This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

SOMEBODY EXPLAIN PLEASE!!!

Please don't close the door behind you.

SOMEBODY EXPLAIN PLEASE!!!

Postby sk8rboi56 » June 19th, 2006, 10:12 pm

Why is the copyright date for "The Magician's Nephew" after the "The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe"?? I doesn't makes sense considering The White Witch, Jadis is killed off in The Lion The Witch and The Wardrobe, but is still in The Magician's Nephew. And Yet again The Magician's Nephew is first in the series, which it should be, but I'm SO CONFUSED!!
"It's always winter in Narnia, but never Christmas"
sk8rboi56

re: SOMEBODY EXPLAIN PLEASE!!!

Postby Sven » June 19th, 2006, 10:16 pm

Welcome, skater boy!

If you click on the button above marked 'faq', you'll find that very question anwered. If you'd like more detail, look thru the various threads in this forum, it's discussed fairly often.
Rat! he found breath to whisper, shaking. Are you afraid?
Afraid? murmured the Rat, his eyes shining with unutterable love.
Afraid! Of Him? O, never, never! And yet -- and yet -- O, Mole, I am afraid!
Then the two animals, crouching to the earth, bowed their heads and did worship.
Sven

Re: SOMEBODY EXPLAIN PLEASE!!!

Postby A#minor » June 19th, 2006, 10:31 pm

"My brain and this world don't fit each other, and there's an end of it!" - G.K. Chesterton
A#minor
Wardrobian

Postby Larry W. » June 19th, 2006, 11:06 pm

Harper-Collins did it with my set-- it's numbered chronologically. I remember reading that C. S. Lewis recommended that order to someone, although many people prefer the publication order. At least my set is seven good hardcover books printed on quality paper. The little Macmillan paperbacks I had before had cut-down illustrations and paper that turned yellow after only ten years. I gave those away and haven't missed them since I acquired the better hardcover set. I think what the books are made of is more important than the reading order.

Larry W.
Larry W.
Wardrobian

Postby rusmeister » June 20th, 2006, 1:13 am

Yeah, my mom sent me a single volume (of the 7 books) in chronological order (UGGGH!)
Still want a seven-volume publication order set, preferably with covers by Pauline Baynes.

btw, could you please not shout unless it's REALLY REALLY IMPORTANT?
"Eh? Two views? There are a dozen views about everything until you know the answer. Then there's never more than one."
Bill "The Blizzard" Hingest - That Hideous Strength
rusmeister
Wardrobian

Postby Scott West » June 20th, 2006, 2:26 am

Scott West
Wardrobian

Postby Pete » June 20th, 2006, 2:37 am

Have you noticed how Darth Vader goes from dying to being a child in the Star Wars movies (in the order they were released)? The same sort of phenomon. :wink: Only difference is - they ended up numbering that series chronologically...

Skaterboy, you'll notice if you read the books in the publication order, more of the mystery will be there. :read:
Member of The 2456317 Club

Pete
Wardrobian

Postby Messenger_of_Eden » June 20th, 2006, 2:41 am

Agreed. It is the order I was raised on, and far more delightful than the Chronological order. Where is the fun in knowing all the mysteries beforehand?
"If you believe what you like in the Gospel, and reject what you don't like, it is not the Gospel you believe, but yourself."--St. Augustine of Hippo
Messenger_of_Eden
Wardrobian

Postby WolfVanZandt » June 20th, 2006, 4:45 am

Lewis makes a rather large issue of emphasizing the timelessness of God and His works in most of his writings. "Messing with time" is a very effective strategy for de-emphsizing it's effects in a narrative.

The Bible itself does that. Odd statements such as identifying Jesus as the lamb that was slain before the foundations of the world, sound weird but may be more accurate than we realize.

I like the published order. I'm glad the course I'm taking discusses them in that order. If it doesn't make temporal sense, to me, it makes much more poetic sense. I suspect it makes more sense from a "God's eye view."

BTW, have any of you ever read anything about the shift from "God's view" to worldly view in the arts from the Medieval to the Rennaissance periods?
WolfVanZandt
Wardrobian

...and to weaken and answer your question...

Postby carol » June 20th, 2006, 6:56 am

...The Magician's Nephew was written several years after The Lion The
Witch & The Wardrobe. It's a prequel.

(In case you didn't understand the slightly subtle posts)
carol
Wardrobian

Postby Puddleglee » June 20th, 2006, 9:39 am

'Ridden a wha-ha-ha-hat!' - Bree

Member of the 2456317Club!
Puddleglee
Wardrobian

Postby john » June 20th, 2006, 10:26 am

john
Chief Wardrobian
john
Chief Wardrobian

Postby A#minor » June 20th, 2006, 1:34 pm

"My brain and this world don't fit each other, and there's an end of it!" - G.K. Chesterton
A#minor
Wardrobian

Re: re: SOMEBODY EXPLAIN PLEASE!!!

Postby Monica » June 20th, 2006, 3:46 pm

Monica
Wardrobian

Re: re: SOMEBODY EXPLAIN PLEASE!!!

Postby Monica » June 20th, 2006, 3:51 pm

Monica
Wardrobian

Next

Return to The Chronicles of Narnia