This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

a question about the BBC Shadowlands

The man. The myth.

a question about the BBC Shadowlands

Postby Adam Linton » June 21st, 2009, 11:44 pm

Anyone here able to help me with this?

The currently available copies of the BBC version of Shadowlands (with Joss Ackland and Claire Bloom) come in 90 minute and 73 minute versions (this last being unfortunately way too abbreviated, in my view).

The first time I saw the BBC Shadowlands (a 1985 television presentation) was in the late 80s (when my family and I lived outside Boston) on the Boston area PBS station. I'm quite sure that this version was a two full hours--containing scenes not even in the 90 minute version--but which I later immediately recognized in the American Shadowlands (Anthony Hopkins and Deborah Winger)--such as the trip to the Golden Valley and the "room service" episode from the hotel.

Has my memory been playing tricks with me all these years? (Yes, I've read the play, but not until after having seen both movies.) Or does someone here know of the original TV version being longer than either of its later video offerings? And, if so, a source for the longer version?

Thanks.
we have not loosely through silence permitted things to pass away as in a dream
Adam Linton
Wardrobian

Return to C. S. Lewis