This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

The Last Battle

Please don't close the door behind you.

The Last Battle

Postby Mavramorn » August 28th, 2006, 12:56 am

When I had read all the other Narnia books (some more than once) I was still reluctant to read The Last Battle because I was afraid to read about Narnia's destruction. When I finally got the courage to read it I found it absolutely amazing. I was impressed by the way hope was kept up that this book would end in the same way as the others, that things would go back to normal, while all along I knew deep down that things would never be the same again. The tension between these two aspects kept up in this book is amazing and heartbreaking. I loved the way Lewis mercilessly 'unravelled' different aspects of Narnia in this book, so much so it left me dizzy with bitter surprise. I read this book for the first time when I was fourteen.

"The worst thing in the world has come upon us."

"We have lived too long."

"If we had died before this day we should have been happy."

"For a moment terrible thoughts arose in his heart."
"Could it be true, that I hold here in my mortal hand, a nugget of purest...green?"
Mavramorn
Wardrobian

re: The Last Battle

Postby Messenger_of_Eden » August 28th, 2006, 6:17 am

"If you believe what you like in the Gospel, and reject what you don't like, it is not the Gospel you believe, but yourself."--St. Augustine of Hippo
Messenger_of_Eden
Wardrobian

Postby Sarah N. » August 28th, 2006, 9:41 am

Of course The Last Battle is sad, but it also so full of joy at the end, that I can't help but smile. It is wonderful to see all the children together with Digory and Polly, and to watch their joy as they see the true Narnia for what it is. One of my favorite little stories in all of Narnia is the story of Emeth and the hope that it offers. I cling to the story of Emeth, even more now that I have many friends on the internet who are of widely differing religious beliefs.
Live in the world as if only God and your soul were in it; then your heart will never be made captive by any earthly thing. ~ St. John of the Cross

Member of the 2456317 Club.
Sarah N.
Wardrobian

Postby MKnProud » August 28th, 2006, 12:36 pm

I have a similar reaction to Last Battle; I don't want it to end, ever. I have read the Chronicles at least once a year since I was introduced to them in the 4th grade and each time, I finish smiling through tears. While the Lord of the Rings books, much as I love them, tend to depress me for a few days after I finish them, Last Battle gives me a hope a joy that actually re-energize me. I think it's in the differing views of 'heaven.' LOTR has the characters separated in death; beloved friends or families spilt forever after death. In Narnia, however, it's the opposite. Once the Friends have come safe into Aslan's Country, they see beloved friends they lost ages ago and not only that, their parents are there as well. They even get to have both Narnia AND England, since they're both on the mountain range. As an MK, that has always touched me deeply- the hope, the dream, that someday all goodbyes will be over and all those I've loved will be with me; I won't have to miss one dear person to be with another. I love Jewel's statement that "I have come home at last! This is my real country! I belong here. This is the land I have been looking for all my life, though I never knew it till now." That chokes me up every single time.
MKnProud

Re: re: The Last Battle

Postby Stanley Anderson » August 28th, 2006, 3:06 pm

…on a night of rain Frodo smelled a sweet fragrance on the air and heard the sound of singing that came over the water. And then it seemed to him that as in his dream in the house of Bombadil, the grey rain-curtain turned all to silver glass and was rolled back, and he beheld white shores and beyond them a fair green country under a swift sunrise.
Stanley Anderson
Wardrobian

Postby Sven » August 28th, 2006, 7:10 pm

Well said, Stanley!
Rat! he found breath to whisper, shaking. Are you afraid?
Afraid? murmured the Rat, his eyes shining with unutterable love.
Afraid! Of Him? O, never, never! And yet -- and yet -- O, Mole, I am afraid!
Then the two animals, crouching to the earth, bowed their heads and did worship.
Sven

Postby A#minor » August 28th, 2006, 8:41 pm

I seldom read Last Battle when I re-read the Chronicles every summer.
It's just too sad, and I know I'll bawl all through it. Tirian is so desperate and hopeless through much of the book.
I am glad that it ends on a positive note though. It's so fun to see Reepicheep and the others in a Narnian heaven at the end.
"My brain and this world don't fit each other, and there's an end of it!" - G.K. Chesterton
A#minor
Wardrobian

Postby Mavramorn » August 28th, 2006, 11:39 pm

Hey thanks for the replies. I agree that the ending is without any doubt a good one; however I don't think I'm alone in feeling loss for the 'shadow' Narnia, because however you look at it, at least that part has been lost forever. I don't know about anyone else, but I prefer the 'original' Narnia, but that is because I can't imagine the 'true' one (can't see really how good it is).

As a matter of interest, who thinks Narnia was 'meant' to end before the beginning of the events in the books? Or who thinks the actual events are what lead to its end - that it might at some point have been averted? Personally I think the latter - but what do you think might have been the 'point of no return'?
"Could it be true, that I hold here in my mortal hand, a nugget of purest...green?"
Mavramorn
Wardrobian

Postby Messenger_of_Eden » August 29th, 2006, 5:34 pm

"If you believe what you like in the Gospel, and reject what you don't like, it is not the Gospel you believe, but yourself."--St. Augustine of Hippo
Messenger_of_Eden
Wardrobian

Postby Stanley Anderson » August 29th, 2006, 5:53 pm

…on a night of rain Frodo smelled a sweet fragrance on the air and heard the sound of singing that came over the water. And then it seemed to him that as in his dream in the house of Bombadil, the grey rain-curtain turned all to silver glass and was rolled back, and he beheld white shores and beyond them a fair green country under a swift sunrise.
Stanley Anderson
Wardrobian

Postby Messenger_of_Eden » August 29th, 2006, 7:10 pm

*Ahem*, I was talking about Narnia and the books, specifically :lol:
Messenger_of_Eden
Wardrobian

Postby Mavramorn » August 31st, 2006, 12:49 am

Mavramorn
Wardrobian

Postby Shadowland Dweller » August 31st, 2006, 4:47 am

Shadowland Dweller
Wardrobian

Postby Messenger_of_Eden » August 31st, 2006, 6:08 am

Messenger_of_Eden
Wardrobian

Postby King Edmund » September 1st, 2006, 10:12 pm

Me on the other end. I hate endings. It means no more books after that.
Without my friends or cousins, I don't make sense. Life would be somewhere not worth my time.

Member of The 2456317 Club
King Edmund
Wardrobian

Next

Return to The Chronicles of Narnia