This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

Loyal Narnia fans

Please don't close the door behind you.

re: Loyal Narnia fans

Postby Shadowland Dweller » January 19th, 2006, 2:48 pm

Shadowland Dweller
Wardrobian

Re: re: Loyal Narnia fans

Postby Mornamoice » January 19th, 2006, 4:13 pm

Thank you for the pix, A# Minor!
Mornamoice
Wardrobian

Postby Unicornguy » January 19th, 2006, 4:27 pm

Unicornguy
Wardrobian

Postby Stanley Anderson » January 19th, 2006, 5:49 pm

How about if a fan is simply someone who wants to be a fan, just as a Wardrobian is someone who wants to be a Wardrobian (at least that's how it was in the past before the official designation under a person's screen name with its "x" number of posts requirement)?

I'm not sure there is a lot of benefit to making sure that the label "fan", self-identified or not, is "accurate" by some sort of quantifiable definition. A person's level of interest/knowledge in things Narnian soon becomes apparent by simply being around them and talking or posting about Narnia. Certainly there is enjoyement in being around others of like interests. But for those with more discerning interests at a fairly high level, the word "fan", even with a defined "minimun standard", will not indicate much without indulging in a certain amount of involvment and time with the other person anyway. And for those who care only about the most superficial "I loved the movie" kind of enthusiasm, the "wannabe" definition is perfectly adequate.

So why not allow the more all-encompassing version and be satisfied with it -- the primary purpose of the word, after all, is to act only as an initial "signal-flag" to find others of like interests.
-------------------------

But if one still wants a "workable" definition for "fan", given some of the views in this thread, I suppose one could say that when the bull starts flying, one can identify them by the irriation that develops when the s--- hits the fan:-)

--Stanley
…on a night of rain Frodo smelled a sweet fragrance on the air and heard the sound of singing that came over the water. And then it seemed to him that as in his dream in the house of Bombadil, the grey rain-curtain turned all to silver glass and was rolled back, and he beheld white shores and beyond them a fair green country under a swift sunrise.
Stanley Anderson
Wardrobian

Postby glumPuddle » February 21st, 2006, 5:49 am

I definitly know what you mean.
I wouldn't say I feel "jelously." Since the movie came out, I feel "proud" that I was a fan of these stories long before the movie came out.
But there have been moments where I looked at new fans and thought the same thing: "So you think you're a Narnia fan, huh?"

And, unfortunatly, the question about the chronological order bring correct is one I have to ask new fans and old fans, haha. (I am Pro-Publication Order)
<---Click
Chronological Order: 1950, 1951, 1952, 1953, 1954, 1955, 1956
glumPuddle
Wardrobian

Postby captainhaddock » November 14th, 2006, 1:57 pm

I'm a fan, I've read them more times than I can count!
I felt very jealous when they started making the movie. I hated the idea and tried to distance myself from talking about it cos it got me all stressed!
Since its been out and I've seen it I've relaxed a bit, but the DVD will never cross the threshold of my house!
I like the way people are discovering Narnia but I was there first!!! :wink:
I'm semi serious. They just mean a lot to me and I don't like the idea of someone messing with them :smile:
Fran
"though Puddleglum...often pointed out that bright mornings brought on wet afternoons, and that you couldn't expect good times to last."
captainhaddock
Wardrobian

Postby A#minor » November 14th, 2006, 10:55 pm

"My brain and this world don't fit each other, and there's an end of it!" - G.K. Chesterton
A#minor
Wardrobian

Postby Erin » November 14th, 2006, 11:11 pm

I, too, am an ardent/militant fan of the books. But, I think some ‘new fans’ -even those who’ve only seen the movie- should be given more credit depending on why they liked the movie.

I find it terribly annoying when someone likes the movie because of how ‘hot’ Peter is. But, if someone bawls at the movie theater when Aslan rises from the Stone Table, they’ve obviously fallen in love with the story, and deserve the title of ‘fan’ just like anyone who’s read (and reread) the books.

(Of course, all the pre-movie Narnia fans get bonus points for loving the books and the awesomeness that is C.S. Lewis. Congratulations to us. :grin: )

EMF
Erin

Postby captainhaddock » November 15th, 2006, 2:31 am

"though Puddleglum...often pointed out that bright mornings brought on wet afternoons, and that you couldn't expect good times to last."
captainhaddock
Wardrobian

Postby carol » November 15th, 2006, 9:25 am

Ooh, extreme fandom!!! Mods!!! :shocked:

Darn, wrong website. :wink: :lol:

[Goes back to her quiet life :coffee: ]
carol
Wardrobian

Postby LucyPevensie » January 12th, 2007, 7:08 pm

LucyPevensie
Wardrobian

Postby carol » January 12th, 2007, 8:22 pm

carol
Wardrobian

Postby BeeLayne » January 12th, 2007, 10:05 pm

"We are armed with the truth. What can harm us if we are armed with the truth?"
"Well, a crossbow bolt can, e.g., go right through your eye and out the back of your head."
BeeLayne
Wardrobian

Postby Pete » January 13th, 2007, 6:33 am

Member of The 2456317 Club

Pete
Wardrobian

Postby LucyPevensie » January 13th, 2007, 9:36 pm

OK. I get your point. :smile: But most people I've met who haven't read the books but watched the movie really didn't like the movie all that much so I really don't think you have that much to worry about. :cool: My grandpa lent me his gigantic all-the-books-in-one copy at Christmas. Just to let you know I'm not totally book-less on this side of the ocean!

LucyPevensie

P.S. How do you change your profile stuff? :??:
LucyPevensie
Wardrobian

PreviousNext

Return to The Chronicles of Narnia