This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

Eternal winter

Please don't close the door behind you.

re: Eternal winter

Postby King Edmund » June 22nd, 2006, 10:22 pm

Without my friends or cousins, I don't make sense. Life would be somewhere not worth my time.

Member of The 2456317 Club
King Edmund
Wardrobian

Postby carol » June 26th, 2006, 10:24 am

We discussed this ages back, and perhaps the comment that stuck in my head was that winter is a time when there is no growth, and little life. The White Witch was fighting against the Life and growth that Aslan had put into Narnia at its creation. She was unable to make anything, just to mar it.
carol
Wardrobian

Postby Sunny » June 26th, 2006, 6:36 pm

Run the Earth. Watch the Sky.
Sunny

Re: re: Eternal winter

Postby King Edmund » June 26th, 2006, 11:37 pm

Without my friends or cousins, I don't make sense. Life would be somewhere not worth my time.

King Edmund
Wardrobian

Postby carol » June 27th, 2006, 7:11 am

I liked the thought (liked? it wasn't nice really) - but I don't think it was I who thought of it.
carol
Wardrobian

Postby King Edmund » June 27th, 2006, 8:48 pm

I knew that. :grin:

King Edmund
Wardrobian

Re: re: Eternal winter

Postby David » June 27th, 2006, 10:20 pm

The way, the weather, the terrain, the discipline, the leadership. --Sun Tzu
David
Wardrobian

Postby VixenMage » June 27th, 2006, 11:20 pm

[quote]Their chastity represents a response to God. The sterility of Filastrato, Straik, and Fairy Hardcastle is the evil mirror image of this.
quote]

I'd always thought Fairy Hardcastle had something a bit more sinister than just resistance to love. She seemed more along the lines of corruption of love. Perhaps it's the same thing, though. But it seemed like she was generally... I hesitate to say this, being utterly divided on this point... but she embodied lesbians, and Lewis felt that homosexuality was a corruption of love-- he does say as much, I think, in Mere Christianity. Now, agree or not that homosexuality is just corrupted love, Fairy Hardcastle still would seem the same if she was hetero. She doesn't love anyone, she merely uses them for her own purposes. I think it's implied that she sexually abuses the prisoners taken, or at least really enjoys torturing them... Wither says something to that effect when she has to let Jane go. But then again, maybe I'm just nitpicking. :wink:
"The only thing I know for certain is that I know nothing for certain."
VixenMage
Wardrobian

Postby David » June 27th, 2006, 11:54 pm

We did talk about Fairy on another posting, I think, and thoroughly dissected her lesbianism/sadism and argued about all issues related to this. I think it was a discussion called Fairy Hardcastle, but I'm not sure.
The way, the weather, the terrain, the discipline, the leadership. --Sun Tzu
David
Wardrobian

Postby Unicornguy » July 18th, 2006, 7:30 pm

Oh, I really appreciate all your answers. =D

And you`ve made me even more desperate to get hand of "That hideous strength" (I`ve read "Out of the Silent Planet" three times, and "Perelandra" two).
Unicornguy
Wardrobian

Postby Frances » July 19th, 2006, 12:16 am

Whiteness isn't always a symbol of purity; sometimes it represents evil. Think about Moby Dick. My favorite chapter, "The Whiteness of the Whale," gives all sorts of examples of whiteness representing evil: whited sepulchres, etc.

Though one reason I disliked all my (very few) English classes was just that kind of over-analyzing of every detail. I agree--people can go overboard with it.
Frances

Previous

Return to The Chronicles of Narnia