This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

Narnian quote guessing game??

Please don't close the door behind you.

re: Narnian quote guessing game??

Postby ilja » January 6th, 2006, 6:22 pm

I'm sorry I haven't got the CoN in English. I could post a german quote (:pleased: :lol:) or a quote from LoTR which I've bought two months ago. It would be for example my signature.
"Where will wants not, a way opens, so we say," he whispered; "and so I have found myself".

"Where there's a whip there's a will, my slugs. Hold up!"
ilja
Wardrobian

Postby Mornamoice » January 10th, 2006, 1:04 am

Thank you for the pix, A# Minor!
Mornamoice
Wardrobian

Re: re: Narnian quote guessing game??

Postby Shadowland Dweller » January 10th, 2006, 7:53 pm

Shadowland Dweller
Wardrobian

Postby *~Diamond in the Rough~* » January 11th, 2006, 2:00 am

Ahh but there are ways around this, my friend:

http://world.altavista.com/

It WAS a secret until now ;) I had people believing I could speak any language out there and fluently at that LOL
Today I went to IKEA and hid in the wardrobes, and every time someone opened the doors I welcomed them to Narnia!!
*~Diamond in the Rough~*
Wardrobian

Location: The corner of 'No and where' (WA) The REAL Washington

Postby Sarah N. » January 11th, 2006, 2:48 am

Hmmm... no Latin though. Too bad. Have you all noticed how often Lewis quotes from Latin and doesn't offer a translation? I hate that. I guess it is more annoying because I half understand what is being said, but can't get the whole thing.
Live in the world as if only God and your soul were in it; then your heart will never be made captive by any earthly thing. ~ St. John of the Cross

Member of the 2456317 Club.
Sarah N.
Wardrobian

Postby Mornamoice » January 11th, 2006, 3:33 am

In Lewis's world, I think it was expected that any reasonably educated person had studied Latin and didn't need a translation. He must not have foreseen the gradual elimination of Latin from the curriculum in most schools (at least here in the US--I don't know how it is in the UK).

I had Latin in high school and went on to pursue a Classics major. My high school was the only school in the district still offering Latin when I was there... it got rid of the programme five or six years later.

My daughter attended a Classical Christian school when we lived in Colorado, and would have started Latin in second grade if we had not moved. Sadly, enrollment was not enough for the school to keep going and I've heard they had to close. I would love to find a Classical Christian school near where we live now, but there's no such thing within a reasonable distance. Katie thrived there in first grade, and was very sad when we had to move. Someday I have to get in gear and start teaching her and her siblings Latin again.

I can't guarantee the accuracy of it, but I found this freeware when I did a google search for Latin Translator. http://www.sofotex.com/Latin-Translator ... 23697.html
Mornamoice
Wardrobian

Postby ilja » January 12th, 2006, 10:52 am

OK, here are some german quotes; I post more than one at once in case you won't guess the first. I don't know if it's easy or too hard.

"Ich dachte, du wärst schon mal hier gewesen", sagte Jill.

Die Sonne stand schon hoch am Himmel und die kühlen Morgenstunden waren schon verstrichen. Es ist meine Schuld! ...

"Jetzt ist alles still hier. Doch ich habe zu Zeiten hier gestanden, als die Luft erfüllt war vom Lärm der Stadt; ..."
"Where will wants not, a way opens, so we say," he whispered; "and so I have found myself".

ilja
Wardrobian

Postby Lady Rebecca » January 20th, 2006, 4:34 am

"Well, you know how it feels if you begin hoping for something that you want desperately badly; you almost fight against the hope because it is too good to be true; you've been disappointed so often before. But it was no good trying to throttle this hope. It might - really, really, it just might be true. So many odd things had happened already." - from the magician's nephew

Member 2456317 Club
Lady Rebecca
Wardrobian

Postby Mornamoice » January 20th, 2006, 5:06 am

Mornamoice
Wardrobian

Postby Aleena » January 20th, 2006, 6:07 am

the first is a quote of by Jill from The Silver Chair.

the second is from The Horse and His Boy.

the third is (I think) Jadis commenting on Charn in The Magician's Nephew.

Did I get them right?

here's the next quote:
"You are a chap of one idea, aren't you?"
Knighted Dame Aleena of the order of countdown correctors. Appointed Steward of the Countdown until the King's return.
Standing with Israel, always.
Aleena
Wardrobian

Postby ilja » January 20th, 2006, 6:35 pm

ilja
Wardrobian

Postby Lady Rebecca » January 21st, 2006, 2:18 am

Thanks, Mornamoice, for accurate translations! :) My guesses were rather wide of the mark! :)

"You are a chap of one idea, aren't you?"

Puddleglum, to the Warden of the Marches of the Underland, who kept saying, "Many fall down, and few return to the sunlit lands."

How about this:

"Here she comes, here she comes, they cried."
"Well, you know how it feels if you begin hoping for something that you want desperately badly; you almost fight against the hope because it is too good to be true; you've been disappointed so often before. But it was no good trying to throttle this hope. It might - really, really, it just might be true. So many odd things had happened already." - from the magician's nephew

Member 2456317 Club
Lady Rebecca
Wardrobian

Postby Shadowland Dweller » January 28th, 2006, 4:24 am

Shadowland Dweller
Wardrobian

Postby Lady Rebecca » January 28th, 2006, 5:40 am

<Sighing Deeply, with a smile on her face, Lady Rebecca replies>

The most beautiful part of the move. The Princess Bride is funny, and mostly silly, but at certain points, truth shines out like a beacon and it quite takes my breath away.

Member 2456317 Club
Lady Rebecca
Wardrobian

Postby Shadowland Dweller » January 30th, 2006, 3:15 am

Shadowland Dweller
Wardrobian

PreviousNext

Return to The Chronicles of Narnia