This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

Discussion of Paul F. Ford's review

Please don't close the door behind you.

Discussion of Paul F. Ford's review

Postby Stanley Anderson » December 15th, 2005, 4:10 pm

…on a night of rain Frodo smelled a sweet fragrance on the air and heard the sound of singing that came over the water. And then it seemed to him that as in his dream in the house of Bombadil, the grey rain-curtain turned all to silver glass and was rolled back, and he beheld white shores and beyond them a fair green country under a swift sunrise.
Stanley Anderson
Wardrobian

re: Discussion of Paul F. Ford's review

Postby hand_carved » December 15th, 2005, 6:41 pm

Paul,

Thank you for that review. I was equally disheartened that they completely took out "The Emperor Over the Sea" from Narnia. By doing this, they turned Narnia into Star Wars -- the "deep magic" being "The Force," a belief that Lewis was adamantly opposed to. What I think is even more silly is that they include such mythical creatures as fauns, dryads, Father Christmas, the book on Tumnus' shelf "Life and Letters of Silaneus," and many other myths, but they leave out The Myth of the Emperor over the Sea. This is completely preposterous, even from an artistic standpoint. It's like taking "The Architect" out of the Matrix. Pointless and idiotic -- unless you are trying to make Narnia something it was not created to be (i.e., "Star Wars").

I also agree that it would have been better with the "resurrection romp" left in. However -- and I could certainly be mistaken -- I do not think that we can read (even in the book) Aslan's death and resurrection as an exact representation of what Christ did for us. As I have pointed out before (indeed, Lewis even mentions it on the passages you cite in your well-done article) Christ died to restore fellowship between God and Man. This is Christianity (Lewis seems to say this in that quotation, but then he leaves it out of his summation of Christianity in the following paragraph...odd). I think that Stanley Grenz (a soul that will be sorely missed) majestically explained how everything God has done, and every aspect of theology ultimately points to the restoration of perfect community (see Theology for the Community of God). Restoration of perfect community was the goal, the destination of Christ's death; the resurrection and the life we in turn receive is the vehicle that brings us to that destination. Christ did not die simply that we might live, but that we might live through Him in fellowship with God (i.e., the Trinity).

Again, I could be missing something, but it appears that the purpose, the "destination," of Aslan's death and resurrection and the purpose of Christ's resurrection are not exactly the same. Indeed, Aslan died so that Edmund might live in community with Narnia (and Aslan), but there is nothing mentioned about any kind of fellowship or community between the Emperor (i.e. "God") and Edmund. If we say "Aslan is God; Fellowship with Aslan is fellowship with God," we commit the heresy of Sabellianism (i.e., "Christ is God the Father"). It seems, rather that Aslan is more of a "Type" of Christ just as "Melchizidek" was a type of Christ, or Christ is a "type" of Adam (i.e., "the Second Adam") -- not exactly the same, but very similar, and we can learn about Christ by studying these types.

I would like to hear your thoughts on this. Thanks so much for sharing your excellent article.
Blog: flatlanderdox.blogspot.com
hand_carved
Wardrobian

Postby Solomons Song » December 15th, 2005, 7:40 pm

Member of the "2453617 Club"
Solomons Song
Wardrobian

Postby Adam Linton » December 17th, 2005, 5:38 am

we have not loosely through silence permitted things to pass away as in a dream
Adam Linton
Wardrobian

Postby Mornamoice » December 18th, 2005, 7:26 am

Mornamoice
Wardrobian

Postby A#minor » December 19th, 2005, 12:42 am

"My brain and this world don't fit each other, and there's an end of it!" - G.K. Chesterton
A#minor
Wardrobian

Re: re: Discussion of Paul F. Ford's review

Postby Paul F. Ford » December 19th, 2005, 3:30 pm

Paul Ford—self-appointed president of the "245-3617 Club" and proud member of the "245-6317 Club"; author of the Companion to Narnia and the Pocket Companion to Narnia.
Paul F. Ford
Wardrobian

Re: Discussion of Paul F. Ford's review

Postby Paul F. Ford » December 19th, 2005, 3:37 pm

Paul Ford—self-appointed president of the "245-3617 Club" and proud member of the "245-6317 Club"; author of the Companion to Narnia and the Pocket Companion to Narnia.
Paul F. Ford
Wardrobian

Postby Solomons Song » December 19th, 2005, 5:42 pm

Solomons Song
Wardrobian

Postby john » December 19th, 2005, 5:46 pm

john
Chief Wardrobian
john
Chief Wardrobian

Postby Allison » December 19th, 2005, 6:00 pm

We find comfort among those who agree with us, growth among those who don't.
--Frank A. Clark
Allison
Wardrobian

Postby john » December 19th, 2005, 6:04 pm

john
Chief Wardrobian
john
Chief Wardrobian

Postby carol » December 19th, 2005, 7:08 pm

carol
Wardrobian

Postby Stanley Anderson » December 19th, 2005, 7:37 pm

…on a night of rain Frodo smelled a sweet fragrance on the air and heard the sound of singing that came over the water. And then it seemed to him that as in his dream in the house of Bombadil, the grey rain-curtain turned all to silver glass and was rolled back, and he beheld white shores and beyond them a fair green country under a swift sunrise.
Stanley Anderson
Wardrobian

Postby Solomons Song » December 19th, 2005, 8:13 pm

Solomons Song
Wardrobian

Next

Return to The Chronicles of Narnia