This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

Anthony Flew on C. S. Lewis

The man. The myth.

Anthony Flew on C. S. Lewis

Postby postodave » 30 Oct 2008, 14:31

Here is another entry in the now popular 'on C. S. Lewis' series:

Habermas: So, take C. S. Lewis's argument for morality as presented in Mere Christianity.13 You didn't find that to be very impressive?

Flew: No, I didn't. Perhaps I should mention that, when I was in college, I attended fairly regularly the weekly meetings of C. S. Lewis's Socratic Club. In all my time at Oxford these meetings were chaired by Lewis. I think he was by far the most powerful of Christian apologists for the sixty or more years following his founding of that club. As late as the 1970s, I used to find that, in the USA, in at least half of the campus bookstores of the universities and liberal art colleges which I visited, there was at least one long shelf devoted to his very various published works.

Habermas: Although you disagreed with him, did you find him to be a very reasonable sort of fellow?

Flew: Oh yes, very much so, an eminently reasonable man.

I certainly didn't know Flew had presented papers at the socratic club including one major one on theism and falsifiability.
So I drew my sword and got ready
But the lamb ran away with the crown
postodave
Wardrobian

Return to C. S. Lewis