This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

Time and Truth

The man. The myth.

Re: Questions about The Screwtape Letters

Postby richard_dawkins » January 4th, 2010, 10:01 am

richard_dawkins

Postby jo » January 4th, 2010, 8:12 pm

Oh well, you did recommend that he find another forum so I will consider that I have carte blanche to post this ;)

http://europeforum.12.forumer.com/index.php

We're about fifty fifty theist/non theist. No discussions out of bounds as long as people are polite.
"I saw it begin,” said the Lord Digory. “I did not think I would live to see it die"

jo
Wardrobian

Postby rusmeister » January 5th, 2010, 6:12 am

"Eh? Two views? There are a dozen views about everything until you know the answer. Then there's never more than one."
Bill "The Blizzard" Hingest - That Hideous Strength
rusmeister
Wardrobian

Postby Theophilus » January 5th, 2010, 4:27 pm

Here is another good site where you can debate Christianity:

http://www.christiandoctrinediscussion.com
Theophilus
Wardrobian

Re: Time and Truth

Postby Sven » January 5th, 2010, 9:47 pm

Split this digression and moved here. Please keep the discussion referenced to C. S. Lewis. If it degenerates to a generalized debate this thread will be locked.
Sven

Postby AllanS » January 6th, 2010, 1:25 am

AllanS

Postby cyranorox » March 4th, 2010, 12:20 am

If your topic is really epistemology, I would hope John does not clamp on the lid. Especially in a thread where I find myself in agreement with AK, except for the Platonizing idea of spirit-in-container.
Apocatastasis Now!
cyranorox
Wardrobian

Postby Nerd42 » March 10th, 2010, 4:32 pm

Nerd42
Wardrobian

Postby postodave » March 14th, 2010, 7:17 pm

It's a while since I was a regular contributor here - since John closed down the Religion, Science and Philosophy forum I've felt that this site was missing something vital. There is only so far you can go in discussing Lewis before you get into stuff that is not about Lewis for the reasons which Rus has explained above. We never had many debates with atheists on this site but the ones we had were interesting and never as far as I can remember strayed into regions where the discussion could be called offensive or abusive. The debate that got RSP closed down was between two Orthodox Christians disagreeing about Orthodoxy. I don't think there is any significance that the Christians in question were Orthodox, they could have easily been Reformed or Catholic. The point is that which such debates take place people more or less accuse each other of not being Orthodox (or Reformed or Catholic or Biblical or whatever) enough. And these are often more fierce than debates between Christian on Atheist debates. After all we Christians expect atheists to disagree with us, we even expect different types of Christians to disagree to some extent but when it is someone who in theory shares the same position as us we feel undermined, as if our solution to the world's woes might not be THE solution after all. But perhaps there is a different psychology behind this the closer the perspective the fiercer the debate thing.

Anyway it was, in my opinion and after due reflection, a huge mistake by John to close down RSP. Debate between Christians and atheists (but not inter or intra denominational debate) was a vital part of what Lewis was about and it is not really possible to discus Lewis's ideas without straying into these broader debates about the limits of reason and science, about the nature of time (is Lewis's brand of neo-platonism valid? I think not because it tries to give positive content to the concept of God being outside time rather than treating that apophatically) and so on. I would like to join in such a discussion but not if it is in danger of being shut down at any moment because someone steps over a line visible only to John and Sven.
So I drew my sword and got ready
But the lamb ran away with the crown
postodave
Wardrobian

Postby wondawomen » March 14th, 2010, 10:47 pm

Cool!
We love, because He first loved us.1John4:19 NASB
wondawomen
Wardrobian

Postby Nerd42 » March 15th, 2010, 3:17 pm

Nerd42
Wardrobian

Postby john » March 15th, 2010, 4:29 pm

john
Chief Wardrobian
john
Chief Wardrobian

Postby postodave » March 15th, 2010, 7:37 pm

Thanks for the reply John. I won't dwell on this because it will take us off topic. Briefly - it's hard to police a tone and it's hard to say at what point someone becomes abusive. I mean it really is hard even face to face; an outsider listens to a couple who have been together for years and he can see abuse that the people in the relationship cannot. Lewis did sometimes get carried away in debate and he felt it was fine to tell an opponent not to talk damned nonsense, which is pretty strong language. For myself I think the frustrating moment comes when something is clear to me and the person I'm debating with seems not to see it and then I want to push back further into the assumptions behind what my opponent is saying and at some point that triggers a response from the other person that implies they feel abused. I never feel I am being abusive just as the other person never feels they are. I thought the debate that lead to the closing of RSP had got a bit silly but I didn't find anything offensive about it. So it's difficult for me to come up with solutions because I never really saw there being a problem. If I felt someone was insulting me I'd probably back out of that discussion but I wouldn't get offended and I don't see why anyone reading the debate would get offended on my behalf.
postodave
Wardrobian

Postby postodave » March 15th, 2010, 7:58 pm

postodave
Wardrobian

Postby john » March 15th, 2010, 8:58 pm