This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

Favorite Quote from C.S. Lewis

The man. The myth.

Favorite Quote from C.S. Lewis

Postby teomiriam » February 19th, 2009, 1:53 pm

"Getting rid of dragons is not at all my line, but I'll do my best to think about it"" Bilbo Baggins
teomiriam
Wardrobian

Re: Favorite Quote from C.S. Lewis

Postby Michael » February 19th, 2009, 2:56 pm

"'Safe?' said Mr. Beaver...'Who said anything about safe? 'Course he isn't safe. but he's good. He's the King, I tell you.'"

--The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe

And, of course, my siganture is also one of my favorites. But every time I read more of him I am amazed at his insights.
"A man can no more diminish God's glory by refusing to worship Him than a lunatic can put out the sun by scribbling the word, 'darkness' on the walls of his cell."
Michael
Wardrobian

Postby mgton » February 23rd, 2009, 4:49 am

I always liked this funny line below about giving baths to centipedes. I love that Lewis snuck that funny line into such a serious thought.

"...man interferes with the dog and makes it more loveable than it was in mere nature. In its state of nature it has a smell, and habits, which frustrate man’s love: he washes it, house-trains it, teaches it not to steal, and is so enabled to love it completely. To the puppy the whole proceeding would seem, if it were a theologian, to cast grave doubts on the “goodness” of man: but the full-grown and full-trained dog, larger, healthier, and longer-lived than the wild dog, and admitted, as it were by Grace, to a whole world of affections, loyalties, interests and comforts entirely beyond its animal destiny, would have no such doubts. It will be noted that the man takes all these pains with the dog, and gives all these pains to the dog, only because it is an animal high in the scale - because it is so nearly loveable that it is worth his while to make it fully loveable. He does not house-train the earwig or give baths to centipedes. We may wish, indeed, that we were of so little account to God that He left us alone to follow our natural impulses - that He would give over trying to train us into something so unlike our natural selves: but once again, we are asking not for more Love, but for less."
mgton
Wardrobian

Postby Robert » March 3rd, 2009, 5:47 pm

[I am] Freudian Viennese by night, by day [I am] Marxian Muscovite

--Robert Frost--
Robert
Wardrobian

Postby plmbob » June 7th, 2009, 8:38 am

My favorite quote is "When I have learned to love God better than my earthly dearest, I shall love my earthly dearest better than I do now." . Does anyone know the context or where it came from?
plmbob

Postby Sven » June 7th, 2009, 6:44 pm

Rat! he found breath to whisper, shaking. Are you afraid?
Afraid? murmured the Rat, his eyes shining with unutterable love.
Afraid! Of Him? O, never, never! And yet -- and yet -- O, Mole, I am afraid!
Then the two animals, crouching to the earth, bowed their heads and did worship.
Sven

Postby Bulgakov » June 8th, 2009, 1:19 pm

Jacob
"Your revolver in your hand, a prayer on your lips, your mind fixed on Maleldil. Then, if he stands, conjure him.” “What shall I say in the Great Tongue?” “Say that you come in the name of God and all angels and in the power of the planets...." (That Hideous Strength)
Bulgakov

Postby Bulgakov » June 8th, 2009, 1:21 pm

Jacob
"Your revolver in your hand, a prayer on your lips, your mind fixed on Maleldil. Then, if he stands, conjure him.” “What shall I say in the Great Tongue?” “Say that you come in the name of God and all angels and in the power of the planets...." (That Hideous Strength)
Bulgakov

Return to C. S. Lewis