This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

I can't stop buying CoN

Please don't close the door behind you.

I can't stop buying CoN

Postby A#minor » May 20th, 2005, 4:26 pm

"My brain and this world don't fit each other, and there's an end of it!" - G.K. Chesterton
A#minor
Wardrobian

Re: I can't stop buying CoN

Postby pjb0015 » May 20th, 2005, 6:20 pm

I own one and a half sets of the old paperbacks (in the correct order) and a boxed set in German
a member of the 2456317 club

sitting up till the small hours in someone's college rooms talking nonsense, poetry, theology, metaphysics over beer, tea, and pipes
pjb0015
Wardrobian

Postby john » May 20th, 2005, 7:08 pm

I have 3 editions myself: The full-color edition with the original cover art, the "all-in-one" book with the full-color illustrations, and one from the 70's in the original publishing order.

Additionally, I have several books based on or about Narnia (including the Narnian Cookbook that's out of print now) and two dramatized audio editions (BBC and Focus on the Family).

I won't be getting any other editions. I can't imagine any other they can offer that would even interest me.

What I'm worried about are the toys and trinkets they'll be selling soon. If they offer Narnia-themed LEGO sets, I'm there.
john
Chief Wardrobian
john
Chief Wardrobian

Postby Sven » May 20th, 2005, 7:51 pm

Rat! he found breath to whisper, shaking. Are you afraid?
Afraid? murmured the Rat, his eyes shining with unutterable love.
Afraid! Of Him? O, never, never! And yet -- and yet -- O, Mole, I am afraid!
Then the two animals, crouching to the earth, bowed their heads and did worship.
Sven

Postby magpie » May 20th, 2005, 8:12 pm

"Love is the will to extend one's self in order to nurture one's own or another's spiritual growth."
M. Scott Peck

Member of the Religious Tolerance Cabal of the Wardrobe
magpie
Wardrobian

Postby Stanley Anderson » May 20th, 2005, 8:15 pm

…on a night of rain Frodo smelled a sweet fragrance on the air and heard the sound of singing that came over the water. And then it seemed to him that as in his dream in the house of Bombadil, the grey rain-curtain turned all to silver glass and was rolled back, and he beheld white shores and beyond them a fair green country under a swift sunrise.
Stanley Anderson
Wardrobian

Postby A#minor » May 21st, 2005, 5:55 pm

"My brain and this world don't fit each other, and there's an end of it!" - G.K. Chesterton
A#minor
Wardrobian

Postby throvin » May 23rd, 2005, 3:11 am

I actually just began my collection today. I was in a used bookstore and found several of the old paperback ones. However, being a poor college student I could only afford to dig out 1.75 and buy Prince Caspian.
Guess my collection will start slowly.

Oh yeah, then today my mother says "I found this at a yard sale for a dollar and thought you might want it" and hands me the space trilogy, which I have never read but have been wanting to, combined into one book. I'm excited.

Tim.
throvin

Postby Guest » May 23rd, 2005, 5:05 am

Postby A#minor » July 28th, 2007, 11:51 pm

I just bought another copy of Horse and His Boy. I'm so addicted to this. I bought the 1970 Collier editions a few weeks ago. They're a little beat up, but at least they are correctly numbered! However I'm missing 1, 4, and 7 from those editions. Phooey. I'm on the look-out for them.
I also bought another Magician's Nephew a few months ago in the Chris Van Allsburg illustrated edition.
:read:
A#minor
Wardrobian

Postby Guest » August 1st, 2007, 6:29 pm

Borders bookstores often have a special week where you can buy a book and put it into a big bin and they then give the books to needy kids. I usually buy all the copies the have of The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe and throw them into the bin. I figure:

1. It helps kids
2. It introduces them to a Christ-figure
3. It makes them read LWW first in the series.

- Dan -

Postby A#minor » November 6th, 2007, 1:50 am

I found The Magician's Nephew in the correctly numbered 1970 edition.
Had to buy it, of course. I forget which ones I'm missing from that set.
A#minor
Wardrobian

Postby Adam Linton » November 6th, 2007, 2:10 am

I'm on my fourth copy/copies--each--for both TCoN and TLotR.

I don't collect them, but they do wear out. Now, my last TLotR was the deluxe 50th Anniversary Edition, so I expect it to last longer (my first couple of sets were paperbacks). I call this my "pulpit" LotR.

I've still got a couple of my first CoN, hardbound, from the sixties. I've heard something of a special, very high quality Narnia edition coming out before too long; I'll be looking for it.

I've worn through/given away enough copies of many of the major Lewis titles that I've lost count.
we have not loosely through silence permitted things to pass away as in a dream
Adam Linton
Wardrobian

Postby A#minor » November 7th, 2007, 2:18 am

Forgot to post that I also just bought another copy of Mere Christianity, so that makes three that I own. I think I might give one away to a friend of a friend who I know likes to read Christian apologetics.
A#minor
Wardrobian

Postby Adam Linton » November 7th, 2007, 4:32 am

we have not loosely through silence permitted things to pass away as in a dream
Adam Linton
Wardrobian

Next

Return to The Chronicles of Narnia