This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

Christian Symbolism in the Chronicles of Narnia

Please don't close the door behind you.

Postby Behind the Veil » December 5th, 2006, 2:15 am

Behind the Veil
Wardrobian

Postby matdonna » December 6th, 2006, 12:01 am

matdonna
Wardrobian

Postby Fea_Istra » December 6th, 2006, 4:24 am

Fea_Istra
Wardrobian

Postby nomad » December 8th, 2006, 11:34 pm

member of the 2456317 club
"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best -- " and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called.
nomad
Wardrobian

Postby Fea_Istra » December 9th, 2006, 2:07 am

"Where, except in uncreated light, can the darkness be drowned?" ~CS Lewis
Fea_Istra
Wardrobian

Postby nomad » December 9th, 2006, 3:02 am

That's interesting, fae. I pretty much only write (fiction) when the conscious thoughts touch deep and I can't quite put them into "explanation" terms. It's like they require pictures/story/myth to find adequate expression.
member of the 2456317 club
"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best -- " and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called.
nomad
Wardrobian

Postby Puddleglee » January 4th, 2007, 12:25 pm

'Ridden a wha-ha-ha-hat!' - Bree

Member of the 2456317Club!
Puddleglee
Wardrobian

Postby Jill Pole » January 7th, 2007, 6:13 am

"Once a king or queen in Narnia, always a king or queen in Narnia."

The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe

My blog:
http://www.ahighcalling.blogspot.com
Jill Pole
Wardrobian

Postby ArdenZ » January 8th, 2007, 8:36 pm

I may be somewhat of a heretic, but I, unlike most others, see Jadis as sin and mainly its consequences rather than Satan himself. Digory awakened her by ringing the bell and he unintentionally brings her to Narnia where she flees to the north for a season. Digory didn't awaken the devil, but he awaked sin. Also in LWW, Aslan kills her. In our world, the devil wasn't destroyed after Christ's death. The total eternal consequence of sin was. Satan will be banished for 1,000 years, and then sent to the lake of fire at the end of time. I thought for a while that Tash was the devil (which, in LB, it is most likely), but there is no eternal punishment on (him) at the end. Peter just commands that he leave. Hmm... maybe I'm looking too deeply into this. :rolleyes:
"The master of that servant will come on the day when he is not looking for him, and at an hour that he is not aware of."
Matthew 24:50
ArdenZ
Wardrobian

Postby Pete » January 10th, 2007, 8:19 am

Interesting ideas, Arden. As for Tash being punished - how do you know he doesn't get punished after the book ends? After all...there's a lot of things that take place in between these stories and before and after so...keep pondering. As for the White Witch being Sin rather than Satan, I think both readings have merrit...but I would advise - don't read too much into what these characters "represent", after all these books are not allegories. I think the key point to take from them is not so much whether they represent Satan or Sin or whatever...but that they are enemies of Aslan, and Aslan is victorious over them all. :pleased:
Member of The 2456317 Club

Pete
Wardrobian

Baptism Again

Postby mpj334 » March 10th, 2007, 1:37 pm

I've recently been inspired to re-read CoN. I used to read them every summer, but think now that I've developed part of my own theology (and critical reading skills) I should give it another shot. What's inspired me is seeking Shadowlands in my Comp II class.

When Lewis is describing the entrance into Narnia from LLW (and people are trying to analyze the purpose of the fur coats), I couldn't help but think, "That's baptism." His description of a suffocating, a scary thought of not knowing called to mind Richard Giles's view of Baptism as something that is scary, something from which one could die. Through this initiation the children are brought through the scary part into a brand new life.

Although Eustace's cleansing is certainly way closer as that it involves water, I think that I'm going to go back through and look for more stuff.
mpj334

Postby matdonna » March 10th, 2007, 8:26 pm

I'm not sure about the wardrobe as a symbol for baptism, but you will remember that in The Magicians' Nephew there are pools of water in the Wood between the Worlds...there are also many, many water references in the Chronicles. As you mentioned, Eustace's transformation in DT stands out, but there is also a great deal about water in The Silver Chair. I have an article about it here if you are interested:

matdonna
Wardrobian

Postby CoinOperatedChristian » March 13th, 2007, 10:12 pm

The Wardrobe as font seems ever so clear to me. But then I hold a high view of Baptism, (In line with the historic Christian faith and practice, and less in line with the much later perspectives introduced during the Anabaptist movement) and so view the whole of our Christian identity through the miracle of water and the Word. It is so central to my experience that I often look for it and find the sacrament of baptism at the heart of all good stories. (My favorite is “Lilo and Stitch” where you will find it all over the place)
Just like in the ancient churches where the font was set into the entryway to remind the membership that it is through baptism that we enter into the fellowship of the communion of saints, so the wardrobe is the entry into Narnia. The fur coats they wear further cements this for me since it seems clear that their identitfy them with the Talking Animals.
CoinOperatedChristian
Wardrobian

Postby Stanley Anderson » March 13th, 2007, 10:37 pm

…on a night of rain Frodo smelled a sweet fragrance on the air and heard the sound of singing that came over the water. And then it seemed to him that as in his dream in the house of Bombadil, the grey rain-curtain turned all to silver glass and was rolled back, and he beheld white shores and beyond them a fair green country under a swift sunrise.
Stanley Anderson
Wardrobian

Postby rusmeister » March 14th, 2007, 1:43 am

I don't think much of Baptism imagery if no real change in the person is affected. In VDT, the Lion presides and performs the 'Baptism' (priest), and Eustace the dragon is really and deeply changed. THAT is a symbol of Baptism. It is possible to read too much into books/film/etc. A person simply being splashed with water by a car and laughing would hardly be symbolic of Baptism.
"Eh? Two views? There are a dozen views about everything until you know the answer. Then there's never more than one."
Bill "The Blizzard" Hingest - That Hideous Strength
rusmeister
Wardrobian

PreviousNext

Return to The Chronicles of Narnia