This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

Help with quote on temptation

The man. The myth.

Help with quote on temptation

Postby LEN » December 2nd, 2009, 8:45 am

Hi - I'm brand new to the Wardrobe, so please be gentle :-)

I was recently reminded of passage concerning believers from what I think was one of CSL's books which could be summarized like this: "over time, and with maturity, our temptations become those which faced Christ."

Help, anyone? Or am I mis-attributing this to Lewis?

Thanks in advance!

Lee
LEN

Re: Help with quote on temptation

Postby Paul F. Ford » December 7th, 2009, 5:27 pm

Len, this doesn't sound like anything directly attributable to Lewis. But perhaps someone else will find otherwise. Thanks for posting. I hope we don't come across as fierce.
Paul Ford—self-appointed president of the "245-3617 Club" and proud member of the "245-6317 Club"; author of the Companion to Narnia and the Pocket Companion to Narnia.
Paul F. Ford
Wardrobian

Postby LEN » December 10th, 2009, 8:19 pm

Thanks for the response, Paul! I really thought it was Lewis who wrote about this, but perhaps it wasn't.

And no, you haven't come across as fierce just yet - especially not fierce in the bad way :-)

Lee ("LEN" = my initials, which I use often online, and which often gets confused for my first name!)
LEN

Postby jo » December 13th, 2009, 9:35 pm

Hello! I am afraid that I do not recognise it either - which is not at all to say that it isn't Lewis :) - but I wanted to welcome you!
"I saw it begin,” said the Lord Digory. “I did not think I would live to see it die"

jo
Wardrobian

Postby LEN » December 20th, 2009, 6:36 pm

Thanks, Jo!

BTW, is there a way to automatically receive responses or updates to a particular thread?

[Update - 1 minute later, I figured it out!]

Thanks,
Lee
LEN

Postby archenland_knight » December 20th, 2009, 7:31 pm

The closest I could find was this, at "thinkexist.com". I believe it's from "Mere Christianity", but I could be totally wrong about that, so you might want to research that a little more yourself.

“A silly idea is current that good people do not know what temptation means. This is an obvious lie. Only those who try to resist temptation know how strong it is.... A man who gives in to temptation after five minutes simply does not know what it would have been like an hour later. That is why bad people, in one sense, know very little about badness. They have lived a sheltered life by always giving in.”
Romans 5:8 "But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us."
archenland_knight
Wardrobian

Postby LEN » December 20th, 2009, 9:55 pm

AK - yes, it's from Mere Christianity (book 3, chapter 11). I found that one also. It's a great quote (the part immediately after about Christ never yielding to temptation is really good, too), but not the one I was thinking of.

Thanks!
Lee
LEN

Return to C. S. Lewis