This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

The 2456317 Club

Please don't close the door behind you.

Postby Pete » 14 Jan 2007, 23:19

Ahh...those poor ignorant people (Ticket2theMoon was referring to) is there any hope for them? *sigh* :rolleyes:
Member of The 2456317 Club

Pete
Wardrobian

Postby Ticket2theMoon » 15 Jan 2007, 04:10

By the way, please excuse my atrocious spelling of "Chronological". It was 2 am, afterall.
===========================================================================================

It is with words as with sunbeams, the more they are condensed, the deeper they burn. --Robert Southey (1774-1843)

Ticket2theMoon
Wardrobian

Postby Ticket2theMoon » 15 Jan 2007, 04:21

Pardon the double post, but I've just been back to the same thread to see how the education was coming along and I would like to say that people are STUPID!!!!!!!!!

I'm sorry. I feel better now. I won't do that again.
===========================================================================================

It is with words as with sunbeams, the more they are condensed, the deeper they burn. --Robert Southey (1774-1843)

Ticket2theMoon
Wardrobian

Postby stshores24 » 14 Feb 2007, 20:56

Hi, first time here, though I've been lurking a few weeks. I heard '8675309' in the grocery store the other day and just had to smile, for it reminded me of this post. :)
stshores24
Wardrobian

Postby Sven » 14 Feb 2007, 21:38

Welcome, stshores24!
Rat! he found breath to whisper, shaking. Are you afraid?
Afraid? murmured the Rat, his eyes shining with unutterable love.
Afraid! Of Him? O, never, never! And yet -- and yet -- O, Mole, I am afraid!
Then the two animals, crouching to the earth, bowed their heads and did worship.
Sven
Wardrobian

Postby stshores24 » 14 Feb 2007, 21:39

Sven wrote:Welcome, stshores24!

Thanks!
stshores24
Wardrobian

Postby mr matt » 19 Apr 2007, 20:33

Count me in! :read:
mr matt

Postby A#minor » 20 Apr 2007, 14:11

Hooray! Another recruit! Welcome to the club, mr. matt! :toothy-grin:
"My brain and this world don't fit each other, and there's an end of it!" - G.K. Chesterton
A#minor
Wardrobian

Postby moordarjeeling » 20 Apr 2007, 19:06

Narnian Musician wrote: publication order is definately best for new readers. Otherwise you don't have the same sense of wonder as lucy at finding this place. And seeing the lampost isn't as magical.

And there's the wonderful open-mindedness of the Professor when he says there COULD be other worlds round the corner! If he's already been to Narnia, he knows where the wardrobe wood came from, and is just being cagy for some reason. It's much better imo to see a grown-up who doesn't have prior knowlege, being open-minded just from reading Plato!
moordarjeeling
Wardrobian

Postby Narnian Musician » 22 Apr 2007, 03:29

moordarjeeling wrote: It's much better imo to see a grown-up who doesn't have prior knowlege, being open-minded just from reading Plato!

I hadn't thought of it that way before. Great observation!
I will occasionally see or hear something that reminds me of this thread. Sorry I haven't been around in awhile.
thanks to A#minor for the graphics!
Narnian Musician
Wardrobian

Postby A#minor » 23 Apr 2007, 01:41

Great to see you out and about, Narnian Musician! :toothy-grin:
"My brain and this world don't fit each other, and there's an end of it!" - G.K. Chesterton
A#minor
Wardrobian

Postby Guest » 26 Apr 2007, 14:21

In the class I taught on Lewis & Tolkien, I encouraged students to read the Chronicles in the original published order for the following reasons:

1. I believe the events in The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe establish the importance of the main Character and it sets the tone and is the most natural introduction of both Narnia and Aslan

2. The Magician’s Nephew is much more exciting and interesting as a flashback story. If you’ve already read LWW you already care about Narnia and are deeply interested in its background and creation

3. Prince Caspian is a better follow-up to LWW than Horse and His Boy because PC basically picks up at the end of LWW, where as HHB takes place in the middle of the last chapter of LWW.

4. If you believe that Lewis was inspired by God to write the Chronicles (and I do), then it's probably best to leave them in the order in which they were given to Lewis.

- Dan -

Postby glumPuddle » 01 May 2007, 17:47

I agree 100% with your first three points, Dan. Not sure about the third one. After all, HHB was actually written before SC, even though SC was published first. And if we really want to read them in the order Lewis wrote them, we'd have to read the LeFay Fragment first, haha.

IMO, the people who are in favor of publication order should have a club called 1234567. And the people in favor of chronalogical should have a club called 6152347. Only fair! haha

Here is an interesting question: should they change the order BACK? Or would that cause even more confusion?

I definitly think changing the order in the first place was a mistake. But maybe the damage has already been done, and it's too late to fix it even if they wanted to.
Image <---Click
Chronological Order: 1950, 1951, 1952, 1953, 1954, 1955, 1956
glumPuddle
Wardrobian

Postby A#minor » 01 May 2007, 22:22

glumPuddle wrote:Here is an interesting question: should they change the order BACK? Or would that cause even more confusion?

I don't think it would cause confusion. People are already confused! :rolleyes:
And yes, yes, yes, they need to change it back to publication order! Let's hope and pray... *fingers crossed*
A#minor
Wardrobian

Postby glumPuddle » 02 May 2007, 03:34

A#minor wrote:I don't think it would cause confusion. People are already confused! :rolleyes:
And yes, yes, yes, they need to change it back to publication order! Let's hope and pray... *fingers crossed*

Gresham played a part in changing it. :(

Well, if they changed the order back to the right way, I would definitley buy that set! And, I think lots of fans who already own copies would too. What we need to do is convince HarperCollins to change the order back by showing them that lots of fans would buy it. Hmm...maybe I should start a petition.
Image <---Click
Chronological Order: 1950, 1951, 1952, 1953, 1954, 1955, 1956
glumPuddle
Wardrobian

PreviousNext

Return to The Chronicles of Narnia