This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

Susan gets back to Narnia after all...

Please don't close the door behind you.

Susan gets back to Narnia after all...

Postby Stanley Anderson » 21 Jul 2006, 22:12

At the estate sale of the professor's manor, Susan runs her finger along the edge of the door of the old Wardrobe. "Those silly stories we told each other," she thinks, "the professor said he didn't think we'd get back into Narnia through the wardrobe again -- I wonder...."

Susan pulls the door open and glances around to see if anyone is looking in her direction. Satisfied that she will not appear foolish to any outsiders, she pulls the door open and pokes her head in. "Gee, it's dark inside here," she thinks as she leans further in. Suddenly she loses her balance and puts out her hands to steady herself on the back wall of the wardrobe, but they find nothing and she tumbles full on into the wardrobe. As she falls forward, the calf of her leg hits the edge of the wardrobe door and the her nylons snag the corner drawing it shut after her. She gives a short yelp, but it is muffled by the closing of the door and no one at the sale notices that anything has happened.

Inside the wardrobe, Susan's hands and knees had land on what seems like long-dry barren dirt. She stands up and presses forward into the darkness. But now she can see that there is a dim light illuminating the landscape. She begins to recognize the lay of the hills around her as similar to the landscape she had seen many years ago in her first encounter with Narnia -- except that now there are no trees, no grass, nothing living, only miles of dirt and sand stretching out before her.

Before is her dim shadow on the ground and she realizes the light must be coming from behind her where the wardrobe opening should be. She turns around, expecting to see the opening leading back into the manor room, but instead she sees a huge bird-like creature glowing with pale yellowish-green light, its head turned to one side and staring at her with its unblinking eye. Before she can think to wonder what the rancid smell could mean that seems to come from the creature, it spreads its wings, opens its beak and pounces in her direction, closing its beak around her...
--------------------------------------------

Ok, ok. That is probably the sort of thing people who hate reading about Susan at the end of The Last Battle imagine Lewis was implying by telling the reader she was no longer a friend of Narnia -- ie, that she was lost for good. But of course we know from Lewis' letters that she was not necessarily resigned to that fate, only that she had backslid and that we don't know what eventually happened to her. And that there was still hope for her.

So. I thought we could post ideas of what sorts of things we can imagine happened to her. Oh, of course there is the familiar old maudlin story that everyone imagines in their heads about a reminiscing and sorrowful woman eventually repenting in tears and finally coming back to the "faith" through whatever series of unfortunate events. (As I've often mentioned here, I like to think of Jane in That Hideous Strength as the best example of an "unexpected" Lewisian sort of path a person like Susan might take, but recently, I humorously suggested that instead she "comes back" in THS as Fairy Hardcastle!:-).

But let's use our imagination and come up with something equally unexpected. It might be humorous, serious, light, heavy, a short one-liner, or a bit longer description (but keep it to, say, less than 400 words at most), anything really. Surprise us.

--Stanley
…on a night of rain Frodo smelled a sweet fragrance on the air and heard the sound of singing that came over the water. And then it seemed to him that as in his dream in the house of Bombadil, the grey rain-curtain turned all to silver glass and was rolled back, and he beheld white shores and beyond them a fair green country under a swift sunrise.
Stanley Anderson
Wardrobian

re: Susan gets back to Narnia after all...

Postby David » 22 Jul 2006, 02:22

Orphaned in the war, Susan comes to America. She settles in a town in the rural Iowa and is both apalled and fascinated bt the different way the people live, react, talk, behave. She meets a Native American who seems puzzled and overly attentive when he is around her. He tells her she is someone who belongs to two worlds. At a local festival she astonishes everyone by winning an archery contest. And for some reason she is the best horseback rider in the region. This eventaully leads her to remember the days of Narnia. The native American (let's call him Star Hawk--and of course he knows the old tribal nature-magic of his people) helps her look for doors so she can get a glimpse of the old world she knew before. They find one, but it leads not to Narnia but into Charn--when it also was a pleasant, lovely place to live, before the rise of Queen Jadis. And so a new series of adventures begins.
The way, the weather, the terrain, the discipline, the leadership. --Sun Tzu
David
Wardrobian

Postby Erekose » 22 Jul 2006, 06:54

erm.....

