This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

Mary and the stable

Please don't close the door behind you.

Postby interloper » October 19th, 2006, 10:12 pm

I've read your posts, Stanley, and find them most thought provoking. It seems you have been seeking for a long time and (as Jesus Himself promised) have found, or are on the point of finding. No, I didn't mean to imply anything one way or the other in the bit you quoted, other than to point out that the verse of the hymn by JSB Monsell appears, to some degree, to run contrary the reputation of the church he was rector of. Of course well over a century has passed since his time, and I have practically no information on what went on in the intervening years. My (rather rambling) post was motivated more by Carol's comments a couple of days ago than anything else.

But I do find what you have been saying very interesting, indeed instructive. In some ways there is a parallel between your experience and mine, in the sense that we have both experienced a movement in what would commonly (but simplistically) be seen as the direction low -> high. My roots were in the Open Brethren, as I mentioned (I don't know if you know of them, they're fairly well known in the USA). I cherish those early years for several reasons, but for other reasons I'm pleased to have moved on. Anything vaguely suggestive of symbolism was anathema to the Brethren - even a lace cloth on the communion table was considered idolatrous! The problem with the Brethren was (and to a large extent, still is) that they cannot distinguish between an icon and an idol. Hence robes of office worn by clergy ('elder' is the only office in the Brethren, though most now appoint deacons as well), stained-glass windows, a lace cloth for the communion table - even a wooden cross - is shunned. They are definitely neo-iconoclasts! It is only since I've 'become C of E' (it's official, I was confirmed!) that I have recognised the enormous value of symbolism. The Brethren's notion is that there is nothing of a visible or temporal nature that is either necessary or desirable in the worship of God (except of course the Sacraments themselves, which were specifically introduced by Jesus), but I have definitely moved away from that line of thinking. There is one particularly outstanding example in my recent experience, but I need to give a bit of background before relating it.

I live in a village called Cranleigh in the south of England. Although it's really too large to be considered a village in the usual sense (about 14,000 population), it is a self-contained rural community, separated from other nearby towns and villages by countryside, and a real sense of 'our local community' prevails. Because of this, and because it's in England, the local C of E Parish Church is considered by most to be 'the church'; virtually all those who only go to church on special occasions like Christmas and Easter, automatically go to the C of E. It wouldn't enter their heads to go anywhere else - we're English, so naturally we go to the Church of England (if we go anywhere at all). The C of E is still very much the church of the establishment in the minds of the English, particularly in rural and semi-rural areas. At one time of course it was the only church in Cranleigh: it was built in 1170 and there wouldn't have been any other sort of church here before the 18th century (though there may have been a small Roman Catholic following by the 17th century, just not sure; BTW website is ). But of course nowadays there are others: quite a lively and well attended Roman Catholic church, also a Baptist and Methodist, plus one or two small independent groups.

During the morning service on Good Friday, a massive wooden cross (8 or 10ft tall) is carried down the aisle and laid at the front of the chancel. Then someone, usually one of the youngsters, comes up to the cross and slowly hits it several times with a large hammer. The atmosphere this creates is quite amazing: it's as if we can sense the unimaginable tragedy of our Lord being put to death. Of course the feeling of tragedy is swept away on the Sunday, when the theme is naturally, Hallelujah, Christ is risen! After the service on Good Friday, the cross is carried by a couple of physically able men down the path to the lych gate, where we meet up with our Roman Catholic friends, and move off in procession to the centre of the village. There we hold an open-air service, relevant to the occasion, with those from the other churches attending. One year I was asked to be one of the cross bearers. It involved carrying it into the service, then afterwards carrying it down to the road and along the main street to the point where the outdoor service is held. For me it was one of the most significant occasions in my life: there I was, literally carrying this huge cross in full view of the public. I've never experienced a sense of following Christ's command in quite the same way, before or since: "you must take up your cross and follow me". As an aside, it turned out that as we met up with our RC friends on that occasion, the other cross bearer was called away so one of the Catholic men joined me as cross bearer. There we were: brothers in Christ, not agreeing in all things of course, but united in our determination to bear the cross of our Lord. It still brings tears to my eyes to think of it!

I still believe of course that one's own experience of Christ is personal, and carrying His cross involves sacrifice on my part, not merely carrying a chunk of wood down the road ("you must deny yourself, and take up the cross" - I'm not too good at the first part). But the value of this type of symbolism is inestimable, and I totally agree with your "not either/or, but as well as" concept.
interloper
Wardrobian

Postby Puddleglee » October 20th, 2006, 10:13 am

Stanley - I can, actually, just about get my head around Mary as the stable - although I also think it's a bit insulting to call a woman a 'shed' :tongue: I was becoming horribly afraid that your new found love of the RC Church was causing you to place the mother above the Son. Thanks for the clarification.

