This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

Harry Potter vs Narnia

Please don't close the door behind you.

Re: re: Harry Potter vs Narnia

Postby kevinbailey » December 18th, 2005, 12:31 am

kevinbailey

re: Harry Potter vs Narnia

Postby SweetieNookins » December 18th, 2005, 4:37 am

To address a question to me.

SweetieNookins wrote:
I know that the Holy Spirit did not give Rowling the idea for the H.P. books ...

I'm curious to know how you know this. It's quite a statement.

I know this because I have the Holy Spirit inside of me and He gives me the discernment of what is of Him and what is not of Him. H.P. books are not of Him. You must take all things back to the Word of God. As Christians we are to be accountable to one another. If someone claims that they are a Christian and we see them in sin we have a responsibility to confront that Christian in love in the hopes of seeing them turn away from that sin. Anyone can say they are a Christian but that does not make them one. Lets take a look at Galatians 5:19-26
19The acts of the sinful nature are obvious: sexual immorality, impurity and debauchery; 20idolatry and witchcraft; hatred, discord, jealousy, fits of rage, selfish ambition, dissensions, factions 21and envy; drunkenness, orgies, and the like. I warn you, as I did before, that those who live like this will not inherit the kingdom of God. 22But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law. 24Those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the sinful nature with its passions and desires. 25Since we live by the Spirit, let us keep in step with the Spirit. 26Let us not become conceited, provoking and envying each other.

I know because His Word is plain and I believe His Word and try to live what I say I believe.

Second question to me
SweetieNookins wrote:
The Bible is very clear on witchcraft and bottom line it is wrong. Any power that is not from the power of God is wrong.

So your definition of witchcraft is something like:

witchcraft: an activity whereby one seeks to obtain and exercise powers that are not of God

My response: Uuuuhhh.....no. I was saying that witchcraft is wrong and then as a matter of fact any power (along with witchcraft) that is not from God is wrong.

The definition of witchcraft is
1. exercise of magical powers: the art or exercise of magical powers
2. effect of magical powers: the effect or influence of magical powers
3. seductive charm: alluring or seductive charm or influence (informal)

Encarta ® World English Dictionary © & (P) 1998-2004 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

The definition of magic is

1. conjuring tricks: conjuring tricks and illusions that make apparently impossible things seem to happen, usually performed as entertainment
2. inexplicable things: a special, mysterious, or inexplicable quality, talent, or skill
watched the dancer’s feet work their magic

3. supposed supernatural power: a supposed supernatural power that makes impossible things happen, or that gives somebody control over the forces of nature.
Magic is used in many cultures for healing, keeping away evil, seeking the truth, and for vengeful purposes.
4. practice of magic: the use of supposed supernatural power to make impossible things happen

Encarta ® World English Dictionary © & (P) 1998-2004 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

Where is the 'witchcraft' in the Potter books said to be not of God?

I am not sure I understand this question witchcraft is not of God period.
How do I know this well lets look at
Deuteronomy 18:9-13 9 When you enter the land the LORD your God is giving you, do not learn to imitate the detestable ways of the nations there. 10 Let no one be found among you who sacrifices his son or daughter in [a] the fire, who practices divination or sorcery, interprets omens, engages in witchcraft, 11 or casts spells, or who is a medium or spiritist or who consults the dead. 12 Anyone who does these things is detestable to the LORD, and because of these detestable practices the LORD your God will drive out those nations before you. 13 You must be blameless before the LORD your God.

2 Chronicles 33:1-6
1 Manasseh was twelve years old when he became king, and he reigned in Jerusalem fifty-five years. 2 He did evil in the eyes of the LORD, following the detestable practices of the nations the LORD had driven out before the Israelites. 3 He rebuilt the high places his father Hezekiah had demolished; he also erected altars to the Baals and made Asherah poles. He bowed down to all the starry hosts and worshiped them. 4 He built altars in the temple of the LORD, of which the LORD had said, "My Name will remain in Jerusalem forever." 5 In both courts of the temple of the LORD, he built altars to all the starry hosts. 6 He sacrificed his sons in [a] the fire in the Valley of Ben Hinnom, practiced sorcery, divination and witchcraft, and consulted mediums and spiritists. He did much evil in the eyes of the LORD, provoking him to anger.