/me thinks that when it comes to writing a story actually about CoN... "I'm not worthy, I'm not worthy"

synopsis...

Susan in the Lawyers office... Being told how Prof Kirke left everything to her in the event of anything happening... also being handed a package, the contents of which are unknown, being unopened, which was found on the Peters body, and a letter.

Getting home, Susan opens the letter and starts to read the letter, but cannot continue, pocketing it.

She opens the package, and inadvertenytly touches one of the rings within, and finds herself pulled to The Wood between Worlds, where she sees two empty pools.

A kindly voice tells her that the one poool is Narnia, she turns and see before her, wearing a ribbon.....

etc etc etc

and so goes the mind of a Heretic.
Call yourself a dog???? I've seen better hair on a lavatory brush!!!
Erekose
Wardrobian

Postby carol » 22 Jul 2006, 10:02

After the funerals, Susan as sole beneficiary goes to the Prof's small flat (remember his house was lost, in VDT) and discover among his few possessions, a book of drawings he did as a boy after returning from Narnia's creation.
They inspire her so much to return to her faith in Aslan/Christ that she tells the whole story to a stranger she meets on the train home. The old man, when he gets back to his rooms at Oxford, immediately begins to write it down, and decides that a children's fantasy tale is the best style for it.
carol
Wardrobian

Postby King Edmund » 22 Jul 2006, 17:44

Wasn't there a story about this awhile back that I like relly well. She was rich because of her parents the professor and no siblings but board and sad with life. She attended many charity events and her soon to be husband mabee only a boyfreind gave her a gift or something. Oh! A gift of a lion broach or something. It made her remember the past and she was at peace after that. I printed it off and I think you, Carol, sent it to me. It was about three pages long or so.
Without my friends or cousins, I don't make sense. Life would be somewhere not worth my time.

Member of The 2456317 Club
King Edmund
Wardrobian

Postby VixenMage » 22 Jul 2006, 19:44

Normally, I can't write fanfiction about really good books, such as LotR, Space Trilogy, Til We Have Faces, and CoN. But as I was going to bed last night, this thing pulled at my mind and wouldn't let go. So, here it is, the product of staying up working until four in the morning. I'm certain I got a few details wrong... such as the fact that Aslan said he wouldn't see them as the Lion again... which I remembered just after it was too late to go back. >.> But anyway.

Susan tried hard to hold back tears. How could it be? Her brothers, Lucy... everyone she had held dear... gone.

"God, why... how could you?" she whispered. She only had a short journey to go-- one hour by train. The bitter irony of her situation didn't escape her. "Why would you do this to me?" she wondered again, forgetting in her grief that she'd long ago given up on that religious nonsense.

She attracted a few funny looks from other passengers, all dressed in black and whispering to herself, but didn't notice, her mind still engulfed in sorrow. She'd never see them again... and the last time she'd spoken to all of them... to any of them, actually, had been in a petty argument! How could she go on with life, with only that memory of them to hold onto?

After an agonizing hour, which felt like an eternity to the grieving young woman, the train pulled into the station, and she walked off to find her room for the night; the wake was the next morning.

She dreamed for the first time in years, that night: a vivid dreem, like no other that she could remember. It was about lions-- no, a Lion-- and her siblings had been talking with it. It seemed, as she thought back about it, that they had been discussing her... and their grief on how she had tunred her back on them.

At this, her heart nearly broke. It was a children's game, how should she have known they would care so very much for it? She would have played along, truly she would've, if only she'd known...

But this was all nonsense, her reasonable side argued. It was only a dream! Dreams were just that; they were no more, no less, than a product of one's imagination. No matter how strong the dream had been, or the feeling that followed, she could not allow herself to dwell on it.

Thus, it was with a resolute, but very weary heart, that Susan approached the funeral home. The coffins were closed; the train-wreck had taken a toll on their bodies, though they had felt none of it, thank God... she stopped herself. No, no. She mustn't let her principles slip just because of this.

With tremendous effort and strength, she managed to avoid tears. She told herself firmly that it would be silly, little-girlish. She must be strong, now. Throughout the day, she was silent, smiling occasionally as older friends and those who had known them shared memories. But it wasn't until the very end of the wake, just after the sermon, that her firm emotional grip finally slipped.

