This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

Lilith

The man. The myth.

Lilith

Postby Guest » October 16th, 2004, 8:23 am

Re: Lilith

Postby Guest » October 16th, 2004, 4:31 pm

Postby Guest » October 17th, 2004, 3:14 pm

Thanks for the thought Bigsleep.

In the same passage CSLewis refers to giants, which we know have biblical endorsement. He also refers to the Jinn, from which the modern day Genie is derived from, ala the Aladdin movie. Lilith also has biblical precedence in Isaiah.

It's an interesting subject does anyone else have any light to throw on it?

Postby jen » October 23rd, 2004, 10:37 pm

I have been one aquainted with the night.
I have walked out in rain - and back in rain.
I have out walked the furthest city light.
-frost
jen
Wardrobian

Postby Karen » October 24th, 2004, 1:46 am

I have always imagined that paradise will be a kind of library. -- Jorge Luis Borges
Karen
Wardrobian

Postby Solomons Song » November 8th, 2004, 6:15 pm

That is interesting. I have a Bible that lists screech owl as shrich owl. It's a KJV.

I may be mistaken, but I think Lillith was mentioned at various times in Jewish mythology.
Member of the "2453617 Club"
Solomons Song
Wardrobian

Postby Guest » November 18th, 2004, 11:53 am

Yeah the KJV seems to be at a loss how to translate Lilith. The NASV translates it "night monster" (verse 14) but uses Lilith in the margin.

I wondered what CSLewis made of Lilith: a time before Eve where something or someone roamed the earth? Myths, as CSLewis pointed out can play a part in finding the truth. We don't know too much about the Nephilim but their offspring seem feature in Greek mythology. Isn't it the Titans who inhabit Tartarus? The NT certainly mentions Tartarus. CSLewis said something about the Divine spark being ingnited through the pagan or pre-Christian imagination. CSLewis used Lilith in The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe maybe he had an angle on the Hebrew story.

Return to C. S. Lewis