This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

Susan gets back to Narnia after all...

Please don't close the door behind you.

Re: re: Susan gets back to Narnia after all...

Postby Tharkun » October 4th, 2006, 8:00 pm

Tharkun
Wardrobian

re: Susan gets back to Narnia after all...

Postby Erekose » October 4th, 2006, 8:07 pm

Call yourself a dog???? I've seen better hair on a lavatory brush!!!
Erekose
Wardrobian

Postby Tharkun » October 5th, 2006, 12:46 pm

Yes, of course 1 and 2 are obvious (Peter and Edmund were not even on the train).
But Susan dose not necessarily go through the effects. My analysis showed that part of her wants to, but part of her wants to just put it away and forget about her former life. In the end it comes down to an act of the will. (I know, I know, but then I never was much of a Calvinist).
And don’t worry; I included interaction with a certain furry creature
:wink:
Tharkun
Wardrobian

Postby Erekose » October 5th, 2006, 1:27 pm

Erekose
Wardrobian

Re: re: Susan gets back to Narnia after all...

Postby Tharkun » October 6th, 2006, 11:39 am

Tharkun
Wardrobian

Postby Erekose » October 6th, 2006, 6:41 pm

Erekose
Wardrobian

Postby Tharkun » October 7th, 2006, 12:35 pm

I know what you mean about windows of opportunity, how did Forest Gump put it, life is like a wood between the worlds, or something like that.
Any who, I do not think it is particularly likely that Susan opens the box. Since it contains the effects of her dead parents and siblings it could be difficult possibly even painful to go through. Not to mention that it represents a part of her life she apparently already wants to put behind her. Indeed Susan opening the box, though perhaps not a sine of full repentance, is at least an indication that there is a spark of the real Susan left, one that she could chose to extinguish if she wanted to.
Oh, and Aslan did not tell Digory to destroy the rings (he must be thinking of Gandalf, very similar to Aslan in most respects.) Aslan in fact told Digory to bury the rings so that no one could use them again, which he did not do either. So its Digory 0 Frodo, well we have to give him an A for effort any way. :clap:
Tharkun
Wardrobian

Postby Erekose » October 7th, 2006, 8:42 pm

Erekose
Wardrobian

Postby Tharkun » October 9th, 2006, 1:32 am

If once you start down the dark path forever will it dominate your destiny, consume you it will (cough) sorry wrong mythology. But really, there is no reason to suppose that if Susan chose the wrong path initially that she would necessarily repent. She might, but I do not think it to be particularly likely. If she did not make the right choice initially, then I think she would probably just stash the box on a shelf in, oh say a wardrobe or such and then pretty much forget about it. She would be moving on with her life and filling it with other things. Then years later a young girl stumbles across it while playing hide and seek, etc, etc. It is an interesting line, but I preferred to stick with Susan.
And I am afraid I find this whole letter thing to be fairly bizarre (rather out of left field)
:wink:
Tharkun
Wardrobian

Postby Erekose » October 9th, 2006, 7:09 pm

Erekose
Wardrobian

Postby Tharkun » October 10th, 2006, 11:57 pm

As I said, I am not much of a Calvinist. I think that Susan’s path would be a freewill choice and she could choose either one.
But I am afraid your letter thesis has a few problems. First if Professor Kirke or the others were thinking logically, then they would not have been engaging in the folly, which they were pursuing.
Aslan did not tell the Pevensies that they could not return to Narnia but simply that they would not return. It seems clear from Eustace’s words to Tirian that they understood this and were not planning on leaving our world (why go to the wood if you are not going to Narnia?) so there would be no need to send a letter to their parents or sibling.
The only ban Digory and Polly were under (that we know of) was not to use the rings again, which they were not following anyway, so perhaps they were planning on accompanying Eustace and Jill. But still why leave a to whom it may concern letter when the three people most likely to care already knew what was going on?
Now Eustace and Jill had been told on their last visit that the next time they came it would be to stay. So it is reasonable that they would have put their affairs in order. But any letters they might have sent to Mr. And Mrs. Scrub or Mr. And Mrs. Poll would almost certainly have not contained any relevant information about the rings. And would not have come into Susan’s possession anyway.
Tharkun
Wardrobian

Postby Erekose » October 11th, 2006, 7:12 pm

Erekose
Wardrobian

Postby Tharkun » October 13th, 2006, 12:48 am

Tharkun
Wardrobian

Postby Erekose » October 13th, 2006, 7:28 pm

Erekose
Wardrobian

Postby carol » October 14th, 2006, 5:20 am

Last edited by carol on December 6th, 2006, 10:02 am, edited 2 times in total.
carol
Wardrobian

PreviousNext

Return to The Chronicles of Narnia