This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

Faun's and Centaur's ears

Please don't close the door behind you.

Faun's and Centaur's ears

Postby Lady Rebecca » October 25th, 2005, 10:57 pm

I noticed, in the trailer, that both the fauns and centaurs have weird, animal-like ears that stick straight out from their heads. I find this strange, as one usually thinks of these creatures as half goat or horse, and the other half just like a man. Looking at the original illustrations in the books, the fauns have pointy, elf-like ears, but they are flat up against the head, not sticking out.

Anyone else bothered by this movie change? :)
"Well, you know how it feels if you begin hoping for something that you want desperately badly; you almost fight against the hope because it is too good to be true; you've been disappointed so often before. But it was no good trying to throttle this hope. It might - really, really, it just might be true. So many odd things had happened already." - from the magician's nephew

Member 2456317 Club
Lady Rebecca
Wardrobian

re: Faun's and Centaur's ears

Postby A#minor » October 26th, 2005, 12:42 am

Doesn't bother me. I think they're cute.

Maybe they're going by ancient descriptions of fauns and not so much Lewis' description?
"My brain and this world don't fit each other, and there's an end of it!" - G.K. Chesterton
A#minor
Wardrobian

Postby carol » October 26th, 2005, 7:53 am

carol
Wardrobian

Postby Leslie » October 26th, 2005, 1:28 pm

"What are you laughing at?"
"At myself. My little puny self," said Phillipa.
--Rumer Godden, In This House of Brede
Leslie
Wardrobian

Postby Lady Rebecca » October 27th, 2005, 1:42 am

All of you have good points. I guess I'm just surprised to see something different, after looking at the old pictures so long. :)
"Well, you know how it feels if you begin hoping for something that you want desperately badly; you almost fight against the hope because it is too good to be true; you've been disappointed so often before. But it was no good trying to throttle this hope. It might - really, really, it just might be true. So many odd things had happened already." - from the magician's nephew

Member 2456317 Club
Lady Rebecca
Wardrobian

Postby A#minor » October 27th, 2005, 4:09 am

"My brain and this world don't fit each other, and there's an end of it!" - G.K. Chesterton
A#minor
Wardrobian

Re: re: Faun's and Centaur's ears

Postby magpie » October 27th, 2005, 4:32 pm

"Love is the will to extend one's self in order to nurture one's own or another's spiritual growth."
M. Scott Peck

Member of the Religious Tolerance Cabal of the Wardrobe
magpie
Wardrobian

Postby Stanley Anderson » October 27th, 2005, 4:52 pm

…on a night of rain Frodo smelled a sweet fragrance on the air and heard the sound of singing that came over the water. And then it seemed to him that as in his dream in the house of Bombadil, the grey rain-curtain turned all to silver glass and was rolled back, and he beheld white shores and beyond them a fair green country under a swift sunrise.
Stanley Anderson
Wardrobian

Postby A#minor » October 27th, 2005, 4:54 pm

Perhaps we tend to think of them as people with goat legs (or horse legs), and we forget that they really are not human at all. Their minds work differently; their bodies function differently; they age at a different rate than people, etc... So the ears and horns are just another way to show the differences, and are a visual way to remind us that although their faces may look like ours, they are other-worldy and mystical and not to be taken lightly.
A#minor
Wardrobian

Postby Lady Rebecca » October 27th, 2005, 5:38 pm

Member 2456317 Club
Lady Rebecca
Wardrobian

Postby kaleidoscopeyes » November 26th, 2005, 11:20 pm

The description Lewis wrote included a long tail, glossy black hair on the legs, curly hair and horns and reddish coloured skin. Tumnus was also described as being very small--only a very little bit taller than Lucy. I am disappointed by his film "look", (ditto for the not-so-white Witch). I think the more goatish ears, pale skin and smallish horns is an attempt to avoid Tumnus looking too "devilish". The classic representation of the devil came, of course, from the Greek god Pan...Here is a painting by W.A. Bouguereau that shows the more goat-like ears on his satyr...
kaleidoscopeyes

Postby A#minor » November 27th, 2005, 6:29 pm

A#minor
Wardrobian

Postby Karen » November 27th, 2005, 6:45 pm

I have always imagined that paradise will be a kind of library. -- Jorge Luis Borges
Karen
Wardrobian

Postby robsia » November 27th, 2005, 9:15 pm

robsia
Wardrobian

Postby A#minor » November 27th, 2005, 9:36 pm

A#minor
Wardrobian

Next

Return to The Chronicles of Narnia