This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

C.S. Lewis & the star of Bethlehem

The man. The myth.

C.S. Lewis & the star of Bethlehem

Postby matdonna » 21 Dec 2008, 00:06

Well, sort of. Lewis & medieval view of astronomy in Christianity Today

http://www.christianitytoday.com/bc/2008/janfeb/15.30.html?start=1
matdonna
Wardrobian

Re: C.S. Lewis & the star of Bethlehem

Postby postodave » 21 Dec 2008, 12:13

Two thoughts. Firstly Barfield's understanding of science seems to have strong affinities with Michael Polanyi's concept of science as personal rather than objective knowledge.
Secondly there is one astrological passage in the New Testament which Farrar refers to that is not mentioned here, Revelation 12 v 1-2
And a great sign appeared in heaven: a woman clothed with the sun, with the moon under her feet, and on her head a crown of twelve stars. She was pregnant and was crying out in birth pains and the agony of giving birth.

If as Farrar suggests this is a reference to the constellation of Virgo then you can use the astronomical information to calculate the date of Jesus's birth. You have to find a time when the Sun was in the middle of Virgo with the moon under her feet. and those who have done this have calculated Jesus's birthday as 11th September 4 B.C. I'm a little skeptical myself since I find it hard to imagine John in prison surrounded with astrological charts and exact knowledge of Jesus's birthday but there you go. I do think the idea of astrological symbolism coming into Revelation is plausible, just not at that that level of detail and it does suggest that some of the present day Christian hostility to astrology may be misplaced.

Anyway the article was great - a lot of food for thought.
So I drew my sword and got ready
But the lamb ran away with the crown
postodave
Wardrobian

Return to C. S. Lewis