This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

The Personality of C.S. Lewis

The man. The myth.

The Personality of C.S. Lewis

Postby Larry W. » August 20th, 2009, 2:22 pm

I found this page this morning and it has quotations of people who actually met C. S. Lewis:

Many of you have probably visited this page before, but I think it's worth visiting again.

How does this compare with your picture of him if you have known him (as I have) only through reading his books? My impression of him after reading the quotes here was that he was an unsophisticated though highly educated man who could relate very well to anyone and talk with anyone on any subject. I thought this page was really interesting because through the quotes it really shows his human side. The scholar and the gardener both found him very likable and easy to relate to. :smile:

Larry W.
Larry W.
Wardrobian

Re: The Personality of C.S. Lewis

Postby loeee » August 21st, 2009, 12:09 am

I enjoyed reading that Larry, thanks for posting it. Don't know if it implies an unrealistic view of heaven, but I look forward to finally getting to converse with Lewis in the next life. :smile:
"You can't go walking through Mordor in naught but your skin."
Put on the full armor of God.
loeee
Wardrobian

Postby Larry W. » August 21st, 2009, 8:57 am

You're very welcome, loeee.

I wonder how many people are still living today who actually met C. S. Lewis in person. I think that many years ago one of my former college professors actually met Lewis. He was a colleague of a young professor who taught a course on Lewis that I had enjoyed taking when I was college in the 1970's. :smile: As I remember, the younger professor, who is now a Lewis scholar, showed us a picture of that meeting during one of the classes of the course. As far as I know, no one visiting the Wardrobe has ever mentioned meeting Lewis in person, but if they had that experience, they would have to be quite old by now.

Larry W.
Larry W.
Wardrobian

Postby Sven » August 21st, 2009, 7:08 pm

Only person I can think of that's posted here that actually had met Lewis was Kathryn Lindskoog.
Rat! he found breath to whisper, shaking. Are you afraid?
Afraid? murmured the Rat, his eyes shining with unutterable love.
Afraid! Of Him? O, never, never! And yet -- and yet -- O, Mole, I am afraid!
Then the two animals, crouching to the earth, bowed their heads and did worship.
Sven

Postby Larry W. » August 21st, 2009, 7:38 pm

That's interesting. From what I've read she passed away a few years ago. As time goes on, there will be fewer people who knew Lewis personally, and if they would join the discussion here they might post here anonymously for privacy reasons, which certainly is understandable. I would think that persons who are connected with other famous people wouldn't find much time to post on the message forums, but you never know-- maybe they would have some interest in the discussion. :smile:

Larry W.
Larry W.
Wardrobian

Postby postodave » August 22nd, 2009, 1:31 pm

I don't know if people will have read this reminiscence As you can see at the time (4-5 years ago) Michael Moorcock was open to talking about his meetings with Lewis and Tolkien on a web forum albeit his own. He responded to a question by me once which really pleased me as it was something I'd been meaning to ask him for years.
So I drew my sword and got ready
But the lamb ran away with the crown
postodave
Wardrobian

Postby Larry W. » August 22nd, 2009, 2:53 pm

Thanks for posting the link. I guess there still are people who met Lewis and Tolkien participating in forums on the web.

If Lewis or Tolkien were alive today could one ever picture posting on a message forum on the Internet? Maybe Tolkien would dislike computers because they are machines in a modern world, a far cry from his medieval philosophy. Lewis might have thought technology would have no place in the world of Narnia, which had no radio or television. But then who knows-- on the other hand they might have seen some good in the magic. I don't think Lewis would have been like the Amish in rejecting all progress, although he might have preferred walking to riding in a car (I don't remember reading that he ever learned to drive a car). Tolkien would also have liked the old more than the new-- you can easily picture him living in a medieval castle. Pictures of the homes that Lewis and Tolkien actually lived in look like they were built many years ago. The houses are very old-fashioned and look somewhat medieval and a bit Elizabethan in style, although I don't know how old they are. They do reflect Lewis' and Tolkien's personalities.

The Kilns

Tolkien's Oxford Home

Larry W.
Last edited by Larry W. on August 22nd, 2009, 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Larry W.
Wardrobian

Postby john » August 22nd, 2009, 3:10 pm

Oddly enough, there actually are photos of C. S. Lewis, his family, places he lived, etc . ;)
john
Chief Wardrobian
john
Chief Wardrobian

Return to C. S. Lewis