This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

Seven Sevens of Narnia

Please don't close the door behind you.

Seven Sevens of Narnia

Postby Sheroo of Stormness Head » 05 May 2010, 02:51

Hi Everyone,
I've heard that there are seven sevens in Narnia. I can pick out a few, like the Seven Friends of Narnia, Seven Isles, Seven Lords, and the Seven Books, but can you all help me figure out the others? And are these really the main sevens? If we find more than seven sevens, that's great too, because in my estimation, the more sevens, the better!
Thanks,
Sheroo of Stormness Head
User avatar
Sheroo of Stormness Head
 
Posts: 11
Joined: Feb 2010

Re: Seven Sevens of Narnia

Postby Nerd42 » 06 May 2010, 21:14

These of course reference the seven churches in Asia, seven candlesticks and seven stars from the Revelation of John.

I'm reminded of the five words, five letters and the roman numeral for five in the title of, "RiVen; the Sequel to Myst" which original came on five discs. Yes, I'm a video game freak, that doesn't mean I don't like to read. :)
Nerd42
Wardrobian
 
Posts: 160
Joined: Jul 2009

Re: Seven Sevens of Narnia

Postby Sheroo of Stormness Head » 07 May 2010, 00:15

Isn't it neat that C.S. Lewis uses the number that is the perfect number in the Bible (along with 3)? I find that so fascinating. I definitely think that C.S. Lewis picked some of these things (Seven Friends of Narnia, etc) to be seven in number because it is a number of perfection in the Bible. Also, C.S. Lewis was a medievalist, and seven was a very important number in the medieval times, again, I think, because of the importance of it in the Bible. I was wondering though, what did you mean by that those sevens that I mentioned represent the sevens that you mentioned. Are you saying that Lewis was trying to picture the Seven Churches of Asia when he wrote about the Seven Friends of Narnia?
User avatar
Sheroo of Stormness Head
 
Posts: 11
Joined: Feb 2010

Re: Seven Sevens of Narnia

Postby Nerd42 » 07 May 2010, 05:19

Sheroo of Stormness Head wrote:Isn't it neat that C.S. Lewis uses the number that is the perfect number in the Bible (along with 3)? I find that so fascinating. I definitely think that C.S. Lewis picked some of these things (Seven Friends of Narnia, etc) to be seven in number because it is a number of perfection in the Bible. Also, C.S. Lewis was a medievalist, and seven was a very important number in the medieval times, again, I think, because of the importance of it in the Bible. I was wondering though, what did you mean by that those sevens that I mentioned represent the sevens that you mentioned. Are you saying that Lewis was trying to picture the Seven Churches of Asia when he wrote about the Seven Friends of Narnia?
I wouldn't try to argue otherwise. As to whether he's matching individuals with individual churches, it may not go that deep, but conceptually making the church be seven is a Biblical idea. Remember, Narnia is like "ancient myth casserole." There's something of just about everything in it. If you try to take this seven thing too seriously, everything's supposed to come in sevens and twelves, how then do you work in the fact that there are four children? Lewis was careless and careful at the same time in Narnia in a strangely fascinating way.

Can't wait for the Voyage of the Dawn Treader movie. That book is perfect for making a movie out of I think. :)
Nerd42
Wardrobian
 
Posts: 160
Joined: Jul 2009

Seven and Seventy

Postby Reep » 07 May 2010, 14:59

Lucy Barfield died seven years ago in 2003. And her godfather Jack Lewis died in 1963 - seven years after the last one of his seven Chronicles - The Last Battle - appeared in 1956.

Just a play with coincidences? Much more significant might be the fact that the names of both of them appeared together in the first book - The Lion and the Witch - in 1950. Which means that we are now about to begin our celebrations of "Narnia - Sixty Years!". (Wish it were Seven-ty ) :wink:
Further up and further in! -- The Last Battle
User avatar
Reep
Wardrobian
 
Posts: 83
Joined: May 2006
Location: Lithuania & USA

Re: Seven Sevens of Narnia

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » 09 May 2010, 13:31

Did the Seven Churches of Asia even exist back in Lewis' time? Yes, the number seven is used as a symbol of holiness and completeness but I think one can analyse something too much. But I can't talk. I pick apart the details of LOST.
Image

Member of The 2456317 Club
User avatar
Warrior 4 Jesus
Wardrobian
 
Posts: 532
Joined: Mar 2005
Location: Australia

Re: Seven Sevens of Narnia

Postby Nerd42 » 09 May 2010, 20:22

Warrior 4 Jesus wrote:Did the Seven Churches of Asia even exist back in Lewis' time? Yes, the number seven is used as a symbol of holiness and completeness but I think one can analyse something too much. But I can't talk. I pick apart the details of LOST.
Yeah but I think there can't be much doubt that the number seven in Narnia is an allusion to the Revelation of John in general.
Nerd42
Wardrobian
 
Posts: 160
Joined: Jul 2009

Re: Seven Sevens of Narnia

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » 10 May 2010, 00:47

Oops, yes, of course the Seven Churches of Asia were known of in Lewis' time. Thanks for your correction. I don't know how strongly they apply to Narnia but there's no harm done believing such things.
Image

Member of The 2456317 Club
User avatar
Warrior 4 Jesus
Wardrobian
 
Posts: 532
Joined: Mar 2005
Location: Australia

Re: Seven Sevens of Narnia

Postby Sheroo of Stormness Head » 12 May 2010, 17:32

Nerd42 wrote:Yeah but I think there can't be much doubt that the number seven in Narnia is an allusion to the Revelation of John in general.
I'm sorry. I can't say I really agree that C.S. Lewis was alluding to Revelation in general when he used sevens, but very interesting idea. I have a question though, why Revelation? Why not Genesis (the 7 days of creation, the 7 years of famine in Egypt and the 7 years of plenty, etc)? Again, while maybe in some areas alluding to specific sevens, I think C.S. Lewis was simply using the number. I hope you don't think I'm upset with you. While I disagree, I'm not upset.
BTW, I thought of another seven in Narnia: the Seven Brothers of Shuttering Wood in PC.
Nerd42 wrote: Can't wait for the Voyage of the Dawn Treader movie. That book is perfect for making a movie out of I think. :)
I know. Me too. I'm really looking forward to it.
User avatar
Sheroo of Stormness Head
 
Posts: 11
Joined: Feb 2010

Re: Seven Sevens of Narnia

Postby Nerd42 » 14 May 2010, 17:57

Sheroo of Stormness Head wrote:
Nerd42 wrote:Yeah but I think there can't be much doubt that the number seven in Narnia is an allusion to the Revelation of John in general.
I'm sorry. I can't say I really agree that C.S. Lewis was alluding to Revelation in general when he used sevens, but very interesting idea. I have a question though, why Revelation? Why not Genesis (the 7 days of creation, the 7 years of famine in Egypt and the 7 years of plenty, etc)? Again, while maybe in some areas alluding to specific sevens, I think C.S. Lewis was simply using the number. I hope you don't think I'm upset with you. While I disagree, I'm not upset.
BTW, I thought of another seven in Narnia: the Seven Brothers of Shuttering Wood in PC.
Nerd42 wrote: Can't wait for the Voyage of the Dawn Treader movie. That book is perfect for making a movie out of I think. :)
I know. Me too. I'm really looking forward to it.
Well, the seven islands and the seven churches in Asia both refer to places, but yeah you're probably right that it's just the Bible in general not necessarily just Revelations.
Nerd42
Wardrobian
 
Posts: 160
Joined: Jul 2009


Return to The Chronicles of Narnia

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered members and 2 guests