This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

Seven Sevens of Narnia

Please don't close the door behind you.

Seven Sevens of Narnia

Postby Sheroo of Stormness Head » May 5th, 2010, 2:51 am

Hi Everyone,
I've heard that there are seven sevens in Narnia. I can pick out a few, like the Seven Friends of Narnia, Seven Isles, Seven Lords, and the Seven Books, but can you all help me figure out the others? And are these really the main sevens? If we find more than seven sevens, that's great too, because in my estimation, the more sevens, the better!
Thanks,
Sheroo of Stormness Head
Sheroo of Stormness Head

Re: Seven Sevens of Narnia

Postby Nerd42 » May 6th, 2010, 9:14 pm

These of course reference the seven churches in Asia, seven candlesticks and seven stars from the Revelation of John.

I'm reminded of the five words, five letters and the roman numeral for five in the title of, "RiVen; the Sequel to Myst" which original came on five discs. Yes, I'm a video game freak, that doesn't mean I don't like to read. :)
Nerd42
Wardrobian

Postby Sheroo of Stormness Head » May 7th, 2010, 12:15 am

Isn't it neat that C.S. Lewis uses the number that is the perfect number in the Bible (along with 3)? I find that so fascinating. I definitely think that C.S. Lewis picked some of these things (Seven Friends of Narnia, etc) to be seven in number because it is a number of perfection in the Bible. Also, C.S. Lewis was a medievalist, and seven was a very important number in the medieval times, again, I think, because of the importance of it in the Bible. I was wondering though, what did you mean by that those sevens that I mentioned represent the sevens that you mentioned. Are you saying that Lewis was trying to picture the Seven Churches of Asia when he wrote about the Seven Friends of Narnia?
Sheroo of Stormness Head

Postby Nerd42 » May 7th, 2010, 5:19 am

Nerd42
Wardrobian

Seven and Seventy

Postby Reep » May 7th, 2010, 2:59 pm

Lucy Barfield died seven years ago in 2003. And her godfather Jack Lewis died in 1963 - seven years after the last one of his seven Chronicles - The Last Battle - appeared in 1956.

Just a play with coincidences? Much more significant might be the fact that the names of both of them appeared together in the first book - The Lion and the Witch - in 1950. Which means that we are now about to begin our celebrations of "Narnia - Sixty Years!". (Wish it were Seven-ty ) :wink:
Further up and further in! -- The Last Battle
Reep
Wardrobian

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » May 9th, 2010, 1:31 pm

Did the Seven Churches of Asia even exist back in Lewis' time? Yes, the number seven is used as a symbol of holiness and completeness but I think one can analyse something too much. But I can't talk. I pick apart the details of LOST.

Member of The 2456317 Club
Warrior 4 Jesus
Wardrobian

Postby Nerd42 » May 9th, 2010, 8:22 pm

Nerd42
Wardrobian

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » May 10th, 2010, 12:47 am

Oops, yes, of course the Seven Churches of Asia were known of in Lewis' time. Thanks for your correction. I don't know how strongly they apply to Narnia but there's no harm done believing such things.

Member of The 2456317 Club
Warrior 4 Jesus
Wardrobian

Postby Sheroo of Stormness Head » May 12th, 2010, 5:32 pm

Sheroo of Stormness Head

Postby Nerd42 » May 14th, 2010, 5:57 pm

Nerd42
Wardrobian

Return to The Chronicles of Narnia