This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

I WAS WONDERING AFTER WATCHING 'THE SILVER CHAIR'

Please don't close the door behind you.

I WAS WONDERING AFTER WATCHING 'THE SILVER CHAIR'

Postby Narniafan2004 » February 9th, 2005, 4:34 pm

Narniafan2004
Wardrobian

Re: I WAS WONDERING AFTER WATCHING 'THE SILVER CHAIR'

Postby Leslie » February 9th, 2005, 5:02 pm

"What are you laughing at?"
"At myself. My little puny self," said Phillipa.
--Rumer Godden, In This House of Brede
Leslie
Wardrobian

Postby Narniafan2004 » February 9th, 2005, 5:27 pm

Narniafan2004
Wardrobian

Postby Guest » February 11th, 2005, 10:46 pm

Yes, I guess that's it. And I've always seen a very close paralell to Christ in that scene, with the thorn and the blood and all that. He has paid for our sins by his blood! :)

Postby Larry W. » February 12th, 2005, 8:44 pm

I remember from a college course on C. S. Lewis that I took many years ago that these "parallels" in the Chronicles of Narnia should be considered as references to or reminders of events in the Bible. The professor said that we should not make direct parallel connections to the Bible because its stories are separate works of literature. So Eustace's driving the thorn into the lion's paw reminds us of Christ's crucifixion but it isn't an exact parallel since The Silver Chair is a different story than the account of Jesus death in the Bible. Aslan's death on the Stone Table in The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe is also a powerful reminder of Christ's death on the cross but is not actually a direct parallel. The place, the setting, and the characters are different, except for Aslan, who is what Christ would be in the world of Narnia. They are are different stories, although they have many similarities. Lewis dicovered some concepts in pagan mythology, and since they had much in common with Christianity he used them appropriately in the books, e.g. the idea of a dying god was very close to the Christian view. However, many Christian ideas run throughout the Narnia series, so the references, including those to the Bible, help us in interpreting the Narnia series.

Larry W.
Larry W.
Wardrobian

Postby carol » February 13th, 2005, 12:55 am

carol
Wardrobian

Return to The Chronicles of Narnia