This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

TLWW Musical original cast recordings mp3s for download

Please don't close the door behind you.

TLWW Musical original cast recordings mp3s for download

Postby Guest » July 29th, 2004, 5:02 pm

For anyone who'd interested, I've put up mp3s that I've ripped from my copy of the oroginal cast recording of Trumpets' TLWW: The Musical in my livejournal. The musical is an all-Filipino production which Douglas Gresham has said is his favorite musical adaptation of TLWW so far. Mr. Gresham made this statement when he dropped by the Philippines to catch the second run back in 1998.

The link to the journal entry is here:

http://www.livejournal.com/users/irian/ ... mode=reply

For those who are leery about downloading mp3s from the internet, I believe that downloading songs for sampling purposes is still legal as long as you delete the song/s within 24 hours. The CD can be purchased from , but non-Filipino residents will have to contact them to make arrangements first.

If the links don't work anymore, e-mail me and I'll try to see if I can send the songs to you.

Re: TLWW Musical original cast recordings mp3s for download

Postby carol » July 29th, 2004, 7:22 pm

carol
Wardrobian

Re: TLWW Musical original cast recordings mp3s for download

Postby Guest » July 31st, 2004, 8:41 am

Judging from the production that I watched in 2002, I think that they went back and did some changes to the script and lyrics (compared to the 1998 original cast recording) to make it a bit more faithful. You're right though, it's not completely faithful to the book, because Trumpets, being an evangelical theater group, emphasized some parts. Mostly those dealing with the Witch's "evilness", Edmund's betrayal, and the Aslan=Narnian equivalent of Christ angle. There's also the recurring "open doors" theme which was derived from Lucy's opening of the wardrobe door as being a metaphor for not being afraid to embrace new things/experiences.

I think that at the time of the original release, Trumpets' mentioned that there were two other musical versions of the book available but none suited their purposes, so they decided to make their own version.

I usually prefer a faithful adaptation for stage plays and movies (I'm crossing my fingers and hoping that Walden doesn't mangle their version) myself, but I give allowance for musicals because most Broadway musicals that I've listened to so far usually take some liberties with the original material, mostly in the interests of making the songs more listenable.

And in my opinion, Mr. Gresham probably said that this version was his favorite because of the excellent production values and the overall technical excellence in the performance. The way they did the costumes and sets were good enough for Broadway or West End, and the performers were all accomplished theater professionals. Considering that TLWW is usually limited to children's theater productions and high school drama club performances for the most part...

And maybe because Trumpets was actually willing to take a chance with *real* children to play the Pevensies instead of using adult actors trying to play the part of children like in Royal Shakespeare's version?

I tried to be fair to Trumpets

Postby carol » July 31st, 2004, 10:43 am

And hoped that some of the script changes were due to awful school ad-libbing! But I couldn't believe they would have the other three be awful to Edmund after he comes back (when Aslan has said there was no need to talk about the arrangement -and I think even after the death and resurrrection of Aslan!) it just didn't seem at all right, and not in keeping with how Lewis kept it a "secret".

The boy playing Edmund wore a cap, not a school cap (which would have been totally OK) or even a baseball cap that might have been disguisable, but a flat cap as worn by working class men from Northern England. And it was really too big for him!. AND he had bright coloured clothes - yellow shorts?! Hello, reality, where are the drab colours? I wondered. Too much of the production showed that they had all watched the BBC series carefully and copied their characterisations from it.... oh dear!

I would rather have seen Trumpets!!
carol
Wardrobian

Re: I tried to be fair to Trumpets

Postby Guest » July 31st, 2004, 1:34 pm

The other three were awful to Edmund even after his "walk" with Aslan? No, that was definitely not in the Trumpets show that I watched... Hmmm. Maybe the school didn't have a copy of the complete book and lyrics and invented their own dialog to go with the songs from the cast recording?

Well, a high school play would probably have been working on a very limited budget, so I suppose we should forgive them the costuming inaccuracies. :)

You should try watching the Trumpets show if you ever get the chance to. It may take certain liberties, mostly to expand the Christian themes already in the book, but otherwise it doesn't really butcher the story too much.

What I'm afraid for is the Walden adaptation really... Because being a Disney-backed project, company policy would call for it to be as PC as possible.

Re: I tried to be fair to Trumpets

Postby Guest » August 2nd, 2004, 9:57 pm

I saw a professional production of LWW a while back, and I have to say it was really good. It stayed well to the back, while still taking the odd creative liberty. They had Douglas Gresham working with them, and Disney (Mirimax) owned part of the "production" - they were in share with the theatre co. or something.

There was a cast of six (I think?) actors - Peter, Susan, Edmund, Lucy, White Witch, Professor (doubling for Father Christmas and the voice of Aslan). Plus there were about ten puppeteers who doubled for the rest of the animals. And six members of the Fruit Fly Circus were naiads and dryads.

They were really creative with the set changes, and the sets. The sets were really more representative than realistic - but it seemed fitting. London was simply a dark curtain with the London cityscape projected onto it, and for the Professor's House -> Narnia transition, they played out the House scenes against another curtain, which lifted to reveal Narnia.

Overall, though, it was really good.

Don't be fooled by Disney's name

Postby carol » August 3rd, 2004, 10:19 am

I've been a member of the Narniaweb site for about 6 months now, & that is the concern of lots of people arriving on the site - they suggest all sorts of problems might occur - however Disney is NOT making the film. Walden is. And they have a Christian world view. Plus Doug Gresham is involved and I like to think he is mainly a watchdog/consultant on story truths.

www.narniaweb.com is a sister site to ITW, focussing mainly on the movies, the news and the developments, plus discussion of issues related to them. When wider Lewis info is needed, we tell people to come here!
carol
Wardrobian

Return to The Chronicles of Narnia