This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

Time and Truth

The man. The myth.

Time and Truth

Postby richard_dawkins » December 31st, 2009, 12:26 am

richard_dawkins

Re: Questions about The Screwtape Letters

Postby archenland_knight » December 31st, 2009, 5:34 pm

Romans 5:8 "But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us."
archenland_knight
Wardrobian

Postby richard_dawkins » January 3rd, 2010, 12:05 am

richard_dawkins

Postby john » January 3rd, 2010, 1:30 am

Gentlemen,

If you wish to argue about the existence of God, then you'll have to find some place else (meaning outside the Wardrobe) to do it.

archenland_knight, you should know better than to engage a troll.

richard_dawkins, if you have come here to "show those silly Christians a thing or two", then you've chosen the wrong place. I am not a Christian myself, but I do not tolerate this kind of behavior here. Find another forum.
john
Chief Wardrobian
john
Chief Wardrobian

Postby AllanS » January 3rd, 2010, 3:43 am

Hi John,

I also have grown weary of such arguments. They rarely go anywhere but downhill. Where did Jesus debate such things?

A friend of mine (a ship-wrecked alien from the planet Zorf) disbelieves in the color Red. Neither argument nor reason has the power to convey Red to him. I have concluded that unless he experiences Red directly, he can have no knowledge of it. Poor fellow.

In the same way, neither argument nor reason has the power to open a person's eyes to God. Revelation is an elemental perception. Faith is a gift. You either have it or you don't. As Pascal said, "The heart has its reasons of which reason knows nothing."
AllanS

Postby john » January 3rd, 2010, 4:22 pm

Allan,

While I appreciate that you agree with me, you really just continued the argument -- one that I said must stop.

Kind regards.
john
Chief Wardrobian
john
Chief Wardrobian

Postby archenland_knight » January 3rd, 2010, 6:43 pm

Romans 5:8 "But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us."
archenland_knight
Wardrobian

Postby AllanS » January 3rd, 2010, 9:00 pm

AllanS

Postby richard_dawkins » January 4th, 2010, 4:51 am

richard_dawkins

Postby richard_dawkins » January 4th, 2010, 5:47 am

richard_dawkins

Postby john » January 4th, 2010, 5:51 am

You register with the name of a famous atheist, and your first post is an attack on something that is over 3 years old. We have a code of conduct, and your antagonistic fight-picking approach is inappropriate. Any respectful debate needs to stay on topic within the thread and forum it's being posted in.
john
Chief Wardrobian
john
Chief Wardrobian

Postby richard_dawkins » January 4th, 2010, 6:11 am

richard_dawkins

Postby john » January 4th, 2010, 6:32 am

If I come across as aggressive, it's because I have a duty to protect the tone of these forums. We are a community based on tolerance and acceptance -- not everybody agrees with everybody else, of course, but we don't actively seek out to argue our points with one another. I have no problem with respectful discussions that are specifically about C. S. Lewis' writings, but I will not allow it to deviate too far into irrelevance.

We did have a forum that allowed most topics of religion, science and philosophy (which you've referred to, in the archives). That had to be closed because it was a breeding ground for intolerance and poor conduct. So, yes, those topics are closed.

If your main interest in being here is because you're a non-Christian who wishes to discuss and debate the doctrines and practices of Christianity, then there are many other forums that will serve you better.
john
Chief Wardrobian
john
Chief Wardrobian

Postby Adam Linton » January 4th, 2010, 6:40 am

"richard_dawkins":

In a purely unofficial capacity, but as a member here, I'll add a note of my own:

As you are evidently checking out the Wardrobe, you surely will review both "Announcements and Support" and also the archived sections (including "Religion, Science, & Philosophy"). I trust in doing so that you will find it evident that the Wardrobe, quite specifically and deliberately, is not an instrument for debate; nor--frankly--probably the most congenial place for the debate hungry. This is a site--of course, gathered around varying appreciations of C. S. Lewis--rather geared toward the informational, reflective, conversational, and social. This clarity has been rather extensively worked through here in the last year.

Regards.

Now, back to Questions about the Screwtape Letters...
we have not loosely through silence permitted things to pass away as in a dream
Adam Linton
Wardrobian

Postby richard_dawkins » January 4th, 2010, 7:57 am

Last edited by richard_dawkins on January 4th, 2010, 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
richard_dawkins

Next

Return to C. S. Lewis