She had rested one hand on her little sister's coffin-- oh, how horrid that sounded to her mind-- and looked around the room to distract herself. Her eyes fell on a picture, high on the wall... she hadn't noticed it before. It was a painting of a lion. His eyes were... so very real. They seemed to be staring into her very soul. Suddenly, she felt worn... as if her very spirit was exhausted... or starved.

Then, she began to cry. Silently, she sank down into a nearby chair and buried her head in her arms. Oh, Peter... Edmund... Lucy! They were gone, and she had been left to live on alone, Aslan help her--

Aslan...

Then, Susan fainted altogether. She felt something snap inside her, almost as though some part of her had died. A close friend of Edmund's saw her collapse and went over, holding her from hitting the ground. She murmured something, barely audible, as she drifted out of consciousness.

"Once a queen..."

The young man exchanged a confused glance with his brother as the two of them lifted her onto a low table, nearby.

Susan seemed to be falling for quite some time, through a dark void, before she hit the ground, yet found her landing very soft. She blinked and looked around, finding herself on a soft meadow.

"Susan," a deep voice, familiar somehow, sounded behind her.

She whirled, scrambling to her feet to face the speaker, and found herself looking directly into the eyes of a great Lion. His breath was hot on her face-- which, she suddenly realized, was cold, cold as ice. His eyes were terrible-- yet she found solace in them. She lost her voice, and fell to her knees, stunned.

There were several long moments before the Lion spoke again. By then, she had lost all her carefully constructed composure, all of her grown-up dignity, and was weeping openly like a child. He talked for a long time, and she listened and knew before he had finished how every wrong she had been. And long had she repented, when he finally smiled at her, something she had missed with all she soul, though she'd never realized it until then.

"Take heart, Susan," he told her, "And dry your tears. All is forgiven."Then she came forward, and he embraced her, as a prodigal whose return had been long awaited by her anxious father. "Now go in peace, he finally said, and she turned to go back. "But take heed. Narnia has come to the end of her time. You must find the path in your own world now." She nodded, knowing that it would be harder than than her life before, but... she needed it.

"Susan? Susan? She's coming around!"

She blinked and slowly sat up. Had it all been another dream? But-- no. She felt, without a doubt, that Aslan had come to her. She must obey him... there would be no more Narnia to govern, lighting her path. She must follow it with His help anyway, and not stray, and someday, find her beloved brothers and sister, along it as well.

"Yes," she answered, "I'll be fine, thank you."

Like I said... I wrote it last night from 3 to 4 am. So... sorry about the inconsistencies and such.
"The only thing I know for certain is that I know nothing for certain."
VixenMage
Wardrobian

Re: re: Susan gets back to Narnia after all...

Postby carol » 24 Jul 2006, 06:32

King Edmund wrote:Wasn't there a story about this awhile back that I like relly well. ... It made her remember the past and she was at peace after that. I printed it off and I think you, Carol, sent it to me. It was about three pages long or so.

I have no memory of doing that, sorry.
carol
Wardrobian

Postby Pete » 24 Jul 2006, 07:07

David wrote:Orphaned in the war, Susan comes to America.

She wasn't orphaned during the war though - her family died after the war. :wink:

Ohhh...you folk should read the poem I wrote about a month ago - I was going to post it in creative writing, but wasn't sure whether that would be okay - being kind of "fan fiction". I checked with Sven (PMing him) but haven't heard back from him...:undecided:

Pete
Wardrobian

Postby David » 24 Jul 2006, 10:53

Pete wrote:

She wasn't orphaned during the war though - her family died after the war. :wink:

I never knew if the train wreck was before or during the war. I'd always assumed the Germans bombed the train. Maybe not.
The way, the weather, the terrain, the discipline, the leadership. --Sun Tzu
David
Wardrobian

Postby Monica » 24 Jul 2006, 12:43

Quote Carol
I have no memory of doing that, sorry.

I do. I remember that story. Carol, hadn't you written it, or something? You were definitely involved somehow. Think, young mouse, think. :-)
Monica
Wardrobian

Postby Pete » 24 Jul 2006, 14:58

David wrote:
Pete wrote:

I never knew if the train wreck was before or during the war. I'd always assumed the Germans bombed the train. Maybe not.

