This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

One quirky thing to come from reading Lewis

The man. The myth.

One quirky thing to come from reading Lewis

Postby MoogieCha » February 4th, 2009, 7:51 am

Would anyone care to share one surprising or quirky thing (discovery?) brought about by your interest in Lewis or his works?

Thanks to Lewis, I learned what the word "erudite" meant. I was sitting next to a woman on the plane who noticed I was reading one of Lewis' books (I don't even remember which one) and we got to talking about him. She was a professor at a woman's college. She told me she enjoyed reading Lewis' works, even his books on Christianity (she wasn't a believer, herself), saying she found him very "erudite." I looked the word up after I got home and remember to this day what it means and how I learned it. I must have been the last person that age to learn its meaning!
MoogieCha
Wardrobian

Re: One quirky thing to come from reading Lewis

Postby hammurabi2000 » February 7th, 2009, 3:08 pm

I used to write a regular report to the Board of a major organisation. I hada game by which I would see if I could get an obscure word into the report. I always got at least one my director insisted I changed because it might test the knowledge of the Board [university professors, senior business executives.....et al] too far.

I used to find it highly amusing; I'm not sure if he did. :toothy-grin:
Wardrobian since 1999
hammurabi2000
Wardrobian

Postby MoogieCha » February 8th, 2009, 5:41 am

Thanks for posting, hammurabi2000. :smile:

What you did is actually quite funny. I would have looked forward to your newsletter, if I'd been on that Board!
MoogieCha
Wardrobian

Postby CKinna » February 8th, 2009, 10:41 am

Often while reading Lewis I learn a new word or phrase. Just the other day I ran across Irish Bull in Mere Christianity. A new phrase for me, even though I have read MC numerous times - I suppose I skipped over the phrase in the past. Small things like that happen often, the bull being the latest of many examples. I believe I too first learned the word erudite in a Lewis conversation or reading something about him.
What does not satisfy when we find it, was not the thing we were desiring. - Brother Jack
CKinna
Wardrobian

Postby MoogieCha » February 15th, 2009, 8:18 am

MoogieCha
Wardrobian

Postby moogdroog » February 16th, 2009, 2:46 pm

moogdroog
Wardrobian

Postby Michael » February 16th, 2009, 10:31 pm

I learned what Turkish Delight is. I had never heard of it before reading the book. :smile:
"A man can no more diminish God's glory by refusing to worship Him than a lunatic can put out the sun by scribbling the word, 'darkness' on the walls of his cell."
Michael
Wardrobian

Postby CKinna » February 16th, 2009, 10:39 pm

Without Lewis I never would have tried Turkish Delight - for this I am not too grateful.
What does not satisfy when we find it, was not the thing we were desiring. - Brother Jack
CKinna
Wardrobian

Postby teomiriam » February 27th, 2009, 1:52 pm

I loved Turkish Delight as a kid :grin: , now I find it a bit too sweet, I would rather have chocolate than that :rolleyes:
"Getting rid of dragons is not at all my line, but I'll do my best to think about it"" Bilbo Baggins
teomiriam
Wardrobian

Re: from Turkish Delight to canned tongue

Postby MoogieCha » February 28th, 2009, 5:03 am

OK this is off (the original) topic, but I tried Turkish Delight as a result of reading another book. For some reason, I remember it being Harriet the Spy, but I can't seem to find any references online to back this up. Anyone remember if there was Turkish Delight in the book?

[Now way off topic] - I remember always wanting to know what it felt like to sleep on heather, from reading all the Enid Blyton books, particularly the Famous Five series. And I also yearned to try canned tongue and ginger beer after reading those books (I think I've mentioned this in a post years ago).
MoogieCha
Wardrobian

Postby teomiriam » February 28th, 2009, 11:01 am

I've been trying to remember a quirky thing that came from reading C.S. Lewis and after some time I remembered that it's in his Surprised by Joy that I first encountered the word agnostic, and funny thing is I've been coming across it very often since then :thinking: I'm sure there are lots of other words and things I've learned from his books, but nothing else comes to my mind now
"Getting rid of dragons is not at all my line, but I'll do my best to think about it"" Bilbo Baggins
teomiriam
Wardrobian

Re: my quirky thing to come from reading Lewis

Postby boink1 » May 3rd, 2009, 2:02 am

Well, in the Chronicles of Narnia, I always felt that Lewis did a lot of talking about food, discussions of hot chocolate and sausages burnt just right. Later I heard somone mention (here?) that the CoN were written during the WWII when rationing was going on, so Lewis (and other around him) would have had plenty of time to think of food.

That would a explain a few things anyway, but I always thought such matters were good fun and unphilosophical.

Would be fun to share a beer and a good discussion with him someday....
boink1

Re: my quirky thing to come from reading Lewis

Postby MoogieCha » May 8th, 2009, 9:09 pm

MoogieCha
Wardrobian

Postby nomad » May 9th, 2009, 3:18 am

I always want to take pictures of lamp posts. Especially ones that look like the one in Banes' illustration.
member of the 2456317 club
"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best -- " and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called.
nomad
Wardrobian

Postby gameld » May 16th, 2009, 5:44 pm

i can honestly say that csl is the reason i've decided to become a classics major before pursuing a masters in english ed. his love and use of mythology really inspired me.
gameld
Wardrobian

Next

Return to C. S. Lewis