I also feel suitably chastened, RE: the nature of the Priest in the RC Church. I hope I was clear enough about my Protestant prejudices; there are lots of things about the RC Church (and High Anglecism) that make me uncomfortable, but I accept that much of that is probably due to my ignorance. I think I may also be guilty of the Protestant failing of seeing things in black and white (the lapsing into 'either/or' that you mentioned). Certainly, I would not wish to appear to condemn RCs simply for being RCs - Interloper reminds us that we are all children of God, and worshippers of Christ, just with different approaches.

I rather like your image of the rose, but I disagree with how you think I, as a Protestant, might treat it. I certainly do wish to view the rose directly, without interruption or constraint, but I would not remove the petals to do so. The beauty of the rose is in its entirity, not its parts. Rather, I would expect an RC to feel the need to gild the petals in order to 'enhance' them, or to seal it away in an overly-decorative box to 'protect' it. Again, I admit probable ignorance

I didn't mean to imply that Emeth could go back to worshipping Tash - I think his own words imply that he has no thought of doing so. Before knowing Aslan, he gave the true worship of his heart to Tash. Knowing Aslan, there is no question of where his future worship will be directed.

Finally *deep breath*, your references to imagery. I grew up reading CoN blissfully ignorant of their 'hidden message'. I went to church, so it wasn't the absence of Christ in my life that lead to my ignorance - I just didn't 'get it'. And then, when I was about 13, I was reading LWW - and the whole thing hit me like a brick, and I wondered how I had possibly missed it before.

The point I'm trying to make is that CoN may be a way of introducing Christianity to children, but it shouldn't be taken for granted that it will be obvious to everyone! Certainly, 'knowing' Christ through Aslan is not something I would discourage. Aslan is presented as a far more dynamic figure, I think, than Jesus sometimes is. And the children's adventures are so exciting, they cannot fail to interest. And(!) even non-Christian children must be able to learn from the life lessons laid out in the stories.

I am not averse to 'images'. My own (very simply decorated) church has an alpha and omega in one of the windows, and we have a couple of 'empty' silver crosses (one of which has marks that seem to indicate it was originally a crucifix :wink: ). However, for me, statues of saints put up a barrier between me and God, so I feel uncomfortable where there are 'images' of people in a church. This is very much a matter of taste, though, I think. If others get something out of it, that's great - for them :tongue:

Well, this post is nearly as long as yours! Think I'll stop, now :pleased:
'Ridden a wha-ha-ha-hat!' - Bree

Member of the 2456317Club!
Puddleglee
Wardrobian

Postby Stanley Anderson » October 21st, 2006, 4:52 am

…on a night of rain Frodo smelled a sweet fragrance on the air and heard the sound of singing that came over the water. And then it seemed to him that as in his dream in the house of Bombadil, the grey rain-curtain turned all to silver glass and was rolled back, and he beheld white shores and beyond them a fair green country under a swift sunrise.
Stanley Anderson
Wardrobian

Postby Puddleglee » October 23rd, 2006, 10:13 am

Oooh, Stanley - this is so much fun! If there's one thing I love about debate, it is that, even if both sides still believe at the end what they believed at the beginning, at least they'll know why they believe it.

I only have time to pick up on one of your points - the one about the Priest being the 'embodiment' of Christ at the Eucharist. Certainly, I believe that Christ is present as He promised 'whenever 2 or 3 are gathered together', but I would stop short of Him needing a human body to occupy. Why would He need that? And surely it robs the service of some of its mysticism to have a physically (rather than spiritually) present Christ?

Puddleglee
Wardrobian

Postby Stanley Anderson » October 23rd, 2006, 3:09 pm

…on a night of rain Frodo smelled a sweet fragrance on the air and heard the sound of singing that came over the water. And then it seemed to him that as in his dream in the house of Bombadil, the grey rain-curtain turned all to silver glass and was rolled back, and he beheld white shores and beyond them a fair green country under a swift sunrise.
Stanley Anderson
Wardrobian

Postby Janet » October 23rd, 2006, 5:06 pm

Janet
Wardrobian

Postby Janet » October 23rd, 2006, 5:10 pm

Janet
Wardrobian

Postby Janet » October 23rd, 2006, 5:11 pm

Janet
Wardrobian

Postby Janet » October 23rd, 2006, 5:51 pm

Janet
Wardrobian

Postby Puddleglee » October 24th, 2006, 10:51 am

Puddleglee
Wardrobian

Postby Janet » October 24th, 2006, 1:49 pm

Janet
Wardrobian

Re: Mary and the stable

Postby matdonna » October 24th, 2006, 10:38 pm

matdonna
Wardrobian

Postby Puddleglee » October 25th, 2006, 11:22 am

Puddleglee
Wardrobian

Postby Stanley Anderson » October 25th, 2006, 3:47 pm

Stanley Anderson
Wardrobian

Postby Janet » October 25th, 2006, 3:54 pm

Janet
Wardrobian

PreviousNext

Return to The Chronicles of Narnia