This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

Turkish influence?

Please don't close the door behind you.

Turkish influence?

Postby Deniz » May 5th, 2006, 5:07 am

I have just finished The Magician's Nephew and the Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe and just a few hours ago watched the movie. I could not help noticing several, almost too many, Turkish and Ottoman influences in everything I've witnessed so far.

-Turkish Delight (most obvious one)

-Aslan is Turkish for lion (also rather obvious)

-In the movie, the tents at Aslan's soldiers' camp great resemblence Ottoman and Turkish war tents (see http://womansworld05.atalink.co.uk/_inl ... /269-1.jpg)

-Peter is named "Peter the Magnificent" while Suleyman, a most powerful Ottoman sultan, was known as Suleyman the Magnificent.

-The image preceding The Horse and His Boy is largely Middle Eastern in style although I really can't effectively describe why or how it resembles it any further. I'm sure most of you understand this premise, however.

My real question is, did C.S. Lewis have some sort of Turkish or Ottoman background? Maybe spent some time there or studied it or whatnot. If not, why is this Turkish influence so prevalent throughout the series? I have only read the first two books, but I'm sure there are many other examples in the remainder of the series also. Has anyone else noticed these or other links to Turkey in the Chronicles of Narnia?
Deniz

re: Turkish influence?

Postby Leslie » May 5th, 2006, 12:03 pm

Lewis never visited Turkey. He probably read about it (he read about everything) but Ottoman history and/or culture was not his specialty.
"What are you laughing at?"
"At myself. My little puny self," said Phillipa.
--Rumer Godden, In This House of Brede
Leslie
Wardrobian

Postby David » May 5th, 2006, 12:38 pm

To Europeans, for many years, the Middle East represented what literary critics call Other. The world of Islam was a culture that was used to contrast with European culture. They had different religions, were (generally) racially different, and--this is the sticky part--had, as the Europeans understood it, different forms of government and systems of ethics. The Ottoman world was seen as crooked, decadent, tyrannical, oppressive, in opposition to the freer more democratic worlds of Europe.

So when Lewis (and Pauline Baynes) used such images, they were plugging into familiar cultural contrasts. Narnia is like Europe, Calormen is like Turkey.

There standard book on this is by a Christian Palestinian writer, the late Edward Said (pronounced sigh-ODD), called Orientalism.
The way, the weather, the terrain, the discipline, the leadership. --Sun Tzu
David
Wardrobian

Postby Theo » May 5th, 2006, 1:31 pm

Member of the Religious Tolerance Cabal of the Wardrobe

“First they came for Abdul Rahman and I spoke out because I was a Muslim. Then they came for the Palestinians and I raised hell because I was a Jew. Then they came for the Iraqis and I protested because I was an American. Then they came for the Muslims and I spoke out because I was a Christian, Then they came for the poor and I spoke out because I was rich. By the time they came for me, I had all the support a man could ask for.”
Theo
Wardrobian

Postby Deniz » May 5th, 2006, 2:47 pm

Deniz

Postby Leslie » May 5th, 2006, 11:13 pm

"What are you laughing at?"
"At myself. My little puny self," said Phillipa.
--Rumer Godden, In This House of Brede
Leslie
Wardrobian

Postby David » May 5th, 2006, 11:36 pm

Denzin--if you read The Horse and His Boy you'll find this kind of European/Turkish dichotomy very clearly. As for the Turkish influence, I'm not so sure. Certainly Peter is Peter the Magnificent, like Sulemon the Magnificent, but this could be purely coincidental and we might be better to read nothing into it.

As for the oriental or middle-eastern appearance of some of the items in Narnia, this would not be so much Lewis and Baynes. And the Europeans who fought the Muslims in Spain and the Middle East did pick up a lot of things from them--I'm sure they borrowed some of their designs for weapons and military structures. Baynes might have encountered these images in her research.

As for Aslan--well, I don't know. But I don't think Lewis' choice of that name suggests he wanted to make Narnia "Turkish." I think he just found a good-sounding name and stuck with it.
The way, the weather, the terrain, the discipline, the leadership. --Sun Tzu
David
Wardrobian

Postby Rosie Cotton » May 6th, 2006, 1:25 am

... and their joy was like swords, and they passed in thought out to regions where pain and delight flow together and tears are the very wine of blessedness.
Rosie Cotton
Wardrobian

Postby Deniz » May 6th, 2006, 3:49 am

Deniz

Re: re: Turkish influence?

Postby Theo » May 6th, 2006, 8:38 am

“First they came for Abdul Rahman and I spoke out because I was a Muslim. Then they came for the Palestinians and I raised hell because I was a Jew. Then they came for the Iraqis and I protested because I was an American. Then they came for the Muslims and I spoke out because I was a Christian, Then they came for the poor and I spoke out because I was rich. By the time they came for me, I had all the support a man could ask for.”
Theo
Wardrobian

Postby WolfVanZandt » May 6th, 2006, 8:46 pm

WolfVanZandt
Wardrobian

Postby carol » May 7th, 2006, 8:50 am

carol
Wardrobian

Re: re: Turkish influence?

Postby Theo » May 7th, 2006, 10:44 am

Theo
Wardrobian

Postby johnstevens » June 2nd, 2006, 5:11 pm

Hi,

This really is a very interesting topic, its one of the least explored areas of the books. Its actually shocking just how little research has gone into it.

Reading about the similarities listed by our friend in this post its actually added more to the list I had already made.

However, one aspect he missed was that one of the character's is called Caspian, now this name is known as "Khazar" or "Hazar" everywhere outside of England and refer's to the Caspian Sea.

Its a Turkish word and would have been just a coincidence but I feel its more as there are clear other links to a Turkish influence.

I'll list the other similarities I found later.

Regards
johnstevens

Postby Iris » June 10th, 2006, 4:27 am

I'm sorry...I know I'm bringing up an old topic, but my attention was caught when you were explaining what Turkish Delight was. You see, I'm half Armenian but I've never been there, and I don't even know much about it. It was my dad who was Armenian and I never met him. So I just thought that was cool. Maybe I'll look into that US company that makes it and I could try it. I always wondered what it was when I read The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe...although after watching Edmund stuff his face with the gooey stuff in the movie I'm not sure it sounds too appetizing. :undecided: [/quote]
Member of the 2456317 club. I got yelled at for explaining what this was, so if you want to know I guess you'll have to ask.

“Egotism is the anesthetic that dulls the pain of stupidity.”
Iris
Wardrobian

Next

Return to The Chronicles of Narnia