This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

N T Wright on C S Lewis

The man. The myth.

N T Wright on C S Lewis

Postby postodave » October 27th, 2008, 11:43 pm

I found this which I think has never appeared in these pages and wondered what people thought:
So I drew my sword and got ready
But the lamb ran away with the crown
postodave
Wardrobian

Postby Sven » October 28th, 2008, 7:18 pm

Rat! he found breath to whisper, shaking. Are you afraid?
Afraid? murmured the Rat, his eyes shining with unutterable love.
Afraid! Of Him? O, never, never! And yet -- and yet -- O, Mole, I am afraid!
Then the two animals, crouching to the earth, bowed their heads and did worship.
Sven

Postby Wixenstyx » October 28th, 2008, 9:20 pm

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
And one of the elders saith unto me, "Weep not:
Behold, the Lion of the tribe of Judah hath prevailed..."
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Member of the 2456317 Club
Wixenstyx
Wardrobian

Postby rusmeister » November 2nd, 2008, 3:15 am

"Eh? Two views? There are a dozen views about everything until you know the answer. Then there's never more than one."
Bill "The Blizzard" Hingest - That Hideous Strength
rusmeister
Wardrobian

Postby JRosemary » November 2nd, 2008, 1:15 pm

JRosemary
Wardrobian

Postby rusmeister » November 2nd, 2008, 5:38 pm

This is all clear, JR - my understanding and definition of "Incarnation" is clearly far narrower than Wright's. It means "becoming flesh" - no less. This is distinct from God's activity in the world without flesh.
"Eh? Two views? There are a dozen views about everything until you know the answer. Then there's never more than one."
Bill "The Blizzard" Hingest - That Hideous Strength
rusmeister
Wardrobian

Postby postodave » November 2nd, 2008, 11:10 pm

postodave
Wardrobian

Postby JRosemary » November 2nd, 2008, 11:51 pm

JRosemary
Wardrobian

Re: N T Wright on C S Lewis

Postby Zattara08 » December 2nd, 2008, 3:40 pm

Interesting article! Thanks for the link!

I was wondering if you think that N.T.'s attempt in his book titles helps him sell books? Does grabbing onto the coat tails of Lewis peddle more books?

I have read both surprised by hope and simply Christian but I did not find the clarity of speech that Lewis is so known for? A little nitpicky I know but I find that a lot of people who are not Christians read Wright. (Thank you Colbert Report) Why do you think he has such a readership among non-christians? Especially given that he is not exactly a liberal theologian?
"These are the days when the Christian is expected to praise every creed except his own." G.K. Chesterton
Zattara08

Postby Karen » December 2nd, 2008, 6:02 pm

I have always imagined that paradise will be a kind of library. -- Jorge Luis Borges
Karen
Wardrobian

Postby Leslie » December 2nd, 2008, 6:17 pm

"What are you laughing at?"
"At myself. My little puny self," said Phillipa.
--Rumer Godden, In This House of Brede
Leslie
Wardrobian

Postby Zattara08 » December 3rd, 2008, 5:08 am

Concerning N.T. Wright, he was on the Colbert report and received a very generous greeting. He actually did very well to by the way!

Many of the non-Christians that I work with are familiar with his work and do not forget that Anthony Flew was heavily influenced by Wright in his recent conversion (if you may call it that) to deism. It is very true that bringing Christianity back to its basics was Wright's goals. Especially his four proofs for God. Powerful stuff. However, he still is a rather conservative scholar (maybe except for his ideas of pauline literature) that is looked at without the usual stereotypes associated with the label. I just wonder why that is? The only other person I can think of like that is maybe Ravi Zacharias?

And I hope I did not imply that he was grabbing onto Lewis' coattails as a negative thing. I just wonder if that has sold more of his books and if he benefited more from that association then his book itself? I guess overall I'm just interested if Wright could be 80 years from now what Lewis is to us today?
"These are the days when the Christian is expected to praise every creed except his own." G.K. Chesterton
Zattara08

Postby Karen » December 3rd, 2008, 1:26 pm

I have always imagined that paradise will be a kind of library. -- Jorge Luis Borges
Karen
Wardrobian

Postby postodave » December 4th, 2008, 12:24 am

He is like Lewis in that he has written both scholarly and popular books. However his scholarly books are more directly theological whereas Lewis's were in the field of literature. Personally I didn't like Simply Christian. He is a good communicator but it's his more scholarly work that is most impressive. He is not really a full on post millenialist. He once was but came to reject one specific aspect of traditional postmillenialism (the conversion of the Jews bit. He does not think all Israel shall be saved refers to large numbers of Jews becoming Christians.) But his eschatology is optimistic and I think he is right even where he would differ from a full on postmillenialist like Keith Matheson.
postodave
Wardrobian

Return to C. S. Lewis