This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

The not-so-nutty Professor

Please don't close the door behind you.

The not-so-nutty Professor

Postby Messenger_of_Eden » July 15th, 2006, 6:25 am

I just re-watched The Lion, the Witch, and the wardrobe yesterday for the first time in a long while. You know each time I watch/read it, something different stays with me for a while. This time, it is the Professor. I really loved the portrayal Professor Kirke--the more I see that movie, the more I love him. He has that knowing twinkle in his eye, that unspoken curl of secrecy in his mouth. I know some did not like his performance, but I think he did excellently. I want to see more of him! After all, he was the first human in Narnia!

His story is bittersweet, as he was never brought back, except at the end of all things. Clearly he longed for it, and never stopped believing in it, and his love for Aslan never waned, though he had only but briefly met him. Though he was considered responsible for bringing Jadis into that world, Aslan forgave him and changed him forever. You can still see it in his eyes, all these years later, as he hears the children talking about the Wardrobe. I hardly know how he could contain himself. I don't think I could!

I heard a suggestion by someone that part of The Voyage of the Dawn Treader should include "footage" of Peter studying with the Professor. I would love this. Naturally such an idea would only vaguely follow the storyline, detailing something that was only very briefly narrated, but I think it would be a wonderful thing, to draw the Professor into the story more, show the un-narniated audiences how he relates to it--that he's not just some old man with a really big house.

I've always had a soft spot in my heart for Digory/the professor.
"If you believe what you like in the Gospel, and reject what you don't like, it is not the Gospel you believe, but yourself."--St. Augustine of Hippo
Messenger_of_Eden
Wardrobian

re: The not-so-nutty Professor

Postby Ticket2theMoon » July 15th, 2006, 6:36 am

I agree, he's an old dear, as Susan says. Did you notice that in the movie he gets his pipe tobacco out of a silver apple?
===========================================================================================

It is with words as with sunbeams, the more they are condensed, the deeper they burn. --Robert Southey (1774-1843)

Ticket2theMoon
Wardrobian

Postby Messenger_of_Eden » July 15th, 2006, 7:17 am

"If you believe what you like in the Gospel, and reject what you don't like, it is not the Gospel you believe, but yourself."--St. Augustine of Hippo
Messenger_of_Eden
Wardrobian

Postby Iris » July 15th, 2006, 7:37 am

Member of the 2456317 club. I got yelled at for explaining what this was, so if you want to know I guess you'll have to ask.

“Egotism is the anesthetic that dulls the pain of stupidity.”
Iris
Wardrobian

Re: re: The not-so-nutty Professor

Postby Monica » July 15th, 2006, 12:24 pm

Monica
Wardrobian

Postby Messenger_of_Eden » July 15th, 2006, 2:01 pm

Messenger_of_Eden
Wardrobian

Postby Marcus_P_Hagen » July 15th, 2006, 5:31 pm

Marcus_P_Hagen
Wardrobian

Postby WolfVanZandt » July 16th, 2006, 2:53 am

Aye, the makers of the movie were very cognizant of Digory's place in the story. The commentaries on the Deluxe set go into it much more. They also remade the wardrobe (the one in the movie is very different than the way it's described in the book). The lack of a mirror was a technical expedient to avoid catching reflections of camera crews and such. But the carving tell the story of The Magician's Nephew. Even if you can't see them well enough to make sense of them, they're there.
WolfVanZandt
Wardrobian

Postby Lady Rebecca » July 16th, 2006, 6:21 am

I love Diggory too! When Edmund betrays Lucy, and she goes running down the hall crying...and knocks right into the Professor...the look of compassion he gives her is so kind. I would have acted just as Lucy did in her place.
"Well, you know how it feels if you begin hoping for something that you want desperately badly; you almost fight against the hope because it is too good to be true; you've been disappointed so often before. But it was no good trying to throttle this hope. It might - really, really, it just might be true. So many odd things had happened already." - from the magician's nephew

Member 2456317 Club
Lady Rebecca
Wardrobian

Postby Puddleglee » July 17th, 2006, 10:01 am

'Ridden a wha-ha-ha-hat!' - Bree

Member of the 2456317Club!
Puddleglee
Wardrobian

Postby Stanley Anderson » July 17th, 2006, 10:11 am

…on a night of rain Frodo smelled a sweet fragrance on the air and heard the sound of singing that came over the water. And then it seemed to him that as in his dream in the house of Bombadil, the grey rain-curtain turned all to silver glass and was rolled back, and he beheld white shores and beyond them a fair green country under a swift sunrise.
Stanley Anderson
Wardrobian

Postby Theo » July 18th, 2006, 11:29 am

Member of the Religious Tolerance Cabal of the Wardrobe

“First they came for Abdul Rahman and I spoke out because I was a Muslim. Then they came for the Palestinians and I raised hell because I was a Jew. Then they came for the Iraqis and I protested because I was an American. Then they came for the Muslims and I spoke out because I was a Christian, Then they came for the poor and I spoke out because I was rich. By the time they came for me, I had all the support a man could ask for.”
Theo
Wardrobian

Postby robsia » July 18th, 2006, 12:28 pm

robsia
Wardrobian

Postby Stanley Anderson » July 18th, 2006, 3:18 pm

…on a night of rain Frodo smelled a sweet fragrance on the air and heard the sound of singing that came over the water. And then it seemed to him that as in his dream in the house of Bombadil, the grey rain-curtain turned all to silver glass and was rolled back, and he beheld white shores and beyond them a fair green country under a swift sunrise.
Stanley Anderson
Wardrobian

Postby Ticket2theMoon » July 19th, 2006, 6:03 pm

===========================================================================================

It is with words as with sunbeams, the more they are condensed, the deeper they burn. --Robert Southey (1774-1843)

Ticket2theMoon
Wardrobian

Next

Return to The Chronicles of Narnia