This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

Good Calormenes

Please don't close the door behind you.

Re: Good Calormenes

Postby Larry W. » July 26th, 2004, 11:27 pm

Larry W.
Wardrobian

Postby Alan » July 27th, 2004, 10:57 am

This product does not require batteries
Alan
Wardrobian

Postby Guest » July 27th, 2004, 2:43 pm

Hey Alan, thanks for the support! Although, I don't consider Emeth saved by works - I think it's meant to be exactly like Abraham, believing God and having that credited to him as righteousness, without knowing the name of Christ. Of course, Emeth doesn't know the name of Yahweh either!

Here's a quote:
Mere Christianity:
"The world does not consist of 100 per cent Christians and 100 per cent non-Christians. There are people (a great many of them) who are slowly ceasing to be Christians [...] There are people in other religions being led by God's secret influence to concentrate on those parts of their religion which are in agreement with Christianity, and who thus belong to Christ without knowing it" (Nice People or New Men, p. 162).

Lewis' theology always works very logically, based strongly on free will, good intent, etc., in short, it often strikes me as more human than traditional theology, although less Biblically accurate. For example, from the above quote, to him, we run a race, but instead of runnning for our crowns and rewards, we are running for our very lives. And these lives are precariously balanced at all times.

It makes more sense to our works-oriented natures, but doesn't seem to match Scripture. Lewis rarely, if ever, quotes the Bible [believing it to be errant - containing the Word, but not actually the Word in its entirety] leading me to think that his reflections come primarily from philosophical musings, producing "logical" conclusions about the way God must work and be.

We might as well address the rest of the quote. Lewis seems to think that salvation comes from a particular alignment to God and degree of inner obedience. I say "degree" thinking of the Screwtape Letters, where repentant tears at the end of the patient's life guaranteed his salvation but an earlier acceptance of Jesus did not. It seems, however, that the presence of the Holy Spirit would be the decisive factor. Lewis does salvific grace by degrees, wrongly confusing the process of santification with justification. Once filled with the Holy Spirit, one is saved for eternity. However, it will take a lifetime and then some to make one like Christ, which is (one of) the end(s) of our salvation, but not the means.

Previous

Return to The Chronicles of Narnia