This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

Loyal Narnia fans

Please don't close the door behind you.

Re: first post... bear with me.

Postby Pete » January 15th, 2007, 11:28 pm

Member of The 2456317 Club

Pete
Wardrobian

Postby UrendiMaleldil » January 16th, 2007, 1:51 pm

yea. i understand some of the points you make. i can't really explain why i get so hung up on lucy's response to peter when they all finally enter narnia together. i think the director wanted us to think of it as cute & playful... but i think nowadays, it's harder for people to imagine a person just being good natured... selfless & sweet without... also... being... witty? i know, i'm nitpicking. like i said, it's just a general attitude. i'm not sure i agree about the characters being accurate. i think in an effort to communicate certain points that lewis makes, they went overboard. peter does take responsibility for his treatment of edmond, but in the movie... in the opening scenes... were they trying to make edmond a martyr & peter just a jerky big brother? i'm not sure. susan is written in the books to be cautious... maybe the "motherly" figure... so in the movie that is translated to her... throughout the entire film... wanting to go home. and even having attitude about it. i can't remember if she even suggests it after they've met Aslan or not. i thought she did, but i could be wrong. "ok, now we've met the Real King of this land... and He's more amazing than we could have possibly dreamed... and it turns out that there's this prophecy about us, and we are to be kings & queens, with Him as our Head... let's go home. this is lame." haha... now i'm just being obnoxious :wink: it reminds me of that one part in perelandra... after ransom has just... literally saved a new world from being "destroyed"... and malacandra says to him "be comforted. it is no doing of yours. you are not great, though you could have prevented a thing so great that Deep Heaven sees it with amazement. be comforted, small one, in your smallness. he lays no merit on you. receive and be glad."

all that to say, i thought that generally, small traits were exaggerated for the sake of telling the story. just small injustices. that's all.

i know what you mean though about narnia being the new fad. i was actually talking with someone about narnia, someone who had only seen the movie... and they were arguing with me about the way something happened. it was far from their minds that the movie could actually be different. i could only laugh. aside from that, i'm surprised at how little it has bugged me. it's become the new harry potter. instead of kids being witches & wizards, they're all future kings & queens of narnia... or at least that's what their t-shirts say (i guess we could just be happy at the change). i'm honestly not sure if lewis would find it vexing or amusing. but... at least i'm mildly entertained. ha.
UrendiMaleldil
Wardrobian

Postby BeeLayne » January 16th, 2007, 2:39 pm

Remember that we all have our own interpretations of the characters in the books. The director was just giving his in the movie. Personally I'm fine with them all except for the White Witch who was (IMO) completely off, but that's a whole other rabbit trail. Anyway, my point is that in reading a book we all infuse the characters with our own ideas, so to bicker about little things that could be correct or might be wrong seems a bit pointless. It's not that I don't sympathize what you are saying (see earlier sentence on WW), but that I'm trying to help put it in perspective. I guess it is a little easier for me because I went into the movie hoping it would be good but expecting it to be bad. In expecting it to be bad (I am such a purist) I actually was able to enjoy it because it wasn't terrible. I certainly will want my kids to grow up reading the books before they watch the movies, that way they can get their own sense of the characters before being innundated with someone else's.

As to Narnia being the new fad, don't you just love that people are getting into the Narnia ideas more than HP? Don't get me wrong, I enjoy HP to a point, but Narnia will always be for me more pure and good and wild than HP.
"We are armed with the truth. What can harm us if we are armed with the truth?"
"Well, a crossbow bolt can, e.g., go right through your eye and out the back of your head."
BeeLayne
Wardrobian

Postby LucyPevensie » January 16th, 2007, 7:00 pm

The only way to keep your health is to eat what you don't want, drink what you don't like, and do what you'd rather not.
Mark Twain (1835 - 1910)
LucyPevensie
Wardrobian

Postby LucyPevensie » January 16th, 2007, 7:00 pm

The only way to keep your health is to eat what you don't want, drink what you don't like, and do what you'd rather not.
Mark Twain (1835 - 1910)
LucyPevensie
Wardrobian

Postby LucyPevensie » January 16th, 2007, 7:02 pm

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910)
LucyPevensie
Wardrobian

Postby UrendiMaleldil » January 16th, 2007, 7:43 pm

UrendiMaleldil
Wardrobian

Postby LucyPevensie » January 16th, 2007, 8:13 pm

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910)
LucyPevensie
Wardrobian

