This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

New extended release of LWW??

Please don't close the door behind you.

Should they release an extended version of Lion, Witch & Wardrobe?

YES!!! YES!!! YES!!!! YES!!!
59%
It could be cool, but I have already bought my DVD so I could live without it.
21%
I don't think they should--let's focus our efforts on Prince Caspian and leave LWW as it is.
21%

Total votes : 29

Postby rusmeister » December 16th, 2006, 4:48 am

"Eh? Two views? There are a dozen views about everything until you know the answer. Then there's never more than one."
Bill "The Blizzard" Hingest - That Hideous Strength
rusmeister
Wardrobian

Postby Pete » December 16th, 2006, 1:11 pm

Ahh, I think it's an understandable error, rusmeister. On the issue of political correctness in the the Narnia movies though...my own opinion is I don't think we Lewis fans who hold them dear have much to fear on that front. To be truly fairly faithful to the books that would mean taking their seemingly politically correct and politically incorrect parts and not shying too much away from either. I think the only real concern on that front was the line in LWW about the Deeper Magic from Before the Dawn of Time becoming in the movie a different interpretation of the Deep Magic, but apart from that one, I doubt we'll see much dabbling with those central elements that define Narnia.

As with my previous post in this thread - hope it makes sense, it's after midnight here, in case it doesn't...
Member of The 2456317 Club

Pete
Wardrobian

Postby nomad » December 16th, 2006, 4:49 pm

Nothing to fear from political correctness? Oh, just wait till they have to introduce the Calormenes!

I'd forgotten about the Deep Magic line being messed with. Hopefully I'll be getting the dvd for Christmas, but in the mean time, someone want to remind me what it became?
member of the 2456317 club
"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best -- " and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called.
nomad
Wardrobian

Postby rusmeister » December 16th, 2006, 6:44 pm

Well, I found the censoring of Father Christmas's line (Battles are ugly affairs...) to be fairly blatant. That to me is archetypal of censoring because many people disagree with Lewis's views today, on the assumption that today's views are more enlightened.

If you're going to talk PC in PC, not sure - maybe Dr Cornelius gets rubbed? In any event, it is good to know that PC is an expression of pluralism, as I said in yesterday's post. The reason it seemed to explode from grassroots everywhere over the 70's 80's and 90's was because it was deliberately taught as an ideology in public schools. I dread the changes in the upcoming film...
"Eh? Two views? There are a dozen views about everything until you know the answer. Then there's never more than one."
rusmeister
Wardrobian

Postby Pete » December 17th, 2006, 4:10 am

Pete
Wardrobian

Postby nomad » December 17th, 2006, 5:13 am

"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best -- " and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called.
nomad
Wardrobian

Postby Pete » December 17th, 2006, 6:45 am

Pete
Wardrobian

Postby rusmeister » December 18th, 2006, 9:43 am

rusmeister
Wardrobian

Postby Pete » December 18th, 2006, 11:15 am

Pete
Wardrobian

Postby rusmeister » December 18th, 2006, 5:08 pm

rusmeister
Wardrobian

Postby nomad » December 18th, 2006, 11:32 pm

Pete, I'm not saying it can't be done. But it will require a degree of sensitivity both to the original work and to the current situation. I'm a liberal arts student at one of our esteemed centers of higher learning, and we are litterally being trained to see colonial attitudes and racism in every depiction of anything non-western by a western artist, thinker, or person of any sort. So the simple fact the Calormenes look 'eastern' will draw a barrage of intellectual, ignorant criticism. And unfortunately this way of thinking has gained enough popular hold that semi-intellectuals will see it that way too. It's going to be a ticklish issue to deal with and there is no use denying that. You can't just say, "the heck with what the audience thinks." A film (any art, really) is made for an audience. And the general audience of today has been over-sensitized to such issues. They won't see Lewis' respect for eastern mythology. They'll only see "arogant WASP attitudes". Like my professors and fellow students.
nomad
Wardrobian

Postby Esther » December 19th, 2006, 1:57 am

Member of the 2456317 club
Esther
Wardrobian

Postby Pete » December 19th, 2006, 2:20 am

Pete
Wardrobian

Postby Pete » December 19th, 2006, 2:36 am

Pete
Wardrobian

Postby rusmeister » December 19th, 2006, 3:02 am

rusmeister
Wardrobian

PreviousNext

Return to The Chronicles of Narnia