This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

Best CON audio books?

Please don't close the door behind you.

Best CON audio books?

Postby David Jack » October 25th, 2006, 8:15 pm

The other day I bought an 'audio book' of 'The Magician's Nephew' read by Kenneth Branagh (unabridged, of course) and have so far listened to 3 of the 4 CDs. I've owned other CON audio books in the past, including pure narrations like this one (the others were read by Michael Horden) or full cast dramatisations. I think Branagh's version is the best i've heard though: he has that sort of mellow english accent that fits the material plus of course he's a very good actor (he does a Scottish accent for the she-elephant and the jackdaw appears to be michael caine!)

Voice recordings, as opposed to the audio/visual combination of tv or movies have their own unique advantages. They have less of a sudden impact than do film versions (i remember being quite transported initially by the aesthetic qualities of the recent blockbuster) but because their appeal lies in the more substantial source of the reader's skill (and the authentic words of lewis-there were no horrendous liberties taken here) i expect my interest in them to last far longer.

This recording of MN is part of a series, btw, and I think the label is Harper Collins. I may well buy them all but I'm particularly interested in 'The Last battle' which is read by Patrick Stewart. Has anybody else listened to these or others they've been impressed by?
"This is and has been the Father’s work from the beginning-to bring us into the home of His heart.” George MacDonald.
David Jack
Wardrobian

Postby Larry W. » October 25th, 2006, 10:57 pm

I have an old set of LP records with The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe, Prince Caspian, Voyage of the Dawn Treader, and The Silver Chair. The actors which read the abridged stories are Ian Richardson, Claire Bloom, and Anthony Quayle. Some of the audio clips on the multimedia page of this website are from those recordings. The actors' readings are lively and at times dynamic, but the recordings are each only about an hour long. I like them about as much as the Focus on the Family radio dramas, which are about two or three hours devoted to each book. The actors' readings, however, are well worth hearing if you don't mind the abridgements. It would be nice if they were longer, but they do include some of the highlights of the stories. I think they are still available on CD's and cassettes with readings from all seven books.

Larry W.
Larry W.
Wardrobian

Postby Sarah N. » October 26th, 2006, 4:27 am

I haven't listened to any audio books of the Chronicles, but I did listen to the Space Trilogy on tape, read by Grover Gardner. I think this helped me appreciate these books more, because he reads very well, and I tend to read too fast if the action gets going. The steadiness of his reading helped me absorb the beauty of Lewis' prose. Also, the way he accented words when he spoke helped me see new meanings in sentences I might have passed over without notice if I were reading it on my own.
Live in the world as if only God and your soul were in it; then your heart will never be made captive by any earthly thing. ~ St. John of the Cross

Member of the 2456317 Club.
Sarah N.
Wardrobian

Postby carol » October 26th, 2006, 6:29 am

carol
Wardrobian

Postby john » October 26th, 2006, 9:51 am

john
Chief Wardrobian
john
Chief Wardrobian

Postby Shadowland Dweller » October 26th, 2006, 3:01 pm

Shadowland Dweller
Wardrobian

Postby Shadowland Dweller » November 1st, 2006, 7:35 pm

well I found out the downside to ordering christmas presents in Nov........ :rolleyes: :wink: I can't believe that not only do I have to wait to give the set, but I have to wait till I get to listen to them :tongue:
hmmmmm........maybe I should just wrap it up and give it to my hubbie for no other reason except I love him?? or, do you think he will suspect I have cheated and listened to them before him if the package is taped back together?? :toothy-grin:
Shadowland Dweller
Wardrobian

Postby Larry W. » November 2nd, 2006, 1:35 am

What a great Christmas present the Focus on the Family radio dramas would make! I bought mine all seperately because after purchasing one or two I decided I wanted the whole set. It was a little expensive, but I never regretted spending the money. So don't be surprised if you want it for yourself-- it's something that everyone who loves C.S. Lewis should own.

Larry W.
Larry W.
Wardrobian

Postby Shadowland Dweller » November 3rd, 2006, 4:05 am

Shadowland Dweller
Wardrobian

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » November 3rd, 2006, 2:22 pm

Member of The 2456317 Club
Warrior 4 Jesus
Wardrobian

Postby Larry W. » November 4th, 2006, 2:05 am

Larry W.
Wardrobian

My favourite was the Michael Hordern one!

Postby captainhaddock » November 10th, 2006, 6:47 pm

captainhaddock
Wardrobian

Re: My favourite was the Michael Hordern one!

Postby Stanley Anderson » November 10th, 2006, 8:45 pm

…on a night of rain Frodo smelled a sweet fragrance on the air and heard the sound of singing that came over the water. And then it seemed to him that as in his dream in the house of Bombadil, the grey rain-curtain turned all to silver glass and was rolled back, and he beheld white shores and beyond them a fair green country under a swift sunrise.
Stanley Anderson
Wardrobian

Postby Messenger_of_Eden » December 15th, 2006, 4:14 am

"If you believe what you like in the Gospel, and reject what you don't like, it is not the Gospel you believe, but yourself."--St. Augustine of Hippo
Messenger_of_Eden
Wardrobian

Postby john » December 15th, 2006, 8:39 am

john
Chief Wardrobian
john
Chief Wardrobian

Next

Return to The Chronicles of Narnia