The impression is certainly given in the story that it's after the war, not only that but only the timeline I think Lewis said it occurred around 1947. By memory the German bombings of the UK ended in 1941 and of course the war was over by 1945 so whatever the case, it definitely was set after the war. :wink:

Pete
Wardrobian

Postby Messenger_of_Eden » 24 Jul 2006, 15:54

I remember reading the haunting story that is being referred to--it brought tears to my eyes! The one where Susan inherits both her parents' and the Professor's money, and engages herself in high society and gives to charities and all that, and then is given a brooch or something with a Lion in it. I don't remember who wrote it though.

The posts around that story actually referenced (Erekose?) a real train wreck that happened in England (I got the impression it was real anyway)--a collision between trains, where there were no survivors. Ghastly, but really a neat tie-in.
"If you believe what you like in the Gospel, and reject what you don't like, it is not the Gospel you believe, but yourself."--St. Augustine of Hippo
Messenger_of_Eden
Wardrobian

Postby Ticket2theMoon » 25 Jul 2006, 00:13

I must say that this entire subject has been such a relief to me. I have been fretting over poor Susan's fate for years. Somehow when I read it the first time I lumped the end of Narnia in with the end of our world and didn't leave Susan a chance to change. Then in a different thread the other day somebody made a reference to Susan having to get to know Aslan by another name (as Lucy is told she must in VDT) and I got to thinking about it all and realized how silly I'd been. It was really ridiculous how much genuine emotion I felt over the plight of this imaginary girl. But I suppose if there is anywhere I can be understood for my attachments to fictional characers, it's here. :pleased: You guys are the best.
===========================================================================================

It is with words as with sunbeams, the more they are condensed, the deeper they burn. --Robert Southey (1774-1843)

Ticket2theMoon
Wardrobian

Postby Messenger_of_Eden » 25 Jul 2006, 00:49

I agree--as will many people here, thus all the stories written about Susan's reclamation (there are other threads about the topic, and they are very interesting). CSL never closed the door on Susan; he left it quite open as a matter of fact.

After all, Susan was not an evil woman. She simply lacked an enduring faith that what they had experienced was real. As a young woman her priorities got messed up and this contributed to the death of her faith in Narnia and Aslan. Perhaps the fact that they always emerged from Narnia exactly as they had entered it confused her.

The Chronicles describe the childrens' memories of Narnia (the longer they had been back in our world) as dreamlike. Remember that in Prince Caspian, though Lucy had spent years and years in Narnia, growing up as a Queen, hunting, fighting, and swimming, she had trouble with swimming in school upon her return, and she related to the world as a child of her age would, not as a grown Queen in a child's body would. This tells me that to a large degree, the life they had experienced in Narnia would fade and only linger as a dream.

Perhaps the more often a child went there, coupled with the degree of faith in Aslan that they had, the more vivid and real the memory was on this side, and conversely, the less faith they had, and the fewer times they were able to go (Susan only went twice) the more muddled and dreamlike the memories would become, thus leading Susan to convince herself that they had only been playing games.

I like to imagine that she came to Christ, and in the end of her life , met Him and finally realized that He IS the Great Lion. After all, He is a Lion in both worlds. Figuratively here, yes. But we call Him the Lion.
"If you believe what you like in the Gospel, and reject what you don't like, it is not the Gospel you believe, but yourself."--St. Augustine of Hippo
Messenger_of_Eden
Wardrobian

Postby Ticket2theMoon » 25 Jul 2006, 01:11

Pete wrote:
David wrote:
Pete wrote:

The impression is certainly given in the story that it's after the war, not only that but only the timeline I think Lewis said it occurred around 1947. By memory the German bombings of the UK ended in 1941 and of course the war was over by 1945 so whatever the case, it definitely was set after the war. :wink:

The layers of quotes are becoming confusing! As a matter of fact, Peter (or maybe Edmund) specifically refers to how fast the train is coming in to the station. I think the implication is that this is just an accident.
===========================================================================================

It is with words as with sunbeams, the more they are condensed, the deeper they burn. --Robert Southey (1774-1843)

Ticket2theMoon
Wardrobian

Next

Return to The Chronicles of Narnia