Postby UrendiMaleldil » January 17th, 2007, 2:19 am

haha. yea.
i am definitely opinionated.... ask my husband! i was intending to convey that i don't take myself too seriously. unfortunately, it's difficult to make that obvious on a forum. but just to clarify, i don't go around slamming the movie to people who ask me if they should see it... and i do try not to give my opinion carelessly. i went into the movie with the highest hopes. i had already read a few annoying comments made by the people in the movie & by the director, but i was trying to not let that bother me. my husband and i convinced our small group to dress up and see the midnight showing... and it was a lot of fun. but all in all, i just strongly disliked it (most reasons listed above). i grew up not only reading them, but i remember watching that crazy 70's cartoon of the LWW, and i still love it to this day (even if it is ridiculously cheesey) then of course, the BBC versions crack me up and provide decent entertainment... so this movie really didn't enhance the story for me at all. sure, the action was exciting and the cast attractive, but i am more apt to just disregard it and label it as "unimportant" than anything else. anyway. sorry for blabbing on and on. :smile:
UrendiMaleldil
Wardrobian

Postby BeeLayne » January 17th, 2007, 3:08 am

"We are armed with the truth. What can harm us if we are armed with the truth?"
"Well, a crossbow bolt can, e.g., go right through your eye and out the back of your head."
BeeLayne
Wardrobian

Postby Pete » January 17th, 2007, 9:40 am

Member of The 2456317 Club

Pete
Wardrobian

Postby UrendiMaleldil » January 17th, 2007, 1:49 pm

ha, sorry for the misspelling. it was an honest typo. in future i will take better care as now i see it can become quite an issue!

well, it actually is malacandra who speaks to ransom on perelandra, not maleldil at that point :smile:

BeeLayne, i agree with you most of all i think. really, there is no representation good enough or entertaining enough to be superior to just reading the books. when i watch a movie i am entertained. when i read the books, i am there, experiencing it all for myself. honestly, i'm sorry for being so late in the narnia movie nonsense. when the movie was getting ready to be released, i came here and searched the forums to find out what people were saying about it, and i didn't have much luck (i'm sure i just didn't look in the right places) and what i read on other fan sites was all excitement and delight. so i'm a little behind :smile: i really was just interested in hearing what people thought about it. haha, now i am satisfied. :wink:

i'm still not sure though if lewis and especially tolkien meant to leave the reader with the freedom to think what they want to about the characters. i look at all of the authors that i love the most, and they all seem to have a common thread. they wrote intentionally. some things that the director & actors (of the new film) said about how lewis never intended us to think this, or that, & that he left it all up to us to determine (i could find the quotes if necessary) are in direct contradiction to some of the things lewis said in his letters & essays. specifically, in one of his "letters to children". i promise that i am not trying to profess this as a solid opinion of truth, etc. it's just something i've been thinking a lot about. tolkien himself had very strict things that he was trying to convey in his work, and i think he would be quick to tell us if we got something wrong, or if we were missing a bigger point... but that's only what i gather from reading (again...) his letters & essays. i read the narnia books... and the lord of the rings, and the silmarillion for pleasure (extreme pleasure, & joy) so i don't ever want to be one of those people who lose the joy of reading because they are too concerned with what things mean. but now that i have read them many, many times, as well as most of lewis' other books, and tolkien's unifished tales, and lost tales and the histories of middle earth, etc. etc. etc. i think it has become difficult for me to disassociate what i am reading & thinking & feeling from the author, & what he writes about this subject in "perelandra", or "a grief observed" (i know, you get the idea) or what he, perhaps intended me to think & feel.

again. i am not trying to argue a point. it's just something that i always seem to consider when the point is made about all of our own "interpretations" and how they are right in their own way. anyway... the comments made by the director and... tilda swinton? i think :wink: were what really put me off initially when the movie was first released.

why am i so afraid to push the submit button? newbie nerves, i suppose. :wink:
UrendiMaleldil
Wardrobian

Postby Stanley Anderson » January 17th, 2007, 3:38 pm

…on a night of rain Frodo smelled a sweet fragrance on the air and heard the sound of singing that came over the water. And then it seemed to him that as in his dream in the house of Bombadil, the grey rain-curtain turned all to silver glass and was rolled back, and he beheld white shores and beyond them a fair green country under a swift sunrise.
Stanley Anderson
Wardrobian

Postby LucyPevensie » January 17th, 2007, 4:12 pm

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910)
LucyPevensie
Wardrobian

Postby A#minor » January 17th, 2007, 5:48 pm

"My brain and this world don't fit each other, and there's an end of it!" - G.K. Chesterton
A#minor
Wardrobian

PreviousNext

Return to The Chronicles of Narnia