This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

Athanasius on the Incarnation

The man. The myth.

Athanasius on the Incarnation

Postby postodave » December 20th, 2008, 12:48 am

Not sure if this belongs here or in 'Religion, Science and Philosophy'. However as it is not often you get a full Lewis essay online and as there is one here Moderator edit: Link removed. I love the book and I love Lewis's introduction but I only found it on line tonight when looking for reading suggestions for dragonfly. I would just like to invite anyone who has not read it before to take a look at both book and introduction and share any thoughts or indeed to offer those who have read it a chance of a reread. My faviourite section is chapter 17 - part of what is called Chapter 3 in this online version - you have to look at the numbers in brackets to get the old chapter headings. The usual criticism of Athanasius is that he does not see Christ as having a true human soul and it would be possible to read chapter 17 in that way but actually the book can be interpreted in a way that is compatible with later orthodoxy. But that raises a question. Lewis says that when reading modern books we are like those coming into a dialogue part way through; is this not equally so with old books? Can we read this book correctly without some knowledge of early controversies about the nature of Christ?
So I drew my sword and got ready
But the lamb ran away with the crown
postodave
Wardrobian

Re: Athanasius on the Incarnation

Postby Sven » December 20th, 2008, 7:31 pm

Sorry, postodave, but I've removed your link. The Lewis estate is rather fussy about copyrighted material posted on the web, and Lewis' introduction is one such piece. They've retitled it 'On the Reading of Old Books' and published it in several collections. Anyone who wants to seek out an online copy of The Incarnation of the Word of God can find it easily enough by web search.
Rat! he found breath to whisper, shaking. Are you afraid?
Afraid? murmured the Rat, his eyes shining with unutterable love.
Afraid! Of Him? O, never, never! And yet -- and yet -- O, Mole, I am afraid!
Then the two animals, crouching to the earth, bowed their heads and did worship.
Sven

Postby postodave » December 20th, 2008, 10:27 pm

Sorry then Sven. I was guessing this had slipped round the usual restrictions by being part of something else.
So I drew my sword and got ready
But the lamb ran away with the crown
postodave
Wardrobian

Postby rusmeister » December 22nd, 2008, 7:40 pm

There are few things I enjoy more than getting around greedy estates. (Not that I could buy any of that stuff anyway, although I would if I could)
Fifty years after an author's death ought to be the absolute max any corporation could hold rights. I'd outlaw even that except for non-corporate family - the purpose of those laws (extension beyond death) is to benefit the families. Period.
"Eh? Two views? There are a dozen views about everything until you know the answer. Then there's never more than one."
Bill "The Blizzard" Hingest - That Hideous Strength
rusmeister
Wardrobian

Postby john » December 24th, 2008, 4:50 pm

john
Chief Wardrobian
john
Chief Wardrobian

Return to C. S. Lewis