This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

Warring Trees

Please don't close the door behind you.

Warring Trees

Postby Lady Rebecca » December 21st, 2005, 4:34 am

I just finished reading Prince Caspian, and was surprised to notice that the trees/dryads played an important role in defeating the armies of Miraz. I had forgotten about that part. The scene bears a distinct resemblence to the Ents effectively destroying Isengard in The Two Towers. I find it interesting that both Lewis and Tolkien used the idea of trees coming awake and defending their homeland.

This similarity also brings to my mind a verse I have always found fascinating in the Old Testament. It is regarding David's wayward son Absalom, who started a rebellion against him. The armies of David and Absalom clashed in battle in a wood of Ephraim. David's troops carried the day. The account then states:

"For the battle was there scattered over the face of all the country: and the wood devoured more people that day than the sword devoured." II Samuel 18:8

Now of course, the wood here was not actually made up of sentient tree-people. However, the word "devoured" gives a feeling, that, in a way, the forest was actively destroying Absalom's army. Absalom himself was captured by the forest - he rode under an oak, and his head was caught in it, and he couldn't get loose. Then Joab came and slew him.

Any thoughts on this?
"Well, you know how it feels if you begin hoping for something that you want desperately badly; you almost fight against the hope because it is too good to be true; you've been disappointed so often before. But it was no good trying to throttle this hope. It might - really, really, it just might be true. So many odd things had happened already." - from the magician's nephew

Member 2456317 Club
Lady Rebecca
Wardrobian

re: Warring Trees

Postby Messenger_of_Eden » December 21st, 2005, 6:25 am

Interesting parallel (The Ents and the Dryads)--I had never thought about it before. But...I think that the account of the woods devouring Absalom's army is meant in a figurative sense ;) Although...since none of us were there, who knows but God?? wouldn't it have been weird if it really was a literal devouring? I bet there's a clue in the original Hebrew.
"If you believe what you like in the Gospel, and reject what you don't like, it is not the Gospel you believe, but yourself."--St. Augustine of Hippo
Messenger_of_Eden
Wardrobian

Postby Alan » December 21st, 2005, 9:05 am

I always thought there was a strong parallel wish Shakespear's Scottish play

'When Burnham wood comes to Dunsinane'
This product does not require batteries
Alan
Wardrobian

Postby sehoy » December 21st, 2005, 10:15 am

cor meum vigilat
sehoy

Postby Sarah N. » December 21st, 2005, 4:22 pm

In the special features of the Return of the King, extended edition, one of the Tolkien historians says that the Ents were inspired by Macbeth. The historian said that Tolkien was very excited when he thought the woods were going to move, and then was disappointed when he found out it was just "a bunch of soldiers with leaves in their hats." So he decided to "do it properly" in his book, and make the woods actually move. The parallel with the Ents and the trees in the Prince Caspian struck me too, this time through. It has been much too long since I have read CoN, and I am reading through again.
Live in the world as if only God and your soul were in it; then your heart will never be made captive by any earthly thing. ~ St. John of the Cross

Member of the 2456317 Club.
Sarah N.
Wardrobian

Postby A#minor » December 21st, 2005, 6:28 pm

I have that verse from II Samuel marked in my Bible. I suppose the same thing struck me a few years ago, and I've just forgotten about it.
I wouldn't put it past God to make trees move and kill the army of a rebellious son. He's made the earth swallow up rebellious people, and made the sea drown them.
"My brain and this world don't fit each other, and there's an end of it!" - G.K. Chesterton
A#minor
Wardrobian

Re: re: Warring Trees

Postby Messenger_of_Eden » December 22nd, 2005, 1:20 am

"If you believe what you like in the Gospel, and reject what you don't like, it is not the Gospel you believe, but yourself."--St. Augustine of Hippo
Messenger_of_Eden
Wardrobian

Postby sehoy » December 22nd, 2005, 10:09 am

cor meum vigilat
sehoy

Postby Lady Rebecca » December 23rd, 2005, 8:59 pm

"Well, you know how it feels if you begin hoping for something that you want desperately badly; you almost fight against the hope because it is too good to be true; you've been disappointed so often before. But it was no good trying to throttle this hope. It might - really, really, it just might be true. So many odd things had happened already." - from the magician's nephew

Member 2456317 Club
Lady Rebecca
Wardrobian

Re: re: Warring Trees

Postby Stanley Anderson » December 23rd, 2005, 10:15 pm

…on a night of rain Frodo smelled a sweet fragrance on the air and heard the sound of singing that came over the water. And then it seemed to him that as in his dream in the house of Bombadil, the grey rain-curtain turned all to silver glass and was rolled back, and he beheld white shores and beyond them a fair green country under a swift sunrise.
Stanley Anderson
Wardrobian

Return to The Chronicles of Narnia