This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

White Witch

Please don't close the door behind you.

re: White Witch

Postby Esther » April 11th, 2006, 10:56 pm

Member of the 2456317 club
Esther
Wardrobian

Postby alecto » April 12th, 2006, 12:10 am

"Night Demon" is the correct translation of nightmare, and a nightmare, according to the version they don't tell children, is a demon who rapes a person while he/she is asleep. The Latin words for this kind of demon are incubus and succubus, though lamia is sometimes used too. So lilith may be the word for "nightmare" in the original sense. This gets both the sense of demon and sexual partner. Maybe the Medeival writers were trying to come up with a myth that explained why Lilith was both sexual and demonic, so they hit on the idea of a rebellious wife of Adam.
Sentio ergo est.
alecto
Wardrobian

Re: re: White Witch

Postby carol » April 12th, 2006, 10:31 am

carol
Wardrobian

Postby Theo » April 12th, 2006, 4:03 pm

Member of the Religious Tolerance Cabal of the Wardrobe

“First they came for Abdul Rahman and I spoke out because I was a Muslim. Then they came for the Palestinians and I raised hell because I was a Jew. Then they came for the Iraqis and I protested because I was an American. Then they came for the Muslims and I spoke out because I was a Christian, Then they came for the poor and I spoke out because I was rich. By the time they came for me, I had all the support a man could ask for.”
Theo
Wardrobian

Postby WalkingEagle » April 12th, 2006, 5:34 pm

C.S. Lewis just knew that the entire world has fallen down the rabbit hole. How deep? No one WANTS to know.
WalkingEagle
Wardrobian

Postby Theo » April 12th, 2006, 6:03 pm

As usual, there are some contradictions between the books.

In The Magician's Nephew, the people of Charn appear to have been human although it is mentioned that the royal family was believed to have some giant blood (which appears to account for Jadis' tremendous physical strength, a quality of hers far more prominent in TMN than in TLTWTW).
Member of the Religious Tolerance Cabal of the Wardrobe

“First they came for Abdul Rahman and I spoke out because I was a Muslim. Then they came for the Palestinians and I raised hell because I was a Jew. Then they came for the Iraqis and I protested because I was an American. Then they came for the Muslims and I spoke out because I was a Christian, Then they came for the poor and I spoke out because I was rich. By the time they came for me, I had all the support a man could ask for.”
Theo
Wardrobian

Postby Erekose » April 12th, 2006, 8:10 pm

I need to re-read CON especially LWW & MN....

Is the reference to "Giants Blood" actually made in MN by Jadis? or is it as I suspect a statement made by Mrs Beaver?
But whichever makes the comment, it would still probably be propaganda in one form or another.. An attempt to be intimidating by Jadis, and an attempt to be derogatory by Mrs Beaver.

Personally I would take the view that the inhabitants of Charn are actually Human descended (as per my heresy) BUT thats just my own view.

As to the character of the sister of Jadis, well we only have the word of Jadis as to what she was like.
Again its just part of my Grand Heresy, but I prefer to take the view that the sister was actually honourable and was fighting to try to save Charn. (I could expand on that, but I've already done so in my Grand Heresies.. so I won't)

:read: :idea: :grin:
Call yourself a dog???? I've seen better hair on a lavatory brush!!!
Erekose
Wardrobian

Postby Pete » April 13th, 2006, 4:10 am

Member of The 2456317 Club

Pete
Wardrobian

Postby nelsot5 » May 16th, 2006, 8:05 pm

nelsot5
Wardrobian

Previous