Okay I am out of time and don't know if there are any other questions I needed to answer. So thanks for listening to someone who sees things very much in a right and wrong way.
SweetieNookins

Postby Leslie » December 18th, 2005, 3:38 pm

"What are you laughing at?"
"At myself. My little puny self," said Phillipa.
--Rumer Godden, In This House of Brede
Leslie
Wardrobian

Postby Bill » December 18th, 2005, 3:53 pm

Time is the fire in which we burn!

Bill
Wardrobian

Postby Ahutchga1972 » December 18th, 2005, 4:26 pm

Ahutchga1972
Wardrobian

Postby SweetieNookins » December 18th, 2005, 9:18 pm

Excuse me Leslie but you put words in my mouth that did not come from me. No where did I say that I can infallibly discern all things spiritual. I am sorry if I am stepping on your toes about H.P. books. Most people who get so defensive are usually being convicted about what they are trying to defend or justify. Instead of putting words in my mouth why don't you check your heart first.

Bill, what does the pope have to do with anything? I did NOT say that I was infallible. Christ inside of me is but I am just a human like you and anyone else and there is nothing infallible about me. Leslie started that untrue rumor by twisting my words.

I am sorry you took what I said as being infallible. I am not sorry for what I said. I will not back down nor retract that the Holy Spirit resides in me. It's all about Him and He gives me the wisdom to know what is of God and what is not.
SweetieNookins

Postby Bill » December 18th, 2005, 10:02 pm

Time is the fire in which we burn!

Bill
Wardrobian

Postby Leslie » December 19th, 2005, 1:09 am

Leslie
Wardrobian

Postby SweetieNookins » December 19th, 2005, 2:16 am

SweetieNookins

Postby Leslie » December 19th, 2005, 2:53 am

There is no offence, Sweetie. When you have spent more time in the Wardrobe, you will see that we discuss things very seriously at times, but with good will toward one another. Just because we disagree doesn't mean that we have taken offence.

The problem with discussion on the internet is that all we have to go by is the way you express yourself in what you type. And here in the Wardrobe we tend to look very carefully at the way things are phrased. If you are trying to prove a point, it is best to choose your words carefully, so that they won't be misunderstood. Sometimes the slightest detail can detract from your argument.

I'm not being petty, and I hope it doesn't come across like that. I understand that you are passionate about God, and I understand your views. I too am passionate about God and seeking the truth in everything. That is why I raise questions about things that don't sound quite right to me. But I am not asking you to explain yourself to me; as you rightly point out, you are answerable only to God - as is everyone else.
Leslie
Wardrobian

Postby Jeff » December 19th, 2005, 3:40 am

"Poets have been mysteriously silent on the subject of cheese" --G. K. Chesterton

Proud member of The 2456317 Club
Jeff
Wardrobian

Postby alecto » December 19th, 2005, 10:39 pm

Sentio ergo est.
alecto
Wardrobian

Postby J3susFreak » January 3rd, 2006, 6:30 am

My kind is known only as,The JesusFreaks. We are laughed at and mocked. Their is only one road,Christianity. You can choose to follow,or you can choose not to follow. The choice is yours, so decide. Choose a deep intimicy for Christ, And become a person known only as, a JESUSFREAK!
J3susFreak

Postby J3susFreak » January 3rd, 2006, 6:34 am

My kind is known only as,The JesusFreaks. We are laughed at and mocked. Their is only one road,Christianity. You can choose to follow,or you can choose not to follow. The choice is yours, so decide. Choose a deep intimicy for Christ, And become a person known only as, a JESUSFREAK!
J3susFreak

Postby robsia » January 3rd, 2006, 1:05 pm

robsia
Wardrobian

PreviousNext

Return to The Chronicles of Narnia