This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

anna popplewell is ______

Please don't close the door behind you.

Postby Guest » March 18th, 2007, 1:19 am

Postby David Jack » March 18th, 2007, 1:39 am

"This is and has been the Father’s work from the beginning-to bring us into the home of His heart.” George MacDonald.
David Jack
Wardrobian

Postby Guest » March 18th, 2007, 1:47 am

Postby David Jack » March 18th, 2007, 2:06 am

"This is and has been the Father’s work from the beginning-to bring us into the home of His heart.” George MacDonald.
David Jack
Wardrobian

Postby carol » March 20th, 2007, 7:44 pm

carol
Wardrobian

Postby Larry W. » March 20th, 2007, 8:05 pm

Edmund's treatment of Lucy at the beginning of LWW is considered cruel by the other children, especially. I noticed that the children will say "shut up" to each other (These were considered "naughty words" when I was a child-- my mother didn't like us to use them though we sometimes did.) Jill and Eustace were not always so polite to each other, but they were always friends. They even called each other "blithering idiots"-- something my parents would never have approved of us saying to each other. I think normal children were not always nice to each other-- even as long ago as the 1940's. There had to be some realism in the book or it wouldn't be believable. Of course Lewis could not have the children using obscene language, which probably was not as common then as it is now.

Larry W.
Larry W.
Wardrobian

Postby David Jack » March 21st, 2007, 4:03 am

David Jack
Wardrobian

Postby Pete » March 29th, 2007, 3:13 am

I must say in regard to the coat scene, I also saw it how Carol saw it. Not necessarily that Peter was being nasty to Edmund so much as Edmund was complaining and Peter was saying it doesn't matter. We never really saw how many coats were in the wardrobe, did we? For all we know, there may only have been the four of them and thus either Ed or Peter would have had to have worn the girl's coat which Ed wore. :idea:

Another thing about that - the purpose of the coat was not for fashion so much as it was to keep warm. If it was for fashion they would have taken a bit longer looking for the coats surely, rather than just wearing anyone. Where as Ed is focused on what it "looks like".
Member of The 2456317 Club

Pete
Wardrobian

Postby Larry W. » March 29th, 2007, 1:22 pm

One thing I have thought about-- Is Susan portrayed as better than she really is in the book? Anna Popplewell seemed to be the best person to play her, but does the film present her as being better or worse than "Susan the Gentle"? She is a bit suspicious of Mr. Beaver's intentions in the beginning "He's not supposed to be saying anything", she says about Beaver's talking (a line not in the book). The book has her making comments about wanting to go home because it's not very safe in Narnia. She does not say this in the movie, though it is clear that in the beginning she is afraid to be in Narnia. But she becomes the Gentle queen in spite of her faults. I really like the way the film brings out her good qualities, which is much better than the villain that some have made her out to be in referring to her straying in The Last Battle.

Larry W.
Larry W.
Wardrobian

Postby Pete » March 29th, 2007, 2:57 pm

She wasn't made into villain in LB, Larry, she was just distracted from what was really special - she'd let go of the love that she had for Aslan.

As for how Susan is portrayed in the movie, I feel it is very close to how she is presented in the book, and continues to be presented in the book of PC. Of course the lines she says are different (in most cases) in the film from in the book, but it still draws out her fear and also yes - suspicion also. I do indeed agree with you about Anna's performance of Susan, but at the same time, I think each of the other children captured the hearts of their characters also.

Pete
Wardrobian

Postby Larry W. » March 29th, 2007, 5:26 pm

Larry W.
Wardrobian

Postby Pete » March 30th, 2007, 1:36 pm

Pete
Wardrobian

Pippa Hall

Postby vsven » August 14th, 2007, 1:30 pm

vsven

Postby Sven » August 14th, 2007, 8:01 pm

Welcome, Sven!

You'd probably have more luck finding out this sort of thing over at www.narniaweb.com , they are more oriented towards the movies.
Rat! he found breath to whisper, shaking. Are you afraid?
Afraid? murmured the Rat, his eyes shining with unutterable love.
Afraid! Of Him? O, never, never! And yet -- and yet -- O, Mole, I am afraid!
Then the two animals, crouching to the earth, bowed their heads and did worship.
Sven

Pippa Hall

Postby vsven » August 14th, 2007, 9:26 pm

Thx mate! finding out...
vsven

PreviousNext

Return to The Chronicles of Narnia