This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

Narnia Cosmology

Please don't close the door behind you.

Narnia Cosmology

Postby David » May 18th, 2006, 2:56 pm

Wardrobians: I'm writing a Narnia story and need some help, especially on Narnian cosmology. I've found some information on Wikipedia but here are a couple of things. Does anyone know:

Does Narnia have one moon? Is it ever given a name or mentioned in the books?

What are the Narnian Constellations? I remember once Lucy referring to The Hammer--where is that passage found?

I know Narnia is flat with a dome over it. I know the stars are living creatures. Anything else unqiue or fascinating about its cosmology?

I should, I realize, go back and re-read the books but I've got too many projects going at the moment to do that (much as I would enjoy it).

All help is appreciated.
The way, the weather, the terrain, the discipline, the leadership. --Sun Tzu
David
Wardrobian

re: Narnia Cosmology

Postby wingedllama » May 18th, 2006, 3:05 pm

Narnian constellations....Lucy mentions the leopard I think (CAspian or Dawn Treader I forget)

Dr. Cornelius talks of some stars in his astronomy lesson to Caspian in PC. He seems to me to be referring to the Narnian version of Mars and Venus. Tarva the Lord of Victory and Alambil the Lady of Peace.

Narnia has one moon. I dont believe its named.
Member of the 2456317 Club
wingedllama
Wardrobian

Postby john » May 18th, 2006, 3:09 pm

john
Chief Wardrobian
john
Chief Wardrobian

Postby Sven » May 18th, 2006, 8:06 pm

Rat! he found breath to whisper, shaking. Are you afraid?
Afraid? murmured the Rat, his eyes shining with unutterable love.
Afraid! Of Him? O, never, never! And yet -- and yet -- O, Mole, I am afraid!
Then the two animals, crouching to the earth, bowed their heads and did worship.
Sven

Postby marymc » May 19th, 2006, 12:24 am

And the sun took the moon into it at the end of The Last Battle. I always assumed one sun and one moon.
--
Dude.
marymc

Postby Scott West » May 20th, 2006, 12:05 am

Scott West
Wardrobian

Postby David » May 20th, 2006, 3:07 am

Yes, it's called The Girl Who Ran to Narnia and its about two girls who have been enslaved and abused (my future universe is not a benign one--not like the Star Trek universe where all injustice and brutality are healed) and find the ruins of an advanced civilization with virtual reality programs. One is a Narnia program and they go there. The woman soldier who freed them goes after them and finds herself in Narnia and the two girls grown up. What to do now?

It's been loads of fun to have my characters interact with fauns, dwarves, talking beasts and marshmiggles. The story is coming along well. When it's finished I'll post it. Thanks for your interest.
David
Wardrobian

Postby David » May 20th, 2006, 3:08 am

I meant marshwiggles!
David
Wardrobian

Postby Theo » May 20th, 2006, 7:26 am

Member of the Religious Tolerance Cabal of the Wardrobe

“First they came for Abdul Rahman and I spoke out because I was a Muslim. Then they came for the Palestinians and I raised hell because I was a Jew. Then they came for the Iraqis and I protested because I was an American. Then they came for the Muslims and I spoke out because I was a Christian, Then they came for the poor and I spoke out because I was rich. By the time they came for me, I had all the support a man could ask for.”
Theo
Wardrobian

Postby Erekose » May 20th, 2006, 8:13 pm

Hmmm how about a Heretical view on what Narnian Astrometrics might be like?

/me is in a strange mood again.. you have been warned

First up.. all current conceptions must be thrown out.. expaniding Universe, Bing Bang, background Radiation etc..

The sky in narnia has been likened to a Dome.. okay why not.. Since narnbia is "flat", why not a Dome as a counterpoint to what was once considered to be "Celestial Spheres"

Is there any reference to the stars/constellations rising and setting? I think not... of course this may be just an ommision of fact, but then we have to go with what we have.

A Dome is not something that can reveolve in a manner to create rising and setting attributes, so now we have the concept of stars being fixed in their relative positions in the sky to the horizon (first approximation.. to be ammended slightly later)

Sun and Moon still riose and set, and so move independent of the Dome. Perhaps travelling back from West to East by way of the UnderEarth domain. (can't remember what they called themselves)

So, as a visual description...

Night sky, stars in position. Then as the dawn breaks, the sky in the East brightens, the blackness of the night sky turning to blue, the dimmer stars fading, then the brighter ones.
As the Sun starts to rise, the brightness moves across the sky, slowley drowing out the stars in the bl;ueness of the sky.
As evening falles, the East starts to dim, and slowley the sky blackens, revealling the stars in their original positions still.

Until the Sun sets completely, and the night sky is restored.

BUT.. "What of the Planets?" I hear you cry!

They would be like the Sun and the Moon, travelling on the underside of the Dome, making a slower progression, until returning by way of the Underworld regions.

"But what of your ammendment to the stars being stationary?" I now hear you cry

Well.. the stars are alive. So maybe over time they move amongst themselves.. akin to our "proper motions" of the stars when perceived over thousands of years, but in Narnias case faster. NOT movement visible to the naked eye, else why bother with named constellations? But maybe over centuries.
And of course the more sedate/older/wiser (take your pick) stars may not move much att all, being content to listen to the gossip of the more mobile younger/restless stars.
This would mean that certain constellations would hold "true" over many many many generations, whilst other constellations would be viewed as being almost temporary aspects of the night sky.

/me wonders why the idea of the physical nature of the Reality of Narnia hadn't featured in his Heresies before.

/me says "doh!" to himself, as he remembers.. his Heresies are often sparked by questions raised by others.
Call yourself a dog???? I've seen better hair on a lavatory brush!!!
Erekose
Wardrobian

Re: Narnia Cosmology

Postby Paul F. Ford » May 21st, 2006, 12:22 am

Paul Ford—self-appointed president of the "245-3617 Club" and proud member of the "245-6317 Club"; author of the Companion to Narnia and the Pocket Companion to Narnia.
Paul F. Ford
Wardrobian

Postby Larry W. » May 21st, 2006, 1:25 am

And let's not forget Ramandu, the retired star who lived on the island in Voyage of the Dawn Treader, who grew a little younger each day until he could once more "tread the Great Dance". Coriakin had a similar career until he made a mistake, and Aslan required him to leave the skies to become a magician on another island. I wonder if any scientists such as the late Carl Sagan would have had any problem with stars being people as they were in Narnia. I don't know if he ever read C. S. Lewis-- Narnian astromony is not quite so scientific as his Cosmos book and TV series. Incidently, I recently purchased the DVD set of Sagan's programs and look forward to viewing them. I think Sagan was about as fascinating as Lewis. :)

Larry W.
Larry W.
Wardrobian

Postby Pam » June 21st, 2006, 4:59 pm

In VDT, Coriakin (the magician who governed the island of the Monopods) was a star who was being punished for something.[/i]
Pam

Return to The Chronicles of Narnia