This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

Anscombe's criticisms just nitpicking?

The man. The myth.

Anscombe's criticisms just nitpicking?

Postby Mornche Geddick » October 31st, 2009, 3:20 pm

I know Lewis took them seriously enough to revise his argument, but I don't see, personally, that they make much difference. Anscombe objected that physical events should be seen as "non-rational" rather than "irrational", but a chain of reasoning is broken by any link that isn't rational. If someone tells me there are aliens on Earth and they put implants in peoples' brains, it doesn't matter if he is a Scientologist or a schitzophrenic. He's wrong.

Similarly with "veridical" and "valid". Used of "argument", the two words are synonymous.

So why the big deal?
Mornche Geddick
Wardrobian

Re: Anscombe's criticisms just nitpicking?

Postby Sven » October 31st, 2009, 3:55 pm

My understanding is that the problem wasn't that Anscombe proved Lewis wrong, it's that she proved he argued poorly. So much so that Lewis, who quite properly esteemed himself as a debater, felt he had let the side down by making such a sloppy argument.
Rat! he found breath to whisper, shaking. Are you afraid?
Afraid? murmured the Rat, his eyes shining with unutterable love.
Afraid! Of Him? O, never, never! And yet -- and yet -- O, Mole, I am afraid!
Then the two animals, crouching to the earth, bowed their heads and did worship.
Sven

Postby agingjb » October 31st, 2009, 4:09 pm

I wouldn't have said that to hold any false belief is necessarily irrational. That would imply that where there is any dispute over facts, then one of the proponents is irrational (or both are).
agingjb
Wardrobian

Postby mgton » November 2nd, 2009, 6:38 pm

By the way, Victor Reppert defends an argument that is basically the same as Lewis' in The Blackwell Companion to Natural Theology. If you're interested in lewis' argument I would definitely check it out.
mgton
Wardrobian

Postby archenland_knight » November 4th, 2009, 1:42 am

These two links contain interesting perspectives on Anscombe's exchange with Lewis.

Romans 5:8 "But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us."
archenland_knight
Wardrobian

Postby larry gilman » November 4th, 2009, 7:01 pm

larry gilman
Wardrobian

Postby Mr Bultitude » November 4th, 2009, 9:43 pm

Larry I appreciate your analysis of the formal logic involved in both of these arguments. It's kind of a new interest of mine, and when I'm not on my blackberry I plan on downloading Anscombe's response and having a look.
Mr Bultitude

Postby larry gilman » November 5th, 2009, 3:53 pm

Here is a fairly complete Reader on the CSL/Anscombe imbroglio. It contains (in this order) George Sayers's account of the incident, Lewis's 1947 chapter in Miracles, Anscombe's response, and Lewis's 1960 revision of the Miracles chapter:

[link removed: see my next post, below]

Hope this is of use,

Larry
Last edited by larry gilman on November 5th, 2009, 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
larry gilman
Wardrobian

Postby Sven » November 5th, 2009, 8:40 pm

Larry, if you don't have the appropriate permissions from the Lewis estate and Sayer's agent, you're going to have to remove that link.
Rat! he found breath to whisper, shaking. Are you afraid?
Afraid? murmured the Rat, his eyes shining with unutterable love.
Afraid! Of Him? O, never, never! And yet -- and yet -- O, Mole, I am afraid!
Then the two animals, crouching to the earth, bowed their heads and did worship.
Sven

Postby larry gilman » November 5th, 2009, 8:59 pm

I have little regard for Disney-engineered copyright laws that enable immortal corporations to batten indefinitely on the writings of dead people while restricting the right of live humans to read, learn, and enjoy, but I understand that a website such as this must observe the legalities.

Thus:

Anybody who e-mails me at lnpgilman [ a t ] wildblue [ d o t ] net will receive a free, directly shared, non-publicly-available copy of the abovementioned PDF document for personal use in accordance with Title 17 of the US code, which states that "the fair use of a copyrighted work, including such use by reproduction in copies or phonorecords or by any other means specified by that section, for purposes such as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching (including multiple copies for classroom use), scholarship, or research, is not an infringement of copyright" (). I assert that my provision of the abovementioned excerpts to specific individuals who have expressed their desire to learn about the C.S.Lewis/Anscombe debate falls under the rubrics of teaching, scholarship, and research. If CSL Pte. Ltd. and the University of Minnesota want to sue me, then, that's my lookout.
larry gilman
Wardrobian

Return to C. S. Lewis