This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

VDT Trailer

Please don't close the door behind you.

Re: VDT Trailer

Postby cyranorox » July 9th, 2010, 6:21 pm

A bit OT, but I have crossed the equator and I have seen the Albatross. It's very like a stretched-out and rather ugly seagull in appearance. I've seen chicks on the nest and adults both on the ground and in the sky.

Truly, the contrast between the airborne grace and the landbound clumsyness [hence 'gooneybird'] is remarkable.
Apocatastasis Now!
cyranorox
Wardrobian

Postby carol » July 10th, 2010, 11:38 am

That's a very sad place for a tower- overlooking the final resting place of so many people. Quite Gondorian looking I think.
carol
Wardrobian

Postby Lucys_Wardrobe » July 12th, 2010, 2:55 am

I absouletely love the trailer!!! Even though I love all of the Narnia books I would have to say VDT is my favorite followed by LWW. I say this because I love the character of Lucy and she is the Pevensie who doesn't lose faith in Aslan, the magic of Narnia or talking-beasts at the beginning of Prince Caspian. I also enjoy how she is the first one to journey into the wardrobe and end up in Narnia.
Lucys_Wardrobe

Postby Micah » July 22nd, 2010, 5:21 am

I liked the trailer a lot--especially the view of the lilies on the sea. Not sure yet what to think about Edmund still having to deal with visions of Jadis. Is that idea possibly being stretched a little too far?

By the way, I have no proof of this, of course, but I've often wondered if J.K. Rowling borrowed a bit from the whole Eustace-as-spoiled-cousin-with-weird-parents idea when creating Harry Potter's cousin, aunt, uncle. The trailer's scenes of Edmund, Lucy and Eustace being drawn into the painting reminded me of that again. What do you think?

Really looking forward to enjoying VDT over the Christmas holiday! Some of my favorite Decembers in recent years (i.e. in the last decade) have been ones when either a Tolkien or Lewis movie was opening in theaters. Hopefully there'll be more of that to look forward to with the Silver Chair and the two Hobbit films.

Oh...and that tower, Stanley...actually, it kind of makes me think of the tower in the Last Battle that Jill, Eustace and Rilian visit. Although maybe I need to reread TLB to be sure...
"He has shown you, O man, what is good; and what does the Lord require of you but to do justly, to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God?" ~ Micah 6:8 (NKJV)
Micah
Wardrobian

Postby Larry W. » July 22nd, 2010, 10:26 am

Some people have told me that 3-D movies cause eyestrain. Avatar didn't seem to bother me when too much when I watched it. But it was a bit of a nuisance wearing the 3-D glasses over my bifocals. :smile:

Larry W.
Larry W.
Wardrobian

Postby Dan65802 » July 22nd, 2010, 12:48 pm

"Returning hate for hate multiplies hate, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that." - Martin Luther King
Dan65802
Wardrobian

Postby Larry W. » July 23rd, 2010, 12:16 am

Some people didn't like Avatar because they thought the story was too familiar. A veteran soldier goes to live with the natives, learns their their culture and decides to join them instead of fighting against them. It's been done before, but I still thought the movie was enjoyable. But Avatar has certain flaws which might keep it from being an epic film. The special effects are beautiful. but I'm not sure if they make the story more believable. It seems like the focus was on the movie's technology more than on story and character development, which remains in the background. I hope Dawn Treader doesn't do the same thing-- even though I would enjoy its 3-D technology.

Larry W.
Larry W.
Wardrobian

Postby Dan65802 » July 23rd, 2010, 12:56 pm

I don't think every movie has to be original. Yes, Avatar's story had been told many times in the past, but classic story elements are classic for a reason and deserve a fresh, quality retelling on occasion. Although I enjoyed Avatar more than I thought I would (especially the first half), what annoyed me was the heavy handedness in the 2nd half of the film.

My problem with 3-D technology is that it often takes away from the storytelling. I think it's a fad that will hopefully peter out sooner rather than later. Initial reports were that 3-D was a late addition to the VDT film, and therefore wasn't filmed with 3-D in mind. I hope to find a 2-D theater to see the movie in.

- Dan -
"Returning hate for hate multiplies hate, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that." - Martin Luther King
Dan65802
Wardrobian

Postby Larry W. » August 8th, 2010, 1:18 am

I thought the second trailer is better than the first one because it puts more emphasis on Aslan and salvation of his people. Aslan's voice is heard at the beginning and he appears throughout the trailer. From the brief sample you get the impression that the movie will be much more like the book than Prince Caspian, and it may even be better in adapting the story than than the first film of LWW. This really makes me want to see the film. :smile:

Larry W.
Larry W.
Wardrobian

Postby nomad » September 6th, 2010, 12:52 am

Very well said, Dan. Originality is an over-valued attribute, IMO. Things that have been done before can still be done well, and original can still be bad. I didn't see avatar, but at least it was conceived for 3D. They shouldn't be trying to make films written and conceptualized for 2D into 3D films. What I find amazing is that professional producers don't get that.
member of the 2456317 club
"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best -- " and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called.
nomad
Wardrobian

Postby paminala » September 6th, 2010, 4:24 pm

All truths are easy to understand once they are discovered; the point is to discover them.
~ Galileo Galilei
paminala
Wardrobian

Postby nomad » September 8th, 2010, 12:08 am

I guess. I hadn't thought of that. And as long as it's available in both, you have your choice. Not sure how much making VDT 3D will increase ticket sales... I dont't think anyone will go see it just for that. However, I suppose it gives an advantage to those theaters that installed the equipment, so it rewards them. In the meantime, I hope they are thinking up good 3D movies and not just relying on post-production 3D-ifying everything with a bit of action. Otherwise, they'll find the 3D revival going the same way as the musical revival that Moulin Rouge kicked off.
member of the 2456317 club
"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best -- " and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called.
nomad
Wardrobian

Previous

Return to The Chronicles of Narnia