This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

What did C.S. Lewis

The man. The myth.

What did C.S. Lewis

Postby PDYER » June 17th, 2009, 7:08 pm

Does anyone have a compiled list of what C.S. Lewis's personal library contained? His favorite authors?
PDYER

Re: What did C.S. Lewis

Postby nomad » June 30th, 2009, 1:18 am

I don't know of any list, but Lewis' own comments would indicate that George MacDonald would have a prominent spot. Also some Dorothy Sayer titles. And I imagine a slew of Medieval and classical literature would be included - in several languages.
member of the 2456317 club
"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best -- " and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called.
nomad
Wardrobian

Postby mgton » June 30th, 2009, 3:24 pm

The following link has a list Lewis made of the most influential books he read concerning philosophical an religious matters. http://www.scriptoriumnovum.com/l/books.html
mgton
Wardrobian

Postby nomad » July 1st, 2009, 3:20 am

Ooo, thanks for that link mgton. Very nice. And how could I have not thought of Chesterton and Charles Williams. I tried the Aeneid once, but only made it about half way through... and I expect Lewis probably read it in the original Latin. Whew!
member of the 2456317 club
"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best -- " and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called.
nomad
Wardrobian

Postby Tuke » July 1st, 2009, 5:19 pm

Good link, thanks!
"The 'great golden chain of Concord' has united the whole of Edmund Spenser's world.... Nothing is repressed; nothing is insubordinate. To read him is to grow in mental health." The Allegory Of Love (Faerie Queene)

2 Corinthians IV.17 The Weight of Glory
Tuke
Wardrobian

Postby larry gilman » July 3rd, 2009, 8:11 pm

Lewis mentions many authors in his writings (e.g., throughout Surprised by Joy). William Morris and H. Rider Haggard both got essays of their own -- apart of course from the many authors whom he wrote about professionally. But when it came to reading for love and pleasure, I get the impression that for Lewis there was often no distinction between work and play.

Yet he referred to only one author as "my master": George MacDonald. And of the writings of MacDonald, the one that clobbered Clive hardest and first was the dream-novel Phantastes. Though he also loved the dream-novel Lilith and MacDonald's explicitly religious books, the three volumes called Unspoken Sermons.
larry gilman
Wardrobian

Postby Lirenel » August 7th, 2009, 11:45 pm

The Lord is my light and my salvation, whom shall I fear? The Lord is the stronghold of my life, of whom shall I be afraid? - Psalm 27:1

Member of the 2456317 Club
Lirenel
Wardrobian

Postby postodave » August 8th, 2009, 7:46 pm

Anyone interested in Dorothy Sayers should keep an eye on BBC Radio 7. Apart from the occasional Peter Wimsey dramatization they have recently broadcast her cycle of plays on the life of Christ 'The Man Born to be King'. Lewis reckoned to read this every lent. After reading her book on the trinity (The Mind of the Maker - a remarkable book republished a few years ago with an intro by Susan Howatch) he had a go at one of the Wimsey novels (Gaudie Night which is referred to in MOM) and did not like it, but as he said he did not like detective novels. Here's a link for BBC 7 http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbc7/programmes/a-z/player no Sayers at the moment but keep checking. You also get Lewis dramatizations as well - tends to be the space trilogy - and some children's classics. God bless the BBC I say.
So I drew my sword and got ready
But the lamb ran away with the crown
postodave
Wardrobian

Return to C. S. Lewis