps the question of what is THE wardrobe would be like asking which particular horse or boy in Lewis' life inspired him to pattern Bree and Shasta's character after in The Horse and His Boy.

--Stanley
…on a night of rain Frodo smelled a sweet fragrance on the air and heard the sound of singing that came over the water. And then it seemed to him that as in his dream in the house of Bombadil, the grey rain-curtain turned all to silver glass and was rolled back, and he beheld white shores and beyond them a fair green country under a swift sunrise.
Stanley Anderson
Wardrobian

Postby repectabiggle » 20 Aug 2008, 05:04

I agree, Stanley. A wardrobe is something vaguely exotic to most Americans. Maybe if it were The Lion, The Witch and the Closet, we wouldn't try too hard to figure out which closet it was that inspired Lewis.
repectabiggle
Wardrobian

Postby CKinna » 20 Aug 2008, 12:10

More personal experience, I stayed in two B&Bs and each had a wardrobe in the bedroom. These were older buildings. I also stayed at Keble College, Oxford and Robinson College, Cambridge (Oxbridge 2008 - again, I now have no money and will share my experiepences for $2 a memory) anyway, the dorm rooms I stayed at were more recent, 1980's or so, and no wardrobe. So, you might be on to something. I am 34 and have never had a wardrobe in any house I lived in.
What does not satisfy when we find it, was not the thing we were desiring. - Brother Jack
CKinna
Wardrobian

Postby matdonna » 23 Aug 2008, 02:40

CKinna wrote:I had the honor of living in the Kilns for 1 week this summer (and I also had the money - now I have none) and the main wardrobe in the hall by the kitchen is a mirrored wardrobe - almost like the one at Westmont. Every bedroom has a wardrobe as well, more like the one at Wheaton, though not as large. I will field any other questions concerning the details of the Kilns for, let's say, $2 a question.

snicker....if I'd thought there was money in it, I would have taken more pictures when I was there! :lol:
matdonna
Wardrobian

Return to C. S. Lewis