This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

The BBC Susan

Please don't close the door behind you.

The BBC Susan

Postby Pete » February 2nd, 2006, 6:43 am

I was going to post this in the Prince Caspian: The movie thread, but I felt this issue really deserves a thread of its own.

I've been thinking recently, how disappointed I am with the BBC adaptation of PC. The reason I say that is because, not only does it seem much less joyful and much more gloomy, I feel that they really didn't portray Lucy or Susan as closely to the book as they should have. I recently we-watched them (probably for about the 1000th time! :lol:) and I felt that Lucy portrayed as a bit of an annoying brat. With the argument between Susan & Lucy at the train station being part of that, and then at the cliff, Lucy's "We're lost!" being an even more evident example of that brat they made her out to be. Where as we hardly hear a word out of Susan, and the only real hint to her giving in to her fears is the fact that she saw Aslan second-last. The "Oh dear, where do you think you saw him?" didn't really convince me. All that suggested to me was that Lu & Su have some issues between themselves that they need to have a resolution to.

Does anyone else feel similarly about the portrayals of Su & Lu in the BBC series?
Member of The 2456317 Club

Pete
Wardrobian

re: The BBC Susan

Postby carol » February 2nd, 2006, 7:21 am

The problem was that because they made one series from two books, everything had to be shortened, and impressions were rather laid on with a trowel.

Let's look forward to much better characterisations - and scripting.

Won't it be fantastic to see it all!?
carol
Wardrobian

Postby Messenger_of_Eden » February 2nd, 2006, 7:30 am

You know I have seen the BBC LWW many times, but the others only once--just to watch them. I don't remember anything about Prince Caspian (&the voyage of the Dawn Treader) except the adorable curly haired Caspian--I loved his hair. The rest of the movie is a COMPLETE fog. Hmmm.

I will say that I never liked the Lucy in those--I thought she was a bit annoying, and not in the least how I have always imagined her.

The Lucy in the new movie is much softer and sweeter and does the job with brilliance.
"If you believe what you like in the Gospel, and reject what you don't like, it is not the Gospel you believe, but yourself."--St. Augustine of Hippo
Messenger_of_Eden
Wardrobian

Postby Alan » February 3rd, 2006, 10:21 am

Technically the BBC versions of Narnia were very flawed and they certainly have not stood the test of time. They were made on a very limited budget and it shows, by today's standards they are very poor quality.

That having been said I'd like to add a note of praise for their courage. The BBC's output was done at a period of time when Narnia was very unfashionable. It was hard going to sell these programmes in the face of the opposition. Kids were tuning in to 'The A Team', 'CHIPS', 'The Dukes of Hazzard' 'Knight Rider' and a whole host of violent American imports which raised violence, car chases and guns to the level of idol worshiping. Everything had to be American, fast and flashy. The BBC were utterly courageous in attempting to turn the tide and provide an output that celebrated England and a series of stories that made children think deeply about serious issues. In that respect they were utterly successful. At that time it is absolutely true to say that 'Lord of the Rings' was, and remains, the most revered series of fantasy books. Narnia was viewed almost with contempt, particularly by academic circles. In my honest opinion the BBC turned the tide.

It's absolutely true that when viewed against the excellent new movie the BBC's 'The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe' is drab. I would argue, strongly, however that without the BBC turning the tide and without the success of Peter Jackson's LOTR trilogy the current film would never have been so well funded and as a result would have been as flat as the BBC's versions.
This product does not require batteries
Alan
Wardrobian

Postby Pete » February 3rd, 2006, 10:55 am

Well said, Alan, and they clearly didn't shy away from some of clear Christian statements either - one in particular, Aslan's comment that He is in our world too but here He has another name. If that's not clearly pointing towards Jesus Christ, I don't know what is, and the BBC certainly didn't shy away from quoting that line. Personally, the fact that they quoted it in what would become their final production (SC) works well also - well it worked on me anyway...I mean, I saw the series and loved them and from that my interest grew to reading the books.

I must say I still love the BBC series (despite the technical flaws). I just struggle, though, with the fact that they made Lucy into a brat and made Susan into a rather 1-dimensional character. That's my main issue, above everything else....*sighs* Where's her fear and lack of faith that is clearly evident in the book (PC)?

Pete
Wardrobian

Re: re: The BBC Susan

Postby wood-maid » February 4th, 2006, 12:37 am

"Jill," said Tirian, "you are the bravest and most wood-wise of all my subjects, but also the most malapert and disobedient."
"By the Mane!" he whispered to Eustace. "This girl is a wondrous wood-maid. If she had Dryad's blood in her she could scarce do it better." - The Last Battle
wood-maid
Wardrobian

Postby Edisonbaggins » February 4th, 2006, 4:02 am

Pete,

I find it facsinating that you were introduced to Narnia by the BBC movies and that they won you over! I tried watching LLW several days past and found it absolutely unwatchable. I don't mean to be insulting to anyone here, but in English culture is the Lucy from the BBC LLW a bit overweight? I find the Lucy from the new movie to be much, much more visually appealing. She is also a superb actress. In my opinion she steals the show. The movie could have been called "Lucy of Narnia" for all I care. As for Susan, she was great in the new film, but I don't remember much of her at all from the BBC. I haven't seen Caspian/Dawn Treader yet, but I have abissmally low expectations for it...
gollum!!!...

Note: Edisonbaggins was very bombed when writing this post against better judgement.
Member of the 8765309 Club
Edisonbaggins
Wardrobian

Postby Pete » February 4th, 2006, 8:29 am

Pete
Wardrobian

Postby Edisonbaggins » February 4th, 2006, 6:40 pm

Edisonbaggins
Wardrobian

Postby Larry W. » February 5th, 2006, 1:49 am

The actresses that played Lucy and Susan did fit their parts, although they did not give great performances. Lewis had described Lucy in book as a very truthful girl, and I guess she might have had a sweet nature to go along with that. Gorgie Henley, the actress who played her in new film, was more appealing with that kind of personality. Susan wasn't too bad in the BBC movies, but we didn't get to see much of her there either-- her character was more developed in the book. The new film made her stronger with Anna Popplewell in the role.

The script of the BBC movies is closer to the book than the new film of The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe. In part this makes up for what they lacked in technology. And much of the story is preserved, although I thought Prince Caspian and Voyage of the Dawn Treader should not have combined into one series-- there was too much shortening of the two books.

Larry W.
Larry W.
Wardrobian

Postby carol » February 5th, 2006, 9:44 am

carol
Wardrobian

Postby Edisonbaggins » February 5th, 2006, 4:40 pm

Edisonbaggins
Wardrobian

Postby wood-maid » February 5th, 2006, 6:34 pm

"Jill," said Tirian, "you are the bravest and most wood-wise of all my subjects, but also the most malapert and disobedient."
"By the Mane!" he whispered to Eustace. "This girl is a wondrous wood-maid. If she had Dryad's blood in her she could scarce do it better." - The Last Battle
wood-maid
Wardrobian

Postby j0n4th4n » February 5th, 2006, 9:22 pm

j0n4th4n
Wardrobian

Postby Messenger_of_Eden » February 5th, 2006, 11:13 pm

"If you believe what you like in the Gospel, and reject what you don't like, it is not the Gospel you believe, but yourself."--St. Augustine of Hippo
Messenger_of_Eden
Wardrobian

Next

Return to The Chronicles of Narnia